Notices

Ugh. No AA meeting for me...

Old 03-15-2007, 05:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Ugh. No AA meeting for me...

This is the second time this week I tried to make a meeting at a church and failed to find it. Now, like last time, its too late to make another meeting.

I HATE walking into a church not knowing anybody or where I'm going. Its embarrassing to stumble into a bible study or choir meeting and ask "is this the AA meeting"? No one knows what I'm talking about and they look at me like I'm from another planet.

I'm already self conscious enough about my appearance. When I look in the mirror I see a sunken eyed corpse looking back at me. The last few years have taken their toll. Doesn't help my self esteem much to be wandering aimlessly around in a church with a pack of beaming Ned Flanders staring at me.

Both of these meetings are supposedly BB/Step study groups according to my directory. I really want to find a BB study group. Beginning to think everyone is hiding from me.

Dammit, I'm really bummed. No job, no money, no gas and my tires are shot. Strike out for a desperately needed meeting and I get shot down again. Hello God?!? I'm not asking for a huge miracle here. Just would be nice if things OCCASIONALLY went my way. Sheesh.

Joe, day 19
Old 03-15-2007, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Z,
Well I'll tell you what you do have...
1. You've got a desire to stop drinking.
2. You've got a great sense of humor.
3. You know how to use the smilies (I didn't know until just the other day)
4. You have determination to go to AA.
5. You have 19 days sober.
6. You...oh do I have to continue?

Don't worry about it man, I was in the Bible Study group - which looking back, may have helped - but wasn't what I was ready for. When I continued to ask, "Do you know where the AA meeting is?" This one guys says, after clearing his voice, "uh oh uh, you mean, uh 12-steps?" I thought, yeah dude...need me some help here - you're not the one that should be completely humilated by the question. But it all worked out and it will for you too.

Keep going back!

Blessings,
PR
Old 03-15-2007, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Is there an 800# for your district? We update our list every 6 months, and meetings that change locations or close might still be on the list, so we notify our answering service, and they'll report the changes to anyone calling the hotline.

A friend of mine likes to say, "It's in the trying." Keep trying, Joe. So long as you're trying to stay sober, you're not trying to get drunk.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 03-15-2007, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by zJoe99 View Post
I HATE walking into a church not knowing anybody or where I'm going. Its embarrassing to stumble into a bible study or choir meeting and ask "is this the AA meeting"? No one knows what I'm talking about and they look at me like I'm from another planet.
Don't go in the church unless you see a few disheveled people right outside the door smoking cigarettes. This is the easiest way to tell the difference between an AA meeting and a regular church function.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, PurpleReign. I'm really proud of my smilie skill. I'm sure I'll end up over doing it and annoying the crap out of everybody.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

A guy I know checks the bumpers in the parking lots of churches when he's out of town. If he sees a lot of "Easy Does It" and "ODAAT" stickers, he knows he's in the right place.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 03-15-2007, 06:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
Is there an 800# for your district? We update our list every 6 months, and meetings that change locations or close might still be on the list, so we notify our answering service, and they'll report the changes to anyone calling the hotline.

A friend of mine likes to say, "It's in the trying." Keep trying, Joe. So long as you're trying to stay sober, you're not trying to get drunk.

Peace & Love,
Sugah

Thanks Sugah. I think I'll wait and try to go with someone I meet at a speaker meeting. I ain't goin' to a church again unless another drunk has my back.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mike_mass View Post
Don't go in the church unless you see a few disheveled people right outside the door smoking cigarettes. This is the easiest way to tell the difference between an AA meeting and a regular church function.
LOL, actually I did look for that. No smokers. Also no bicycles, mopeds or rattletrap cars in the parking lot.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Two or more Alcoholics discussing recovery make a meeting, it doesn't have to be big to count. Some of the best "meetings" I have been to have been very casual. Besides, on-line meetings count too!!!!

BTW, My name is Cathy and I am an Alcoholic, do you have something you would like to share?
Old 03-15-2007, 06:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Thanks, PurpleReign. I'm really proud of my smilie skill. I'm sure I'll end up over doing it and annoying the crap out of everybody.
Oh and man do you have mad, I mean like, crazy-mad smilie skills. Let's face it to borrow a line from a movie, "Chicks like guys with skills."

Blessings,
PR
Old 03-15-2007, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

sounds like you are really willing to go to any lengths! Good on you!

a suggestions: call the local AA number and ask someone to meet you somewhere, and then follow them. Or at least, wait for you in the parking lot. I guarantee you someone will be very pleased to be of service. Theres nothing so special as being able to help a newcomer out!

good luck!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FROG....Fully Relying On God

Smile

Thanks Sugah. I think I'll wait and try to go with someone I meet at a speaker meeting. I ain't goin' to a church again unless another drunk has my back.
Hey man, it sure beats goin into a bar, right?
Hang in there bud....you'll find the right place cuz you're "lookin"
Right On!
AA Hugs,
Jig
Old 03-15-2007, 09:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Victory is mine!

Don't sweat worrying about walking into another groups meeting. The first time that I went I stumbled (not literally) into the Boy Scouts planning a camp out. Man did I look out of place!! But, then I found the right room and some of the best people that I have ever met.

Scott