Notices

Allergy meds

Old 09-01-2007, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
harleygirl92156

Allergy meds

I am not sure if I am in the right place, but will give it a try. Forgive me if I need to be in a different forum.

My husband has nearly three years of sobriety under his belt. He suffers a great deal this time of year with allergies and is afraid to take any over the counter med to ease his symptoms and make him a little more comfortable.

Is there anything that is safe for him to take? We know nothing with alcohol, but is there other things we should avoid. Have always heard sudifed is bad, but never knew why?

Our doctor is pretty clueless, just knows NEVER to give him a narcotic without EXPRESS permission.

Any insight or personal experience here would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You!!
Old 09-01-2007, 01:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I would find another doctor who has a clue about all this.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Smile

Yep, a doctor who understands alcoholism is in order I think. Then, as long as he’s honest with the doctor about his condition(s), he should be able to take whatever he needs.

BTW, I don’t think Sudafed has anything to do with alcoholism. It can amp you up, but it can also clear out a stuffy head like nothing else I know of.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

A book called The "Recovery Book" has some guidelines.

I agree with others, find a Dr. with a clue! It is so unfortunate that most Doctors have almost no clue when it comes to addictions.

I am very careful with over the counter meds of all types.

Also, please note that it is against forum rules to give medical advice, so any answers you get here will probably be general in nature.

Good luck,

Ted
Old 09-01-2007, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i have allergies and i take sudafed! no problems for me. im not a doctor but i know it works for me!!
Old 09-01-2007, 03:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wink Hey, I have the Recovery Book

But mine just says Alcoholics Anonymous on it.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...I would be finding a knowledgeable doctor....
and "The Recovery Book"

Good Luck
Old 09-01-2007, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Talking Should I look at my book again? Maybe it's broken?

Okay, what the heck is the Recovery Book? Do I need it?
Old 09-01-2007, 07:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

I found this to be an excellent practical sort of reference book on alcoholism, addiction and especially recovery.

Ted

The Recovery Book (Paperback)
by Arlene Eisenberg (Author), Howard Eisenberg (Author)

From Library Journal
Addressed primarily to recovering addicts and their families, this book relies heavily on the Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) game plan for success. The question-and-answer format is conducive to a personalized approach and will appeal to the individual struggling to make progress on the road to recovery. Beginning with "First Step: Deciding to Quit," the book offers guidelines and encouragement and outlines the pitfalls and challenges that each addict must face and overcome. The detox process is graphically described, and the authors emphasize the hard work needed to maintain sobriety. The last part of the book is devoted to recommendations for rebuilding and restructuring one's life with the help of AA. For self-help collections.
- Carol R. Glatt, VA Medical Ctr. Lib., Philadelphia
Copyright 1992 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Book Description
A unique collaboration between Dr. Al Mooney, head of the Willingway Hospital, Arlene Eisenberg, coauthor of the What to Expect books, and medical journalist Howard Eisenberg, The Recovery Bookis the first book to explain exactly what a recovering addict and his or her family will face during every stage of living clean and sober.

The authors provide a wealth of information on in- and out-patient services, support groups, family relationships, temptations, and worries. Hundreds of questions and answers address every particular of what a person in recovery can expect, from mental and physical health concerns to why a former cocaine addict should not use Windex.

What withdrawal is like. When the euphoria of not drinking wanes. Feeling uncomfortable at AA. Regaining trust. Sleep problems. What to tell co-workers. Twenty ways to dump depression and anxiety. Making and using leisure time. Learning what normal is. From detox to the three phases of recovery--Saving Your Life, Enriching Your Life, Prolonging Your Life--The Recovery Book leads addicts through recovery's highs, lows, pitfalls, and challenges. Includes sections on AA and other support groups, exercise, health, the Clean and Sober Recovery Diet, and quitting smoking. First prize winner of the 1993 Markie Award, sponsored by the National Foundation for Alcoholism and Addiction Communication (NFAAC). Over 209,000 copies in print.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

The book was originally written as a guide to give the patients who attended the treatment program at willingway hospital.

