Notices

Happy hour

Old 05-09-2003, 11:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Happy hour

I posted this on another board, and thought I would share it here:

Hi all,
It is 11am Friday, I a sitting at work and having one of those wonderful flashbacks. 11 o’clock Friday used to be when my thoughts would turn to “the place” (actual name of a bar on the way home from work). Friday happy hour. The reward for getting through the work week. Two for ones, which meant I would have 4 vodka martinis and 12 chicken wings from 4:30 to 5:30 and drive the rest of the way home with that weekend has started buzz. Same 10 – 15 guys, same cute little bartender Friday after Friday. Right now it is March madness, the college basketball tournament, here in the USA. I would be extra excited to see how I was doing in the pool for it and probably stay a little longer. I would get home, with very little patience for anyone. “I’m too tired to get that done tonight” to my wife (I’m am speaking of a task or errand, no lewd comments Julian) “Daddy’s to tired” to my son who was two at the time. Plop on the couch and do as little as possible. Pop some Tums to combat the vodka and wings. I doesn’t get any better than this.

My Fridays now, I just keep on driving past “the place.” I see all the same cars parked in the lot. I get home to chaos. We have two kids now. The older guy is 4. He will have a sonnet to describe what happened to him today that rivals Marc Antony’s. He has gotten very demanding of me now that I say yes to what he wants me to do or help him with. The little guy is 6 months. This child hates to be put down from the hours of 4:30 til bedtime. He has a screech that will make you come get him and a smile that reminds you he won and you better not put him down. You don’t want to. The dog, I swear knows when it is Friday. She gets an extra long walk that day. She slobbers, wiggles, and is as excited to see me as everyone else. My wife now asks me how what I was supposed to take care of went, instead of yelling at me that I forgot and she has to do everything. She works too, and likes me a lot more now that I help out and realize she is as tired as I am. I never used to notice the chaos when I was in that fog. I love the chaos. I now have the ability to keep everyone there smiling, happy, and am amble to meet their needs (my god they are a needy bunch). We eat together now and I even cook sometimes. I doesn’t get any better than this.

I love the way I have turned Friday happy hour into Friday happy hours. There is a special at my house Friday evenings, two for one smiles.

Another long winded peek into the mind of the muncdaddy

m-diddy
Old 05-09-2003, 12:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

Nice. real. Real nice. Thanks a lot for sharing that.
Old 05-09-2003, 03:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi munchdaddy.

Life is so much nicer today without alcohol.Six years ago I could not even imagine what my life would be like without a drink.

Today I can find joy in the simplest of things where before I used to scoff.

Thank you for sharing.

Peter.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

munchdaddy

Thanks for that post,

I sure am gratefull that we can live the way we do today.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

M-Diddy,

I think that what you shared is simply beautiful! Good luck.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Hi munchdaddy, great post. It sounds so much like me.

Every Friday around 4:30 I'd get a buzzing in my stomach - It's party time! I'd call up my drinking buddy and we'd make plans to "not remember" another weekend. I lost about 8 years worth of Saturdays and Sundays.

Thanks for sharing and good luck.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

happy hour

To PhilN.. RE: Happy hour and weekends. You were certainly patient. My drinking pre-buzz started shortly after supper on the Thursday before the weekends. There was that extra cheery "Good Morning", on the Friday mornings at the office. You could feel the energy levels pick up throughout the day, peaking by about 4 in the afternoon. Even lunchtime turned into a festive occaision, replete with lots of chuckles, beely laughs and hardy-har-hars. The body language accelerated too, as did the infantile jokes which seemed absolutely hilarious at the time. By quitting time, the herd of drinkers were on frenzy to their respective drinking holes. Many after parties has been planned out by this time as well. The "Lost Weekend" was well underway.
Come Monday morning, all that energy, joy and camaraderie seemed nonexistant. Half of us looked and felt like hell, and there was very few simple "Good Mornings". In time, some of us cut back, quit or continued, and some even accelerated their consumption. AH, such is the human condition. Regards to all!
Old 05-16-2003, 07:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Paused

happy hour

To PhilN.. RE: Happy hour and weekends. You were certainly patient. My drinking pre-buzz started shortly after supper on the Thursday before the weekends. There was that extra cheery "Good Morning", on the Friday mornings at the office. You could feel the energy levels pick up throughout the day, peaking by about 4 in the afternoon. Even lunchtime turned into a festive occaision, replete with lots of chuckles, beely laughs and hardy-har-hars. The body language accelerated too, as did the infantile jokes which seemed absolutely hilarious at the time. By quitting time, the herd of drinkers were on frenzy to their respective drinking holes. Many after parties has been planned out by this time as well. The "Lost Weekend" was well underway.
Come Monday morning, all that energy, joy and camaraderie seemed nonexistant. Half of us looked and felt like hell, and there was very few simple "Good Mornings". In time, some of us cut back, quit or continued, and some even accelerated their consumption. AH, such is the human condition. Regards to all!