Notices

i only now realize what alcohol did to me

Old 05-07-2007, 07:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Hi BrainBack,

I highly reccommend the book "Under the Influence". I am about 3/4ths of the way through and it is doing an incredible job of explaining the way that my physiology actually needed etoh to maintain some sort of balance. I never understood why I needed to drink. Oh sure, eventually I fully surrendered to the fact that I am an alcoholic therefore I drink but the hard science in this book is extremely enlightining.

Anyhow,

Welcome to SR.

Ted
Old 05-07-2007, 11:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gotmybrainback View Post
short history: my wife and i both drank heavily for 4 years. between the two of us, we went through a handle of vodka every 3 days or so. well, about 2 months ago, we found out that she's pregnant. we both quit drinking instantly. we had tried to quit, unsuccessfully, many times before, but the baby just did it instantly for us. i simply refuse to be a drunk with a baby, as does she.

i only now see what it did to my life. it never affected my job or profession, thankfully, however it killed ALL desire i had to do anything outside of work other than drink. i used to be a voracious reader -- alcohol killed that. i used to enjoy various sports -- alcohol killed that. i used to spend hours outside of work reading up on the latest developments in my profession (let's just say that I have a doctorate degree) -- alcohol killed that.

now that i've been sober for 2 months, that has all changed. instead of waking up with hangovers every morning, i wake up and go for a brisk walk with my dog. i spend hours every day reading the latest journals and articles for my job. i'm back to reading many books on a large variety of topics. i'm playing racquetball and tennis again.

i always knew i had a problem, but i never realized exactly what it was doing to my life until i quit.

this child is a blessing in so many ways.
how have you achieved this? do you go to AA or was it another method?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What a terrific way and reason to get sober! Best of everything to you, your wife and unborn child. Can you tell me what a "handle" of vodka is that you referred to?
Old 05-10-2007, 09:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

welcome!