Notices

Beating cravings

Old 06-28-2007, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Beating cravings

Hi all, I'm kinda new around here and recently detoxed so no longer physically addicted. My question is has anyone got any suggestions/things that worked for them for beating the psychological cravings. I guess so far for me is to read read read to remind myself of the bottom I have clawed my way back from but I'd love to hear what worked for other people.

Thanks,

Amelia
Old 06-28-2007, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Amelia,

I'm glad you're doing well!

That thing that worked the best for me was volunteer work. I got involved with a great organization when I stopped drinking. It made a big difference in that it helped me to get outside of myself, outside of my own head. It was gratifying to think that I had something to give. Take a look around your community and see what you can do.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Amelia,

Cravings usually don't last long but they are annoying.

I learned something in rehab from my therapist. When you are having a craving or want to use close your eyes and picture a huge red stop sign. Think to yourself using is an unhealthy thought and picture something relaxing. Hope that helps.

Liz
Old 06-28-2007, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

Originally Posted by *amelia* View Post
My question is has anyone got any suggestions/things that worked for them for beating the psychological cravings.

prayer.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

talk about them! don't leave them alone in your head..

blessings, k
Old 06-28-2007, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I will share with you what I was told in detox that worked very very well for me.

They told me that if I wanted a chance to stay sober my best bet was to go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor!

Well here it is over 9 months later, I did as I was told and could care less if I ever had another drink, the cravings have been gone for a long time, but more important I am happier now then I have been in over 30 years. I owe my life and my sobriety to AA and the 12 steps.

What did your detox suggest for after care?
Old 06-28-2007, 07:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Meetings do help. I also found that immediately after detox, going to the gym helped me. It kept me in a continuous focus to get healthier. Although, I will admit ice cream also did help.

Sweets supposedly relax your craving from the sugars that you miss from not drinking alcohol.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Chocolate!!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Cravings....Yes! I also had them in early recovery.

I timed mine...they were only a few minutes....7 at most.
I drank water...brushed my theeth...danced around...walked.

Action worked great...and I can stand most anything for such a short discomfort.

The longer I have remained sober....they lessened in both severity and duration.
This can be true for you too!
Old 06-28-2007, 08:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I want to see Carol dance!!!!
Old 06-28-2007, 09:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello Amelia,

I have a coin with the serenity prayer inscribed on it....I carry it with me all the time.......If I need a reminder of what I am (an Alkie) I just jingle it in my pocket.......If that doesn't do the trick, I'll put it in my mouth and keep it there til craving sudsides.....I think the taste of the metal brings me back to my senses. (make sure coin is big enough as to prevent choking...had to add that for all you lawyers out there ..lol..)

Work Hard and Enjoy Life.....Ned
Old 06-28-2007, 09:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

BBQBOY I have heard if you put your 24 hour chip in oyur mouth and it melts you can safely drink!!! LOL
Old 06-28-2007, 11:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Taz....it's been 18 years since I danced
away a craving.
However..
is my current AA recovery dance...
Thanks for asking!

Last edited by CarolD; 07-06-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Chocolate!!!!

First few months, I always had a milkshake.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can’t beat anything that has to do with addictions. I like the prayer answer. I am getting my d*** a** kicked by caffeine right now. Who would have thought that after having been relieved of the obsession to drink and use drugs after years of heavy, heavy drinking and cocaine use, I would be beaten by caffeine.

I don’t know about you, but I think it is time for me to surrender again. I know that early in sobriety, I ignored the cravings and focused on working the steps and being of service. Eventually the cravings ceased. Maybe it is time for me to get back to basics. Maybe it'll work for you, too.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:03 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Barto my next beast is tobacco!!!!! My one year AA birthday will be my day one for the tobacco. My sponsor just quit a few months ago with the aid of the steps and some new anti-craving med.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovering Nicely

RAH learned in rehab to have a milkshake, peice of cake or a candy bar. Usually, after that, you don't want a drink. Good luck to you.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:24 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Hope3

I think (there I go thinking again) that cravings are a combination of habit, physical and brain. After you break the physical addiction, it takes longer to break the brains addiction.

So, I committed to myself that I would not, absolutely not take a first drink no matter what my stupid brain was telling me...

I would scream...........NO, I can't have just one, or a hundred...

Then, that wasn't working, or should I say it was weakening. So I used reverse

psychology, I told myself, sure I can drink, I can drink any time I want, but, what will happen if I drink, (nothing good) How will I feel after I drink and the guilt sinks in, (not good at all)))))).

So, yeah I still have cravings after 7 months, and yeah I can drink if I want to...

But I choose not to because it won't get or do anything for me that I really want.

Hope this helped in some way, best wishes, hope3
Old 06-29-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have been extremely fortunate. I have been a witness to my cravings rather then be enslaved by them. I am almost 7 months sober and just this morning I opened the fridge at my mom's and my eyes fell upon a beer at the back of the fridge... some little beast within me started to dance and shout...open it! suck it back..ha ha! It was incredibly odd and brief and powerless..but it was there all the same. It actually made me chuckle a bit (and yep, feel a little crazy..lol). I have no idea why I have been so darn conscious this time... why I am witness rather than participant. I know that when I've had the mellower variety of craving... like... wouldn't a glass of wine be fine... I walk it thru to the end. It's never "one" romantic little glass of wine that will ease my nerves... it's a trough...and it's ugly.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:48 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Barto my next beast is tobacco!!!!! My one year AA birthday will be my day one for the tobacco. My sponsor just quit a few months ago with the aid of the steps and some new anti-craving med.
I wish you success! I also worked the steps on nicotine and that obsession was also eventually removed.