Interesting history:

(and no, I've never been there)

Willingway Hospital began with a simple vision — to help the suffering alcoholics and drug addicts find sobriety.

During the 1950s, Dr. John Mooney was a well-respected physician with a flourishing practice in the small, quaint town of Statesboro, GA. He and his wife, Dot, had three children, all boys, and, for all practical purposes, appeared to be a normal family. They were active in church, the PTA and other community organizations. But Dr. John and Dot had a secret — they were addicted to alcohol, sedatives, tranquilizers and narcotics. Over a period of years, they were admitted to various hospitals and institutions, receiving many types of chemical and psychiatric therapy.

In 1959, Dr. John found himself standing before his hometown Judge charged with writing illegal prescriptions. He was sentenced to six months the U. S. Public Health Service Hospital in Lexington, KY. What appeared to be a devastating turn of events for the Mooney family would later prove to be their starting point.

Dr. John returned home a changed man. Dot was also able to give up her habits and together they embarked on a recovery journey that would change their lives and the lives of thousands of others like them.

The couple began traveling and meeting with others in recovery. Dr. John was able to use his medical skills to help others suffering with addiction. Word soon traveled that a small-town Georgia doctor knew how to help people get sober in a warm, compassionate environment. It wasn’t long before people came from everywhere bringing loved once for advice, evaluation and treatment. So many people came for help that the county hospital was unable to keep up with the requests for detoxification beds. Unwilling to turn anyone away, Dr. John and Mrs. Dot decided to receive patients in their home, reserving the hospital beds for the most critically ill patients.

Consequently, their home became a boarding house and treatment center. The dining room became the in-house detox area; many patients awoke to find themselves under the glowing lights of a chandelier. Over time, that chandelier has become a symbol of hope and inspiration. Even today, a chandelier hangs in the Willingway Hospital detox unit.

Patients were treated as part of the extended family, and thrived under the supervision and interaction with the Mooney family, their many recovering friends and co-workers. Their home was always busy, once having 26 people under the same roof!

As time went by, a unique treatment program emerged. Patients were treated with dignity and encouraged to take the necessary time out of their busy lives to concentrate solely on their recovery. Dr. John provided counseling for the men while Dot counseled the women. They held group sessions and developed an educational lecture series.

Eventually, they recognized the need for expansion. At first, they simply made plans to add a wing to their home. But then the neighbors spoke up — although they expressed complete support for the Mooney’s newfound happiness and desire to help others, they did not want a permanent treatment center in the middle of their quiet neighborhood.

The City of Statesboro and the Small Business Association suggested a freestanding hospital. Recognizing the growing need for hospitals specializing in the treatment of alcoholism and drug dependency, Dr. and Mrs. Mooney agreed. They had already developed a successful program. Their genuine love, understanding, and concern for each patient is still the basis of Willingway’s philosophy today.

Willingway has been in operation as a licensed hospital since August 11, 1971, and is among the original alcohol and drug facilities accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).

The hospital has retained the family atmosphere and believes this to be a valuable asset. Staff sensitivity and the close, personal staff-to-patient interactions are important reasons as to why Willingway continues to be one of the most recommended treatment centers in the country. Willingway has treated thousands from every region of the United States and several foreign countries.

Doctor and Mrs. Mooney dedicated their lives to educating, preventing, and treating alcoholism and drug dependency. Both became well-known and respected experts in the addiction medicine field. In 1982, the couple stepped down as Director and Associate Director of Willingway.

Their four children, Dr. Al J. Mooney, III, Jimmy Mooney, Dr. Bobby Mooney, and Carol Lind (Mooney) Bryan have since comprised the Willingway Board of Directors and stay actively involved in all hospital operations, continuing their parents’ vision of helping the suffering alcoholics and addicts find sobriety.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I have wicked allergies too (all the animals in the house). I use a prescription allergy medicine. As far as I know, as long as there is no codeine, prescription allergy meds/OTC meds like Sudefed should be ok to use if your an alcoholic.

I agree with the others regarding finding a new doc!

I'm not a doctor nor play one on tv.