Notices

Mental Function

Old 05-31-2007, 06:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Talking Mental Function

Hey all. I pop my head in from time to time. I believe last I wrote I was heading to the Dr. to get checked out due to symptoms I was having. He had asked me the normal questions, how much and how often and told him I have been able to cut it down to 6 beers twice a week (well 12 beers total for the two days). He said that while he's pleased it has been cut down drastically, he still wasn't happy about the consumption. After running blood tests and checking me out, everything came back normal and what I thought were angiomas, were nothing but a pimple here and a pimple there. Talk about the mind playing tricks!

With that said, I was curious about the brain itself. I have read what alcohol does to it and there is potential for recovery (albeit not 100%). While I can think a little more clearly, I still find myself in a heavy fog. My coordination is clumsy at best and working on certain things I really have to challenge myself to concentrate, otherwise, I'll just stare blankly at what I'm doing as my mind wonders. It gets better as the day goes on, but early mornings it's horrible...it's like I'm physically there, but mentally I don't feel fully connected.

I was wondering if anyone knew if things eventually get better and you're not walking around like a zombie, or if this is something I can pretty much expect to deal with? Thanks for taking time to read and hope you all have a great day!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I've been sober ten years and my brain still needs warming up before I can get going in the morning .

However,If you are still drinking (regardless how little) it could be contribituing to your state of confusion.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Some people are just not morning people...
Perhaps you are not.

If possible...plan to do more complicated tasks
later in the day.

When I was 6 weeks sober......I began
to see improvement n my thinking abilities.
I could once again do the Washington Post Crosswords.

As far as I have read....alcoholic brain recovery
means NO alcohol can be used.

http://www.alcohol-drug.com/neuropsych.htm

Good to see you again
Old 05-31-2007, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
let it grow!

hey timi, good to see you back. i have a 23 year old daughter in recovery from addiction to alcohol and cocaine. she tried many times to control/limit her consumption and was never successful.

after a few months of total abstinance, her memory improved.

good luck, and keep posting! k
Old 05-31-2007, 07:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Timi, there is no way I can relate my experience to yours since you are still drinking, but when I quit the first 3-4 days were a blur for me due to withdrawals and meds they were giving me in detox.

Keep in mind I quit entirely so what you will experience with a 12 pack a week still probably will not even come close to mine, if you continue to drink you will be right back where you were when you cut back if you are an alcoholic like me, moderation for me was an exercise in futility!

I have been sober over 8 months now, the fog lifted fairly well after about 2 weeks, my mind improves every day, comparing what I was like 6 months ago to today is like comparing night to day.

Mind you this is just my opinion, but I doubt if your fog will ever start to lift as long as you continue to drink, like I said if you are an alcoholic like I am then you will be drinking just as hard as you did before you "moderated" and probably more.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My apologies everyone! I should have stated before, I am NOT drinking anymore! Been 100% sober for a month!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your sober time Timi!

~~~~~~~~~

A smile is a curve that sets everything straight
Old 05-31-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
let it grow!

oh, i thought you were moderating! one month sober is great! congrats!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

a huge congrats on the sober time!!!!

gg
Old 05-31-2007, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well then take what I said and run with it, it does get better, every time I think "Okay, it can not get better then this." it does!

I spoke to a couple of old timers and they said I may see improvements for over a year.

I am still shocked as to how messed up alcohol had me physically, mentally, emotionaly & spiritually!
Old 05-31-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Excellent!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:54 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Well then take what I said and run with it, it does get better, every time I think "Okay, it can not get better then this." it does!

I spoke to a couple of old timers and they said I may see improvements for over a year.

I am still shocked as to how messed up alcohol had me physically, mentally, emotionaly & spiritually!
Well, everyone is more concerned about their liver (which they should be), but they don't really know about the other effects it has and the toll that it takes, not just on the liver, but on other organs as well.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

As long as one does not reach cirrosis of the liver the liver can fully recover for the drinking.

You are so right Timi, it affects every organ in ones body with time, which is one of the reasons why people who actually die from alcoholism have it attributed to some other organ failing due to alcohol. If an alcoholic dies from a heart attack the death certificate indicates heart attack as the cause, it does not indicate the reason for the heart attack was due to alcoholism.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
catch-22

After I stopped drinking, my brain was 'foggy' for a few days, with constant headaches. I could think better when I was drunk! Today is day 10 and I've noticed a marked improvement. I feel a different person and I'm scared - because I relised how much damage I was doing to my brain - but happy at the same time, in the knowing that things can only get better from now on. Well done on your sobriety.

Catch
Old 05-31-2007, 09:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If you have stopped drinking then I am certain in due time your mental functions will improve.