Notices

in the dumps, grrr!

Old 05-20-2007, 09:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question in the dumps, grrr!

Hi everyone!

Today marks 53 days sober. I'm posting because the last few days have inexplicably sucked, and I can't really figure out why, and I just need to vent for a bit!

The last few weeks have really been amazing. My sleep schedule "magically" fixed itself as I got the alcohol out of my system, and I'm waking up unaided at 6 a.m. every morning feeling great. I got back into running and began training for a 5k. My diet is so much better, I look and feel better now, and my head is so much clearer. I know I'm gushing, but I'm just so happy with everything that has come with sobreity.

A few nights ago, I decided to go out to see a music show with a couple friends that I haven't seen in awhile. I haven't told them that I quit drinking, because I still don't feel comfortable talking to them about it. Anyway, I was there, surrounded by tons of people drinking cheap beer and smoking and dancing on a warm summer night, and everything seemed so carefree, and a deep sense of loss started to wash over me. It scared me! Of course, I know that I can't just relax and enjoy the show with a couple beers and smokes... I have to get trashed, start doing shots halfway through the show, get a ride home with someone because I can't drive, and then not even remember what I paid to go see. Still, it really bothered me and I've been having a hard time shaking it.

The last few days, I haven't had much appetite, and for some reason I keep sleeping in later than usual and feeling very groggy in the morning. I don't want to do anything other than sit here.

I did force myself to go on a long run this morning, and I just got back, and I feel a little better. After writing this, I feel better, too. Thanks SR has been so awesome, thank you to everyone who is here!!

confound

Last edited by confound; 05-20-2007 at 09:44 AM. Reason: my spelling stinks
Old 05-20-2007, 09:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Hi Confound,

God willing I'll be 6 months sober on Tuesday.

I've had ups and downs too. I have been told by professionals that most of us have to greive for our now lost "best friend", alcohol.

Grief is a process and the way you described your deep sense of loss seems to fit.

But hey, 53 days is a major accomplishment! Whatever you are doing must be working!

Best to you,

Ted
Old 05-20-2007, 10:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Confound-
First of all, congrats on 53 days. That is an amazing accomplisment.

It's normal to have mixed feelings about quitting drinking. A sense of loss is something I can relate to. You dealt with it well by reminding yourself of what drinking does to you.

For me, when I quit drinking, it was like losing a close friend. I don't mean to be melodramatic about it, but it felt almost like a part of me had died. As Ted mentioned, there is certainly a process of grieving for many of us.

The most important thing for us to remember that we are on a new path to freedom in sobriety. The road may be rough at times, but happiness is possible.
God Bless You,
chip

Ted,
Congrats on 6 months!!!
chip
Old 05-20-2007, 10:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done on the 53 days. Don't worry, in time you will never miss not drinking again.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can't relate at all. Alcohol was by no means my friend. When I was finally able to stop and stay stopped, all I could say to alcohol was "good riddance, and don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out !"

As far as the grogginess, loss of appetite etc, that's prolly normal. Read up on PAWS, it takes a long time for our bodies to heal. I've got 7 months, and still experience insomnia, fatigue, mild depression etc. Although no where near what it was in severity or frequency.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks You are right, chip and Groucho - it feels like I'm missing a friend, although the friend was a real ***hole. I just have to remember that part.

Congrats on the 6 months, Groucho!!!

Glass, I just started to read up on PAWS and a lot of this is clicking. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2007, 12:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on your sobriety!

AA members also go to ???? events
and we have a blast!

You are making choices for a healthier future.
Super!
Old 05-21-2007, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Confound congrats on the sober time, the other shares are good stuff.

I guess I may have been a bit sicker then some! LOL Alcohol was my lover for many years... probably the first 20 years, the next 10 alcohol became that teasing lover, every time I would catch her for that brief moment I would wind up miserable because I had to much of her, the last 10 years she became that abusive lover that I could not escape! LOL

Man when I quit there was a HUGE hole in me, I have filled that hole in me with my family and life with the aid of AA and the steps, it has been a little over 8 months now and looking back on my old lover I am so glad she is gone, life and living life on life's terms sober is the bomb!
Old 05-21-2007, 04:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate to Taz's post...alcohol was also my lover. I bought into it's lies and false promises and it in the end....just as with my human intimate relationships...I realized I had been deceived and emptied out. My life was much more potentially rich and beautiful than I had been settling for. I gravitate towards poison...not sure why. Congrats on your sober time. Sobriety is not for sissies....the rewards are a result of work and delayed gratification at times....just like life.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

53 hurrays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey, time takes time
excerise, diet, relationships, memory,
little by little

anyway,
a walk to an AA meeting might help

best
fraankie