Notices

Started campral today

Old 06-01-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Started campral today

I started my campral today. I wanted to wait till my third day sober to start. I can not feel any of the sides listed about the med. I don't guess I'll know how well it works till I'm completely detoxed (however long that takes). I've been feeling good the last two days. I have not slept worth a flip which I expected. I know over time things will get better. Just wanted to give an update.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Best wishes to you, tkdan. I have a sponsee who takes Campral and it seems to work wonders for him as far as removing the cravings. My only thought is that nothing can take the place of a good program of recovery. I hope that you have other solutions to fall back on, for me it takes a pretty big toolbox to live a healthy and happy life in sobriety, but it's definitely worth the effort.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i'll be eager to hear how it works for you. it has been suggested to my daughter. any feedback appreciated!

congrats on your sober days. i hope you can get some rest.

blessings, k
Old 06-01-2007, 08:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the three days dan, are you doing anything else besides taking Campral?

The reason I ask is:
Campral is a medication that helps people stay alcohol-free in combination with counseling or support groups once they have stopped drinking.
This was at the end of the same article:
Campral should be used as part of a comprehensive management program that includes psychosocial support such as counseling and support groups.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Tkdan,

I' m glad you decided on the Campral and I hope, a support group in combination. As I stated before, I took Campral for a year with no sides, I believe ( but I can't prove) that this med along w/AA, has kept me sober and happy....I no longer take it(with the approval of my dr) but I think it served it"s purpose for that tough first year......I got into a routine by dosing at breakfast, lunch,dinner....meals I normally would skip when I was drinking, so it also reminded me to eat...2 birds 1 stone.... Congrats on 3 days, lets make it 4 o.k.

Work Hard and Enjoy Life.....NED
Old 06-06-2007, 07:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

also using

Campral was prescribed for me also, 3 times a day, two pills. I don't know if it really did anything for me or if it was a plazebo affect. I have been sober for a little over seven months. My AA meetings, working with a sponsor, and working the steps, and doing service for AA is the best drug for me at this time.
Good luck and share your recovery with others....it will make you grow.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was also on Campral, and it really helped me. I also think it helped me sleep better at night.....added bonus!
Old 06-08-2007, 05:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have noticed it does help with cravings. I would be doing some activity that I usually would be drinking with like BBQing or something, and I would think this is when I would normally be drinking and I would realize there is no desire whatsoever. It is amazing how this stuff works. I realize everybody reacts different to meds but for me this is one of the best things to come along for a medical treatment of alcoholism.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

glad it is helping you, tkdan. blessings, k
Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are taking the right steps TK, just keep it up and you will achieve your goals. Good job.

Levi