Notices

going to quit drinking again

Old 07-15-2007, 08:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

going to quit drinking again

Hi ,
I have not been on the forum in a while , I went to the doctor recently about a dull pain I have on my right side of my stomach under my ribs , I thought it was pancreatitis since it had similar symptoms It kind of comes and goes worse at night cant sleep on right side , it has been present for 3 years atleast, I have not lost weight and no bleeding. anyone else ever have this? It actually is more noticeable when i quit drinking for a few days anyhow had a full physical including liver enzymes everything checked out ok , doc said it was not pancreatitis, but advised me to stop drinking , which im going to do . anyhow if anyone has had a similar pain let me know , I have been really freaking out about this and a doctor telling me its not that makes me wonder more
Old 07-15-2007, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Don't know what the pain is, except it is your body trying to tell you something?

You may have regretted drinking from time to time but...

You will never regret not-drinking.

I wish you well,
Old 07-15-2007, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi vman, I am not sure what it could be but if you are planning on quitting you are in the right place.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad that you decided to re-join us, Vman.

Do you have to plan to assist you? Are you planning on going to AA? I couldn't stay stopped without a program of recovery, myself.

I hope you keep posting and let us know how you are doing. Others will be along to welcome you shortly.

Rowan
Old 07-15-2007, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Wise decision....
welcome back.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

vman;

Don't know what the pain might be, but I'm glad you've decided to quit. Keep posting and let us know how you are.

BHJ
Old 07-16-2007, 12:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am definitely not one to offer medical expertise, but when I quit drinking I had pain in my left side. It was dull, but it felt as though my stomache was enlarged. I would also feel VERY full after simple meals. A couple months after I quit, I went to the school doctor, told him about my drinking history and got a complete blood count test. He said that everything was fine, but the pain could be an extremely minor case of pancreatitis or a pancreatic cist. He told me that while chirrosis is fairly long term, gastritis and pancreatitis were his greatest health concerns in alcoholics. He also said that pancreatitis is very difficult to diagnose. It usually requires an ultra sound. I've met people who have had pancreas attacks and it varies. Some say they were hospitalized, while I met another guy who said it was like a really bad case of the stomache flu with excessive vomiting, but he was back to work in a couple days.

With just about two years sober, I still have a very minor pain but it definitely has improved.

That information is just what the school doctor told me, hopefully that helps.

Chris