Notices

Hum.......

Old 05-03-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Ten Chips Down View Post
Ooh, hey you're right Peter. Good catch.

Well this presents quite the problem. What do you suppose is a solution for special populations with addiction?
The 'Net's pretty cool...

I have cerebral palsy so I find it hard to physically get anywhere like meetings, and I have speech difficulties, so I certainly couldn't speak there...

but there *are* online AA meetings, the Big Book is on line, and there are lots of other sites and groups for recovery groups besides AA...and of course themed forums like this one...

I won't say I've tried 'em all, but I know they're there... !
D
Old 05-03-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Lanie,

You got it. Cross-tolerant means the alcohol can cover (immeliorate) severe withdrawal from alprazolam (Xanax) and that alprazolam can cover severist withdrawals from alcohol.

Phenobarbital, the long-acting barbituate, as well as Ativan, as well Librum... those are all used in detoxing from alcohol and are each cross-tolerant.

It ain't rocket-science what you and I are warning against. These types of drugs bind very tightly with some the *same* receptors in the brain that alcohol does. At 2mg per day of Xanax, he would need a careful supervised wean off it (if they decide to discontinue at all) but regardless, prescribing docs of both Effexor & Xanax should be in the know about the alcohol addiction.

Ten
Old 05-03-2007, 10:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Paulos - here are some links you might find helpful:

http://www.onlinealano.org/html/meetings.html

http://www.oso-aa.org/

http://www.aaonline.net/

Old 05-03-2007, 11:20 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yeah, Paulos. You're different....you're nothing like us !

I was diagnosed with clinical depression too. Funny thing is, I kept drinking, and that dammed depression just wouldn't go away ?!?

I went to a Doctor. He gave me valium for anxiety, and some sort of AD. Both went well with Vodka !

6 months sober now, and though I still have tinges of depression, it's nothing I feel I need meds for. Not to say there are those that don't need meds, BTW. Just in my case, and prolly a lot of others too, the alcoholism was contributing to the depression.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:34 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
IO Storm

The other thing I notice is you are mixing in a lot of familial issues/autism issues with his addiction to alochol. Just be aware that all that notwithstanding, your son primarily needs to stop drinking and stay stopped (as well as address his Xanax use).
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Ten Chips

I OD'D badly from taking Xanax 1/2 bottle in a black out drunk

and had to be revived....

It is serious stuff!

Love,
:

Sherry
Old 05-04-2007, 03:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You know I hear some folks say that AA may not be possible for Paul, but we have a young man who goes to 4 meetings a week who has some issues, along with being an alcoholic and drug addict.

He has been clean and sober for I think 6 years, due to slight brain damage he is on disability, he does work several days a week (2 hour shift) as a dish washer. He is the set up guy at the 4 AA meetings he attends every week, he takes extreme pride in his coffee and although he does not share very often, when Brad shares they are short and powerful shares.

Brad is a great guy, he loves the comradreship he finds at the meetings and we love him as well. Brad has said that AA has been the only thing that has kept him straight this long.

Trust me Paul and Daisy, there is no way that Brad could even approach the level of intelligence that Paul displays here, if Paul is able to handle 1 hour gatherings he could thrive in AA meetings. Not a huge difference between an AA meeting and group therapy except a whole lot more laughter and long term friendships.

Just my opinion, but if Paul is not getting his booze and drugs at home then he has the social skills to buy booze on his own and buy drugs from drug dealers, which would lead me to beleive he is more then socially capable of dealing with a group of friendly people who would love to help him to quit drinking and drugging.

I have dealt with drug dealers before, one has some pretty good social skills if they can do that and not wind up dead or at least beat up.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:53 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Hey Paulos -

Have you tried online meetings?

Would that be a way to scope out the meeting thing; maybe it would serve to preview anxiety levels... grab an online sponsor and let that be a start.

