Notices

Arthur

Old 04-14-2007, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arthur

Not the Movie

My new friend, Arthritis. It runs in my family, and I've read alcoholism can accelerate it.

I'm 42, and starting to feel it it my hips and hands. Today it's bad in my hands. My thumb knuckles get really swollen (My Grandad had his thumb joints fused) Anyone else out here have any experience ?

I don't want to take meds. Even if I could control something like Vicodin, I've heard MANY fellow AAs say they lose their Conscience Contact when prescribed meds. I would take Ibuprofin, but boozing has taken it's toll on my stomach , and I'm still concerned about liver health.

I'm not asking for medical advice. Just ES&H.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

GP,

I have chronic pain from back surgury. I have learned the hard way that vicodin and such are not for me. I have a great DR. who knows my history and works with me.

Believe it or not good old fashioned asprin works pretty well most of the time. I get the buffered (enteric? type). DR. explaned they are coated so they pass thru stomach and dissolve in small intestine. No tummy trouble!

Also it seems to be OK to combine asprin or motrin with tylenol. The detox I went to gave me motrin+tylenol. Just a note, Never mix Motrin and asprin.

Also there is Rx version of alive, dosn't do it for me. I have tried celebrex but it really upsets my stomach. It might work for you though.

Anywho, I am sure as heck not a doctor, but you might want to see yours and discuss options.

Ted
Old 04-14-2007, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Yes I've heard asprin is pretty good. My mother has had arthritis for years and took lots of medication. Fish Oil or tablets (you can buy from the chemist, in Australia anyway)
She swears by this stuff and it has really relieved her pain.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

GP you really need to get with your doctor. There are several types of arthritis and different things work for the different types.

I have Osteoarthitis and thus the medicines like Remicaid for Rheumitoid Arthritis will not work.

Go see your Doctor.

JMHO

Love and hugs,