Notices

Some of the Best People I Know

Old 09-10-2007, 07:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Some of the Best People I Know

Just got back from my regular Monday night home group meeting where I got to see a fellow member get his 28 year token. This guy is such an inspiration, not just because he has not had a drink in 28 years, but because he has made such difference in so many people's lives and because serenity and happiness seem to swirl around him.

Anyways, this got me to thinking that some of the best people I know, some of the people I admire most these days, and some of the people I enjoy being around the most, are alcoholics and addicts but I only know this because they have told me. I've never actually seen them take a drink or a drug or behave like someone who does ( or ever did in some cases.)

Recovery is pretty awesome when you get right down to it.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for sharing this Tony...

It's a good example of why I consider we
are special people rather than the term normal.

I see so many newcomers who just want to be normal.
Fie!
In recovery...we are new special people!
Miracles are not normal.

Blessings
Old 09-10-2007, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

At my daughter's wedding and one of the in laws who I had met for the first time had something about him that I said... I like this guy. He is such a nice guy.
I go to find out later he is an addict that has 10 years clean and sober.
I totally agree.... people in recovery are some of the nicest people I have ever met.
Even Anon people *LOL* but most of them are nice to start with.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I agree whole heartedly, it always amazes me to go to speakers meetings and hear some people share thier story, here is a person who was in the bowels of hell at one time and yet to see them you would swear that they had always been a peaceful serene person. They seem to radiate peace and serenity from every pore, the one thing I have found in common amoung those with the "Glow" is that when they share their story of recovery they cover the steps they took and continue to work and live, they let others know that the key to peace and serenity lie in working and living those steps. I have found that peace and serenity even though it is still in its infancy for me.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Very true. One of my favorite people at my home meeting celebrated 30 years not long ago. She's a wise and kind old (not so old - she got sober at 16 or 17) owl. And another man with 18 or 19 years - even though he swears like a trooper, and doesn't suffer fools gladly, there's something very stable about him. Underneath it all, he seems to have an air of calm certainty about him that is really admirable and enviable.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

nolonger this:
She's a wise and kind
there's something very stable about him. Underneath it all, he seems to have an air of calm certainty about him that is really admirable and enviable
You made me think of something my sponsor has spoke of and that is if I have gained what I need from a sponsor and someone comes along with something else I could benefit from that I would like it can be a wisw move to switch sponsors. He told me that it should be talked over with ones present sponsor, but that there is nothing wrong with looking to learn more from someone else.

I have heard that as long as one remains teachable and is learning they are doing okay, I have a lot to learn from my present sponsor before I would consider changing sponsors though.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wink

Hi finding out

The bonds we make in recovery are in deed so awesome.

I wear a pinky ring that has the AA symbol on it...In early recovery I did a considerable amount of travelin and met folks from every walk of life, doing life on life's terms. Often I met them out of the rooms of recovery. There was always someone where ever I was that would recognize it. Several times it was just the thing I needed at the time...a few times the other person would say what a gift it was due to things going on with them at that particular time.
The other week I was able to witness a gentleman getting his 38 year chip...A woman came to me afterwards and said she had wanted to go out that night but seeing him get that chip inspired her to speak up to share with me the problem she was dealing with.
We are blessed ..and I am overpaid.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by findingout View Post
Recovery is pretty awesome when you get right down to it.
A program of attraction indeed. Awesome share Tony, thanks!
Old 09-11-2007, 08:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yup, a group of great people, no doubt. Yes, we all have prob elms & idiosyncrasies. But we're just humans.....It's nice to be a part of the human race.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

So many old timers seem to not only lead by example, but make those of us who walk in the doors of AA "crave their approval", The seem to inspire this desire; usually by trusting us when no one, including ourselves, has for a very long time.

If anyone really thinks we can define "sobriety" as the state without alcohol, they haven't observed our elder statesmen in action.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

If anyone really thinks we can define "sobriety" as the state without alcohol, they haven't observed our elder statesmen in action.
Jon I agree with you totally! There is a peace and serenity that comes with sobriety, we really have stopped fighting other people, things, and even alcohol itself. Sobriety is to me a freedom from self centerdness, sobriety allows me to look the world in the eye and look myself in the eye and know that I am a good honest person that others can trust because I trust myself and put others welfare in front of my own.