Notices

It is a good morning

Old 01-23-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It is a good morning

Thanks to all for the advise and support. I made it through yesterday without a drink. I was fortunate to be so tired after my evening activities that I was able to go to sleep at a normal time. I feel great this morning. Yesterday is done and I'm focusing on this new day. I realize that although I feel so good right now that can all change without warning. I'm trying to prepare myself for the tough times ahead.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done.

It's very important to keep busy, idle hands and all.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
One day at a time, tkdan.

For me, sobriety is a simple program. There's only one guarantee that I'll stay sober today, and that's to make it to bed tonight without taking a drink. Tomorrow I'll do it all over again. Abstinance and a recovery program work very well for me.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey TK, glad you made it through.

I can relate about being prepared for the tuff days. I have been up since 3:30 a.m. b/c of a stressful work day to come. Instead of lying there restlessly, I got up and came in to work early and simply faced it head on.

I know I will be tired tonight, but I wasn't able to sleep longer anyway so c'est la vie.

Peace, Levi
Old 01-23-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you. In my off again/on again process over last two months I'm amazed at how much better I feel when sober ( on again) vs. a day following drinkiing. I'm talking about even with no hangover ( I seldom had one after a bottle of wine over a 3 hour period) it's amzaing the difference.....more bounce in your step, general overall clarity etc. Also, when I'm off again ( drinking) After the first couple of glasses of wine I ask myself why this "feels" better.....I don't really believe it does. For me, I believe it became more of a habit....if true, I should be able to kick it. We'll see. But, anyway, hangf in there. Your will continue to feel better, and feel better about yourself.

As an aside, I play on line poker, and seem to do better when not drinking.....gee, what a surprise!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Staying busy helps a lot, being prepared for the craving/obsessing that will come is good also, the more tools you have the better. I find comfort in knowing that all I have to do is pick up the phone and I can have the immediate support of a fellow recovering/recovered alcoholic. I also stay prepared for the time that one day will come when the only thing between me and a drink is my HP, I keep building on my relationship with my HP to where when the caca has hit the fan I will know him as well as he knows me.

Congrats on that first day, hang in theresobriety can rock if you work at it.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Two things that I have learned:

"Just because the monkey is off your back, doesn't mean that the circus has left town" George Carlin

and......

My addiction has more patience than I have brains...........(me)

Oh yea, and most importantly:

"If I don't pick up a drink today, it's IMPOSSIBLE for me to get drunk!!"
Old 01-23-2007, 08:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done, we're all just sober today (obviously Leviathon is sober longest, getting up at 3.30 and all....)
Old 01-23-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This week will be a busy week. This weekend I'm not sure about though. I feel like I'm determined to quit so I'm not too concerned only cautious. I don't want to get too comfortable. I wiil spend time at the gym and working around the house. I'm going to avoid any social situations that come up. For right now if I don't see it I'm less likely to think about or desire it.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

tkdan,

It looks like you, floridagal and I are on the same schedule of sobriety! Let's keep posting for support!

Getoverit,
I love those sayings you posted...great mantras for me to remember. Through so many negative "life happenings", I would rely on my sense of humor to pull through. Unfortunately, alcohol was also relied upon! So, now, it's just me and my humor!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Comeclean you and floridagal are starting on what can be a beautiful new way of life, sobriety. I Keep in mind there is a whole lot more to getting better then simply not drinking, I need to work on changing the drinking me into the sober me.

There is nothing worse to be then a sober drunk, I have worked on getting my whole act together with the aid and guidance of alcoholics with many years of sobriety under their belts, not only do they know how to stop drinking and stay stopped, they know how to be happy and better people then they were before they ever started drinking.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, Tazman. I'm taking your wise words to heart. I almost understand what you're telling me.