Notices

im back!

Old 08-03-2007, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

im back!

apologies to all the ppl who tried to help me last time, things have snowballed faster than I thought and everythings terrible. I am an alcoholic- thats the 1st time i've said that. I'm getting ready to quit though.. could i ask for any bits of advice?

xx
Old 08-03-2007, 06:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try an AA meeting. Welcome back.

Tom
Old 08-03-2007, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Welcome back. I found that it was much easier to get the results I wanted by getting help from other people who knew where I was and where I wanted to go. For me, this help was an outpatient rehab for 6 weeks and then A.A. and N.A. for the past four and half years.

I don't believe that a 12 step program is the only way to get sober, but I do believe that if you want to get sober you need to do something more than wish for it.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

this sounds stupid, but i hope you understand, although i need 2 quit it seems like apart from my health theres no reason 2 quit. like no advantages, like a life without drink is a bore...
Old 08-03-2007, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

welcome back, maya. so do you want to quit or not? isn't your health worth it?

blessings, k
Old 08-03-2007, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

If it’s a bore than you may need to think again..what are you not doing? Hobbies? Relationships? Find your nearest AA grp. Go, sit, listen and you’ll see you are not alone....aside from taking time off your hands you may hear something that will help you get past that feeling..of boredom.

And frankly if your health is not one great reason, then think of where you will be if your health breaks down.....I guarantee your life will be infinitely worse...thats a huge advantage is it not?
London is drenched in museums...go visit one, or 2 or 3......even if its not your cup of tea , you never know....give it shot...
Old 08-03-2007, 07:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yes i do want to quit now. i feel different to last time. i AM powerless over alcohol, something i wouldnt/couldn't admit then.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi Maya,

Welcome!!!

Karen
Old 08-03-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by maya23 View Post
yes i do want to quit now. i feel different to last time. i AM powerless over alcohol, something i wouldnt/couldn't admit then.

as am I ......get incvloved in your recovery...meetings, faith and one day at a time...I have just started 10 days ago..if I can do it, so can you....
Old 08-03-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

this sounds stupid, but i hope you understand, although i need 2 quit it seems like apart from my health theres no reason 2 quit. like no advantages, like a life without drink is a bore...
So here you go again. "A life without drink is a bore", your friends are poking fun at you, jabbing at you all the time (while drinking water / soda like in February...), you "can't imagine never touching alcohol again" (also your quote from February). Or you were "very happy and the more i drink the more i like talking to her (Maya's alcoholic mother, wozzek's remark) and everything seems less boring

Well, guess what has happened?

apologies to all the ppl who tried to help me last time, things have snowballed faster than I thought and everythings terrible. I am an alcoholic- thats the 1st time i've said that. I'm getting ready to quit though.. could i ask for any bits of advice?

No need to appologies; everyone here would tell you the same. I tried to quit for at least 20 years of my life just to get back to drinking and suffering that "stupid meaningless life" (without the drink).

Give yourself a chance, that's the only advice I can think of. Give life a chance. As long as you're in the firm grasp of the disease of course that the "life without drink is a bore", it's the booze talking through your addicted brain. You are just not letting yourself to enjoy, to find an alternative, to accept that life could be so beautiful, meaningfull and joyfull.

NOT all the time, sure, but a life of an alcoholic is a CONSTANT agony as you have experienced for the last months / years.

You're so young and clever. You have a chance - now is a matter of CHOICE to choose to embrace it. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The feeling that life is boring and/or pointless can be depression. Alcohol is a depressant and the longer you're off it the more likely that feeling will lift and the days will start to have meaning again. If it doesn't lift you could always visit your doctor and see if they can help with these negative feelings - anything to help you stop drinking and start living.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Try AA -- Cathy31 should be along shortly, and can probably point you in the right directions for some good London meetings...

Remember -- JUST FOR TODAY.

Ken
Old 08-03-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

lol Ken , you read my mind!

Maya, there are some great meetings in London, I was there last week and there are so many to choose from...google london aa meetings and you'll find hundreds to choose from...go along, listen, keep an open mind and take it from there.

I can't TELL you how worth it, it is!

Cathy31
x
Old 08-03-2007, 03:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

hi Maya

Welcome!
Glad that you are addressing your drinking. Sounds like you ARE ready to stop, and seeking support is essential to staying stopped and happy. Good luck and stick around!
Old 08-03-2007, 04:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
outtahere

Glad you made it back! You figured it out that you are alcoholic. Once you have committed you will become a functional alcoholic and stop drinking.

Be prepared for the withdrawal symptoms, which you may get, but if you don't it will be great to stop now then before you get so toxic and you get them later on. The longer you wait the worse it can be.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i have a plan of action: I am working tonight so unfortunately, il have to keep some alcohol in my system or i'll get sacked due to my shaking. However, i then have a whole week without work and so i plan to stop tonight and go to an AA meeting on monday!!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hi new to this forum and sober for last 1 year and started back drinking on saturdays i don't get pissed or anything but drink socially now hard to believe isn't it but it's the truth if i cannot drink on st then i won't and the reason i do is because i miss all the fun with my friends and this has being going on for the last 2 mths i've being to rehab crossroads antigua and well it was ok i lov enot having the shakes etc and i believe if you can drink and controll ur self ull be ok i used to drink every day at least 12 beers and on the weekends 3 pints vodka easy so i think its possible for us to drink socially at least me let me know ur thoughts
Old 08-04-2007, 10:09 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

leeside why is it that everyone has to have the withdrawal syntoms ? i did not,and drank every day there must be a point in everyone life where you have to tell ur self you cannot drink today and be fine i may be different but i do not crave the drinks day in day out
Old 08-04-2007, 10:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

aa meetings i stayed sober for 1 yr without meetings and i do not believe in them its like this if you feel the urge and call ur sponser and he / she says otherwise after u put that phone down its all up to you to take that drink not so i am not trying to discourage anyone but thats how i feel
Old 08-04-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
outtahere

I said: "you may get" and "but if you don't".