Notices

Thanksgiving: what are YOU thankful for?

Old 11-22-2006, 07:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thanksgiving: what are YOU thankful for?

Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it on SR!!!

This year I am most thankful for finding this website and for making a decision to change my life for the better. I'm thankful for the support here; both the direct support I've received or the support I've gleaned from reading old threads and the advice and wisdom contained in them.
I'm especially thankful to I'mReady99 (Steve). He and I have formed a buddy system here. We have PMd each other every day for the past week and given words of encouragement to one another. Thank you. I've gone more than one week without so much as a drop of booze. It feels.....nice.

I'm ready to have a fun, sober Thanksgiving with my loved ones. By not filling up on beer, I'll have more room for FOOD!

What are YOU thankful for?
Old 11-22-2006, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Im thankful that tho my son and I have no family to spend the holiday with,and that makes me sad, I am confident that God will provide me with just exactly what I need on Thanksgiving.

So, I guess Im grateful for having that faith.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am thankful for the life of service and joy
that God and AA have given me.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Old 11-22-2006, 10:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanksgiving

Originally Posted by FriendofBill
Im thankful that tho my son and I have no family to spend the holiday with,and that makes me sad, I am confident that God will provide me with just exactly what I need on Thanksgiving..
But you not are at alone at Thanksgiving. There are many people that feel that way. If you and your son need someplace to go, call around to the homeless shelters. They will be serving dinner to the homeless and would surely welcome additional hands and bright faces.

Local nursing homes too might be a place to call...again, they are always looking for people to spend time with. Sometimes the best thing to do is spend time with others who feel the way you do. That way, you have each other.

Old 11-22-2006, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm thankful for every moment of sobriety, and the beautiful friendships I've made in AA.

FOB, ORR is right. See if you can help out somewhere. My kids and I will spend Thanksgiving at my AA hall serving dinner to 250+ homeless, families, and people in recovery. I'd rather be there than anywhere else.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am thankful for:

1. My wonderful job. Last year at this time I was told I had to find a new job and was having problems finding something. Was in the depths of my depression and drinking.

2. My sober friend, Kate. She is always there to drive me to an AA meeting and to share her wisdom.

3. My friend, Josie, who has given me numerous rides to court ordered classes (I lost my license), grocery stores, movies, Target and who dog sat for me when I went to jail for my DUI.

4. Sobriety. A year ago I was in the depths of depression. I am so glad that a year later I am healing and learning to deal with life on life's terms w/o using.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Kathy
Old 11-22-2006, 11:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Originally Posted by TouchTheMirror
Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it on SR!!!

This year I am most thankful for finding this website and for making a decision to change my life for the better. I'm thankful for the support here; both the direct support I've received or the support I've gleaned from reading old threads and the advice and wisdom contained in them.
I'm especially thankful to I'mReady99 (Steve). He and I have formed a buddy system here. We have PMd each other every day for the past week and given words of encouragement to one another. Thank you. I've gone more than one week without so much as a drop of booze. It feels.....nice.

I'm ready to have a fun, sober Thanksgiving with my loved ones. By not filling up on beer, I'll have more room for FOOD!

What are YOU thankful for?
Thanks friend, the feeling is mutual...

I am also thankful that I have found this site and ran into TouchTheMirror (Tim), for without his personalized support and encouragement, I'm not 100% sure that I would be saying, OK bragging, that I have a week of sobriety under my belt...

I am thankful that I'm going to be a sober Grandparent shortly...
I am thankful that my wife is still with me, it came close that she was not...
I am thankful that my daughter still loves me. God knows I probably don't deserve her love...
I'm thankful I still have the same job I've had for 30 years. I could have lost it many times...
I'm thankful I have a nice home to live in...
I'm thankful I have good friends who have stuck by me...
I think I'm most thankful for having my sobriety, no matter how short of a time, because I really believe, if I didn't quit when I did. I wouldn't have everything I listed above...

Have a GREAT sober Thanksgiving everyone. Life is better sober.

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 11-22-2006, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What am I thankful for?

First and foremost, I'm thankful that through the support of AA, terrific friends, and an amazing sober network (which SR is now a part of), I have managed to remain sober for more than nine years.

I'm thankful that I have a great rewarding job, a warm house to live in, and a incredibly supportive partner to go home to--none of which I would have without my sobriety!!!

And I'm also thankful that I read this post. I think we (or at least I do) spend so much time dwelling on the negatives: how hard it is staying sober. We don't spend enough time contemplating the payoff. It is so worth the hard work!!!!! Few things that are prized in life are ever easy. Sobriety, which I prize above everything else, is definitely worth the effort.

Have a great one everyone,
Peggy
Old 11-22-2006, 06:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am thankful for
- better relationships with my family. Especially my son. What a gift!
- my optimistic outlook on the future.
- The people in my AA group. I would not be sober without them
- Better health both physically and emotionally
So much to be thankful for today!
JMHS
Old 11-23-2006, 04:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Serenity today

Family
Health
Sobriety
Forgiveness
Today
Old 11-23-2006, 05:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi folks,
I'm thankful for my wife, Liz.
I'm thankful for my daughter, Sheila. She's two.
I'm thankful for my four week old son - Liam.
These are some of the miracles in my life. I'm 46 years old. I did nothing with my life for years - except drink. God is giving me a chance to do it right. Carpe diem folks, and carpe that drumstick - Happy Thanksgiving all.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am thankful for another sober day and for my health. From that springs the opportunities to make excellent choices, which feels like freedom. So, I am thankful to know that I am free.

I am grateful that my relationships today are all aove board, honest and mutually beneficial.

I am thankful for being an active member in a network of recovery, and that we touch many souls here.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Happy Happy Thanksgiving! I know that almost EVERYBODY here has a hell of a lot to be thankful for!! Sharing what we're thankful for is a tradition in my family. So, I'd like to share with y'all what I'm thankful for today too...

I'm thankful to be alive and sober. I'm thankful to have another chance to live my life and follow my heart. I'm thankful for those that love me in spite of their better judgement..lol I'm thankful that my loved ones are healthy and happy today. I'm thankful for all of you here that share your lives, and reach out for help..because when you reach out for help, you help others..wheather you know it or not. And finally, I'm just thankful for a day to reflect, to be off work, and to eat like a freakin' pig!! LOL WOO HOOO!!!

Happy Thanksgiving guys!!
-Moni (and pie...i forgot to mention pie)
Old 11-23-2006, 08:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!

There is SO much to be thankful for that it is hard to know where to start! Here are the things that come immediately to mind:

I'm grateful for my sobriety and all the benefits that have come with not drinking and learning to live life on life's terms.

I'm grateful for my family, although we are small we are all here and healthy.

I'm grateful for our newest member of the family, my neice Skye. She is 11 months old and this will be her first Thanksgiving!

I'm grateful for my SO Steve, someone who loves me warts and all LOL!

I'm grateful for my AA home group as well as the people on SR as all have played huge parts in my sobriety.

I am grateful that I have my health, a good job, clothes to wear and food to eat.

I am grateful that I am cooking a big meal without the hangover from hell and that I will be able to sit back and enjoy my family without trying to figure out how to sneak in a drink or detoxing.

I am grateful that I was able to get up at 3:30 this morning, clear-headed, and sit at my home group for a 4 hour shift to be there for fellow alcoholics who needed the fellowship.

I will be grateful to lay my head down tonight, sober and exhausted but serene and content.

Hugs to you all,
Kellye