Your courage is humbling, friend. Thank you for this thread.
barb
Old 05-04-2007, 04:12 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good Morning Paulos, Glad to see that I am not the only gamer in SR , WELCOME. There are many places that can assist you with the challanges that you are having , this forum is a great place to start , there is a vast amount of knowledge and RELATED experience here and whether or not you use this or any other means of trying to get help , then you are on your way . All I can say is the combination of meetings , step work , Prayer , and my support system at SR and at home , HAS LITERALLY CHANGED MY LIFE. and I mean it I have issues , sure do , but I have enough support to use and can access ways to prevent going back to who I used to be . Stay Strong Paulos , this isn't game over and you are about to go to the next level . (forgive the video game refferences , thought it may be appropriate ). heavy into recovery and RPG's ...... JEI
Old 05-04-2007, 05:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Paul

I read this thread with interest. Thanks for coming and sharing your story with me and with the others here. You know that when we are honest with each other like this we help each other to heal.

All most of us are looking for is a little peace. From what your mum has written it sounds like peace has been in short supply in your life. What the bottle offers us masquerades as peace, but the more we do it the more we realise that it's actually giving us "I don't care". My experience Paul? The more "I don't care" I have, the further away from peace I get. So the first thing I had to do was to stop drinking. You understand I hope that when I stopped drinking, I didn't know how far away from peace I was! I had to take that on trust. Ultimately, we all do - but if you hang around with lots of recovering people, in whatever way is most doable for you, eventually you'll build that level of trust, that a life without drink will give a better chance of peace than a life with drink.

I don't like to focus on what makes us different. I like to focus on what makes us the same. I lacked peace. It seems like you do too. I'm here to tell you that you can find it. It is within your power. But for those of us who look for peace, alcohol is nothing more than a wicked deceit. It will keep us from peace as long as it can. Trust me. Trust us all. Alcohol only ever takes us aways from peace.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:48 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Mannn... I just wanna be clean and sober for months... I knew last night when I had the urge I could have controlled it, but I felt like I didn't want to be imprisoned as usual... crap, crap. Here I go again... thanks for all the support all =)
Old 05-05-2007, 11:25 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Try just being clean and sober for today. Honestly Paul, after many years of trying, that was the only way I could do it!
Old 05-05-2007, 12:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

There is a story in the Big Book of AA that describes someone who had an experience similar to me. The person came to the point with her drinking where she realized when she enjoyed it, she couldn't control it. And when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it.

I do not know your specific situation but if you are home bound I am willing to bet that there are AAs who would bring a meeting to you. If you aren't comfortable in groups, only a couple or even just one person could drop by. If you and/or your mom call your local number (in the phone book!) they would do so. In fact, I am also willing to bet it would help them as much or more than it would help you!

All the best,
C2B
Old 05-05-2007, 01:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

AA is one of the safest social settings I've ever been in in my life, because of the controlled conduct and the clearly stated rules, I know what to expect, which helps me because I have anxiety in social settings as well (i.e. any setting in which there is more than just me). Autism is a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, which is neurological in nature. People who have it can get over-stimulated very easily, which feels like anxiety but has more to do with an over-stimulated central nervous system. One of the characteristics I have is over-sensitivity to light and sound. Some HFA's or people with Asperger syndrome can't stand the feeling of clothing of certain texture touching their skin...our speakers are turned way, way up on the sensory stuff. I remember over Christmas my father was sweeping the kitchen floor and the 'siss-siss-siss' sound the broom was making just about drove me over the edge, literally. HFA's are generally of above average intelligence, but have a marked delay in language and social skills. I did not have the language delay, but have struggled my entire life with social skills/office policitics/games people play, so to speak. It is hard to impart this to a neuro-typical person, because many people feel we should be able to 'learn' how to handle this stuff, since we are obviouisly 'smart enough'. The truth is we are wired differently. I've pretty much had to accept that I will never be able to 'read' people or judge their character, because of the aspie characteristic of being easily fooled and taking what people say at face value.

I guess the reason for sharing my experience here is to underscore that everything Paul and his mother are saying about high-functioning autistics is real and textbook. Paul I hope you will pursue online meetings. I think if you can get the anxiety to a manageable level you might attend AA meetings, I found them very safe and comforting even though I was always a little anxious. I have known quite a few people with panic disorders who attend AA and NA and when they feel a panic attack coming on they get up and leave. But they still come back. I have incredible admiration for people who have panic disorder and still attend recovery meetings; I have never had a panic attack but people have told me that in the midst of one you literally feel like you are going to die of fear.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:49 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Paulos your mother says she keeps the booze locked up, where do you get it?