Notices

Confussed about feeling so good..

Old 08-27-2007, 04:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Confussed about feeling so good..

O.K. so I'm into my 5th week of being completely sober and for some reason I'm still waiting for the difficult part in all of this.

I have been drinking since I was 14 (now 35) and during the last few years it got to be an every day thing. Not too heavy but I would drink anywhere from 4 to 10 beers per night but the norm was probably more in the 6 ball park. Weekends was another story though. Though I managed to stay sober some weekends I usually looked forward to them because it was "drinking time".

Anyway, that's just a little background. During the past couple of years I suspected I had a problem (more like knew I did) so I would test myself to see if I could go without drinking. I would manage 3 or 4 months with no problem so I would figure -no problem here- and continue to drink.

5 weeks ago I decided to give it up for good and not just to test myself. I saw that I was beginning to drink more and I didn't want it to affect my quality time with my 19 month and 4 month old sons. So after reading here many things from the "horrible withdrawls" to the unbearable temptations I thought I was in for a horrible experience. Well, it's been anything but horrible. I didn't have much withdrawl symptoms since I used the tapper method to get off alcohol and it worked perfect contrary to everyones opinions here. After I stopped drinking completely I've had absolutely no cravings.. No lie, none at all. I've had multiple opportunities to drink and have not had a desire. So I'm a little confused when I read the posts on here. I'm honestly not writing this for any other reason than to express my confusion as to why I'm not having a similar experience than most people on here??

As of today, I feel great, have started loosing weight, working out, enjoying my weekends with my friends and family, etc...

I do know I should be careful not to think I'm o.k. and fall back into drinking. On the contrary, I know I'm an alcoholic and I know I can NEVER drink again. It just doesn't seem like such a daunting task as it did when I read the horror stories on here. Maybe I should just consider myself lucky and keep reminding myself of where I don't want to end up. Maybe one day all cravings will hit me like a ton of bricks..

I know I'm still early into sobriety but I feel stronger every day and more determined NOT to drink. I've only gone to AA a couple of times the first week because of lack of time to go but at this point I can't see the benefit to me going unless I start feeling like I may cave in.

Anyway, just a rant with my experience since I haven't seen anyone write about a lack of withdrawls and cravings
Old 08-27-2007, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Everyone's experience is different. I consider myself fortunate and blessed that I have had no cravings since day one - 11 years ago. I also realize that this is just me. The desire may come back - I don't know - but I try to keep a firm spiritual foundation and connection to AA in order to be ready. I don't want to take any chances. Also, I enjoy meetings and recovery. Most of the time.
Mike
Old 08-27-2007, 04:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Macphisto,

Yours is an interesting perspective. last night I met with a newcomer at a meeting and she shared that she was coming up on a year of sobriety without meetings. She just started coming to meetings recently after a friend committed suicide and she felt as though she were on shaky ground and needed the support of others in recovery.

You're quite fortunate in that you haven't experienced cravings, and that you are enjoying the many benefits of sobriety. As you've read, others have not been so fortunate. I rarely have cravings today, but in early sobriety I did A LOT.

So - this is your experience - why rock the boat? If you're happy, and you're sober, that's what matters. Not everyone needs a program of recovery. You seem to have a firm grasp on the fact that you are powerless over alcohol and that is key.

Thank you for sharing

Rowan
Old 08-27-2007, 05:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you Macphisto....

Be grateful and continue to thrive.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 08-28-2007, 08:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Maybe I should just consider myself lucky and keep reminding myself of where I don't want to end up.
As already said we are all different, as far as the withdrawals I went through medical detox so I was pretty doped up and only experienced minor shakes & wild fluctuations in my blood pressure. The mental obsession was beyond my beleif when I got out of detox, but throwing myself heart and rotted soul into AA with time lifted that.... I have fleeting thoughts of a drink on occasion, but the need/urge for booze is gone from me.

Keep your eyes open, sounds like you have been blessed.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you Macphisto!

It is a gift that you don't have withdrawal or cravings. Keep running with the ball!

I hope you'll keep sharing with us. Here's another take on what you were saying about AA.....

I'll bet you can help other people who are having a rough time. Sharing your experience strength and hope can really save another alcoholic. I know I was encouraged and inspired by reading your post. You may not need to go to AA, but I'll bet you'll inspire and encourage others if you decide to go back.

Thank you for sharing, and helping me stay sober today.
chip
Old 08-28-2007, 11:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

There was a time early in my drinking when I could pretty much stop at will and I did from time to time. Of course, this just served to "prove" to me that I did not have a problem, and maybe at that time I didn't have much of a problem. I worked, stayed employed, drove, etc. etc. and had not gotten into any major trouble.

Of course, I kept drinking, and eventually got the first DUI, got divorced, got into major trouble and even wound up serving time in jail and have not had my licence now for about 3 years (after dui # 4).

You may have been blessed in that you recognise that you may be in the early stages of alcoholism and if you stop now your life should be great!

I wish you the very best,

Ted
Old 08-28-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate to what you are saying macphisto. I have been sober over 3 years, and do not have a recovery program with the exception of the one I made for myself. I did go to a couple of AA meetings in early sobriety, plus my job provided a therapist I saw about six times. Once I made the decision to stop, that was it for me. I log on to SR almost daily and have since the beginning. Just started to post once in awhile. Felt like if I was not in AA or a program, I could not relate to a lot of people. I agree with Chip the main thing is to get and stay sober no matter how you do it. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

5 weeks! That is great. You will feel better at the start sometimes. This is normal for some. The trick is to not be fooled into thinking that this is easy. I experenced this many times and when I got close to certain lenths it became more difficult. Your body can take up to a year to adjust to the chenical change. I found that around 90 days and 9 months it was difficult. Anyway, I feel that you should enjoy the good feelings. Some call it a "Pink Cloud" and warn against the fall. Just take it a day at a time. I enjoy listening to people enjoying their sobriety. Most of all hearing how their families are enjoying it also. We spend much more quality time with them.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I too decided to quit and I simply quit one day. I did however go through substantial withdrawal all by myself in a back bedroom for almost three days. I was too embarrassed to go to a clinic for fear they would see what an alcoholic I really was. Withdrawal was no surprise to anyone I found out later, since I had been drinking between a fifth and some days two fifths of Canadian Club everyday. The withdrawals were sheer hell and as a good MD friend of mine told me later, "you better do something worthwhile with the rest of your life since you should be dead."

For some time I felt no real compulsion to drink, however I did attend AA meetings to fill all the cocktail time I was no longer using. In retrospect had I not had AA, when at 2 years I suddenly resented the fact that I couldn't play in the same sandbox as all my old drinking buddies, I would have bought that bottle and off to the races I would have gone.

As has already been said, we all do it a little differently, and your experience so far is a much nicer way than many have had. I think that is wonderful and hope all continues just as it is now.

I can't help but wondering, have you thought why you felt the need to drink like you were if you are not missing it now? I ask that with all due respect, it just seems very peculiar that if it is of no consequence to stop, why was there ever a need to drink to the level that you did? I would really like to hear your take. This is a serious question and one that I found myself pondering.

Best wishes and continued sobriety.

Jon