Notices

Corrosive Affect of Alcohol on the Body

Old 07-06-2007, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Corrosive Affect of Alcohol on the Body

We read in the UK that an epidemic of Liver Disease will be upon us with the next 10-15 years and that our health service will struggle to cope. We are also told by the medical people that there is not an organ in the body that is not affected by alcohol in an adverse way.

All of this information however doesn't stop Britain in particular from following a self destructive path, with young people consuming ever larger quantities of a substance that is cheap, available 24/7 and heavily advertised.

Over the years I would say that I have consumed more than my fair share of whatever was on offer and despite only being a weekend drinker my binges have always taken me over the safe unit level up to maybe a couple of years ago. I still drink, in moderation most weeks, but slipping back into binge mode when on holiday or when friends or relatives visit but I notice that it takes many more days for me to feel 100%. I realise that as I get older both my liver and my heart are less able to cope but at the present time the positives (and believe me there are some) outweigh the negatives.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who maybe isn't even an alcoholic but has suffered physically as a result of drinking. According to a recent UK study one group most at risk are now middle aged couples who share a bottle of red most evenings but do not realise that at between 11 and 15% two glasses each per night is enough to cause liver problems.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
mpr

milk thistle should help the liver out a bit
Old 07-06-2007, 06:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...it's true more people are
killing themselves with alcohol.
There are also more people quitting
due to education and advertizing.

Reason? There are more people in our
world today than ever before.

JMO

Hi BF...
Old 07-06-2007, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Bud

I was aware, while living in the UK, of the consequence free attitude to drinking. I used to work in a well known high street wine retailer where if you buy two bottle then you get another free. As far as the company was concerned, the volume of sales had to be maintained at a certain level so we were instructed to "push" the 3 for 2 offer of every customer that walked into the store.

Frequently customers would turn down the offer stating that if they bought three bottles they, "..would drink them all in one evening". Most of our customers fitted that middle aged couple sector, "enjoying", a glass of wine after work or with a meal. It was not unusual for regular customers to buy 12, 15 or 18 bottles per week.

I can't really comment regarding my own drinking habits at the time as I'm an alcoholic and so I drank much more than most of my customers. As a member of staff I was entitled to a 20% discount on wine, if I bought three bottles my total discount was about 40%!
Old 07-07-2007, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All of this information however doesn't stop Britain in particular from following a self destructive path,
Doesn't stop an alcoholic either
Old 07-07-2007, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Open Minded

Hi, that's one thing I don't miss about the UK, the drinking culture. I moved to NZ 10 years ago and as a consequence I don't have a local to go to which has helped me so much. There's a huge subculture of drinkers here too but I am not involved in that so I count myself way better off. I think I would probably have been dead by now if I'd have stayed in the UK. I lived in MK btw, not too far from you :0)