Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

just for today - tips on how to not project and to let the past go ?

Notices

just for today - tips on how to not project and to let the past go ?

Old 11-30-2006, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

Exclamation just for today - tips on how to not project and to let the past go ?

Just for today I am going to try to let the past go, accept the things I cannot change and call on my HP to give me strength and courage.

I wish I could just run and hide but instead I hope to get to an old meeting that I was a regular at after an OUI. Just felt comfortable there. With one exception there was a very large man who I called on for support at a time of need and he screamed yelled and berated me so loudly that it could be heard in other rooms. I need to try and let this go but he mentally hurt me and is a large enough man that he is physically intimidating.

Does anyone have any tips on how to let go the past and or not projecting to the future without need ??

Any feedback, support or insight would be greatly appreciated !

Thank you !
Old 11-30-2006, 05:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I started working the Steps
I began my emotional healing.

I suggest you find a Step study meeting.

Blessings..
Old 11-30-2006, 07:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

frstnm do you have a sponsor? If not I would highly suggest going to a "Beginners meeting" and get one. Or if you recall someone at the meeting you felt comfortable at that seemed like someone to your liking aproach them about being and or helping you find a sponsor.

Okay now for my 2 cents worth! LOL

To be honest with you the best thing I found to do is simply accept the past is the past and as a result I can not change it so using the first line of the serenity prayer I accept the fact that I can not change it.

If there is guilt for something done in the past and it is possible to make amends for it without hurting anyone then do so, no matter if the person you try to make your amends to accepts it or not, you will feel better.

If you are holding resentments for things from the past, accept they are from the past, accept that the person who wronged you if it was not something done in retalition for something you did needs to be forgiven by you, there is nothing to be gained by holding grudges, let them go.

You need to remember that your Higher Power has forgiven you for your wrongs and as a result you have to forgive yourself, if you refuse to forgive yourself then you feel you are above your higher power which is your disease speaking to you.

Keep in mind that no matter how far or fast you run, your past will always be there........ in your past! Accept the fact that the past was the old you, you are changing and moving on, learn from the past, but do not dwell on it.

A guy shared the following in a meeting and if you think about it it is very true: "If you live with one foot in the past and one in the future you have no choice but to crap all over today!"
Old 11-30-2006, 08:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks so much !!

thanks i have to keep reminding myself that
i was actualy talking to a friend and he said he had negative thinking from all the things in his past and I actually told him the same thing
guess I wasnt listening to myself speak !!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Yesterday is gone, tomorrow isn't here yet. Sometimes I only need to live for today, and if that gets to be too much I only have to live in the moment.

Work the Steps, honor the Traditions, and the Promises do come true. "We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it". Eventually we realize how much we've learned from our past, and come to believe that every experience we've had led us up to this point, exactly where we should be.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Talking

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Yesterday is gone, tomorrow isn't here yet. Sometimes I only need to live for today, and if that gets to be too much I only have to live in the moment.

Work the Steps, honor the Traditions, and the Promises do come true. "We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it". Eventually we realize how much we've learned from our past, and come to believe that every experience we've had led us up to this point, exactly where we should be.
You nailed that one Astro!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thank you all keep it coming !

gotta live for today not yesterday and not tomorrow
Thanks and keep it all coming my way !
Old 11-30-2006, 09:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Wake up every moring and ask God for nothing more then the power to stay sober that day and the ability to do his will and before you go to sleep thank him for your sobriety and his gifts of the day.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Wake up every moring and ask God for nothing more then the power to stay sober that day and the ability to do his will and before you go to sleep thank him for your sobriety and his gifts of the day.
Amen, Tazman! It's really a simple program!