Notices

New here

Old 01-18-2007, 04:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

Well here I go again. Was sober for 6 months last year. Started drinking again around November. I'm a beer drinker.About 4-7 each day and around 14 on the weekend. Been drinking for the better part of 10 years. I'm 35 now. Tried quitting cold a number of times(one time for a whole year), but I always fall back into it. It all starts with " Just a beer or 2....or just on the weekends.....Blah ,blah ,blah....". But soon I'm back to my regular drinking routine. I drank last night and there's not a beer left in the whole house. So figured it's a good time to quit again. Wish me luck.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hey and welcome LittleSpicy.

Congratulations on your new start. I wish you success as it's my experience that luck has very little to do with recovery.

You can do this thing.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard. Have you tried AA? Its worked for thousands of people and saved many lives.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's great to see a new member!

Welcome to SR!
Old 01-18-2007, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

get to your local AA meeting wiill be a mush for a solid recovery

Good luck
Old 01-18-2007, 05:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi LittleSpicy.

As a new poster here myself and someone who is dabbling with the idea that I might be able to moderate I really thank you for your first post. It is sobering (apt word eh?) to read that my thoughts on this matter may well just be the alcoholism speaking.

Good luck in your recovery and thanks for sharing.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi there. I'm new here too! You sound very much like me. I'm 35, nightly Bud Ice drinker (7-9 per night) for the last 10+ years. I've been sober now with my husband for 17 days which is the longest I've EVER gone. It hasn't been easy as we quit cold turkey, but the withdrawal is managable and each day gets a little better! You can do it! Good luck to you!
Old 01-18-2007, 06:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

AA works for me. Welcome new people.

http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/?Media=PlayFlash
Old 01-18-2007, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LS,

Look up a local meeting, try at least 5 different meetings, then ask some questions.

Try to find a beginner meeting.

Good luck, and take it One Day at a Time.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am only a few days sober myself, so were in it together.
Welcome and I wish you success.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

good luck with your new sobriety. I struggled with this issue for a bit and finally got sober b/c got sick of being sick and tired.

Peace, Levi
Old 01-19-2007, 09:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Littlespicy you sound like me in regards to moderation experimentation and quitting for a while and then the disease fooling me into thinking I can drink like normal people.

When I reached the point where I had to drink to even feel normal and I was on the edge of the cliff getting ready to go over the edge and lose it all including my life, I put myself into de-tox and straight into AA, I am happy and sober now after 40 years of drinking, it has been 123 days since my last drink, and thanks to AA and my Hogher Power the urge/need to drink has been lifted fro me.

I wish you all the best in your efforts, I will tell you that for me it took help to get and stay sober and AA to make me happy and sober.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think the last thing that can be taken from an individual is their to freedom choose. In hindsight...and in hindsight only, I know that as long as I felt I had choices with respect to drinking, I couldn't choose to stop consistently over any great length of time. It was only when I realized that I could not respect my own choices or keep them (e.g. telling myself each morning I would not drink today..then drink...telling myself I would only have 1 or 2 and then having a dozen) that I was powerless over alcohol (once ingested). I had to accept that alcohol...once in my system...rendered me powerless to make any good choice afterward.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It really is a small world.

Thanks to all that replied and/or gave me advice. I'm surprised at how many people are here with beer problems. I know....1 beer,1 glass of wine,...blah ,blah. But I just figured most people with drinking problems were on hard liquor. I can see I was wrong.Evidently,if it's alcohol it can be a problem. As for the AA thing, I actually tried it about 3 years ago. But it didn't really help me alot. Most people there were far worse than I was and to me it seemed like the blind leading the blind. It was however an eye opener to see what is ahead of me if I continue down this path. Multiple D.U.I.s, divorce,job loss and even severe health problems. I quit because I saw one of the "hard core " AA'ers buying a case of beer. I figured, if it didn't help him......then screw it. I guess what I want is a "cure". But there is none. I finally realized that the strength has to come within' myself. It's my choice. I may fail from time to time, but I have to keep trying.

Kudos to all of you.

LittleSpicy (I'm a short man and love my Texas Pete hot sauce)