Notices

Anyone been to jail?

Old 10-25-2006, 09:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone been to jail?

Hello all,

I awaiting a court date for a 3rd DWI offense. There is a mandatory 30 day sentence. I'm not sure what's going to happen. I'm scared that I will be hurt in jail. I am not that big (5'6" 145 lbs). Also, what happens when I get out? Will I be able to work again in the same field? I have heard that incarceration prevents people from attaining professional jobs. I have committed to sobriety, but things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

Cubbie
Old 10-25-2006, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

cubbie,
I spent a 30 day sentense in jail...it was bad,but I made it through.
The worst part was missing my family.
You will make it,have faith and we will send prayers your way.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Boop,

Thanks for replying. What happened when you got out? Did you have a job to go to? How did life turn out afterwards?

Cubbie
Old 10-25-2006, 11:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

First of all I hope you have a good DWI attorney. Second, if you are working and can show you attend AA (possibly your sponsor would go to court with you) the Judge may allow you to do the 30 days in weekends at the county jail. Even if you are sentenced to the whole 30 days it will be done in county jail.

Be prepared to be bored out of your mind. I do believe they will allow you to bring your AA book with you.

incarceration prevents people from attaining professional jobs
Maybe but..........................your actions and your work ethic is what really counts!!!!!! You need to work on you Just For Today. Live in Today. Discuss your concerns with your Attorney. Ask your Attorney your options on sentencing see what his recommendations are on what to present to the Court.

Seeing as you are still "awaiting" a Court Date, continue with your Daily Recovery and Daily Job Search. You may want to take any job that brings in income right now and continue your search for a job in your field. By being employed, attending AA DAILY, showing you have a sponsor, you may be able to get 'weekends' to serve your 30 days. Many have done that.

That's all I can think of right now. Will add more later if I think of more.

J M H O

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 10-25-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Laurie,

Thanks for your reply. I was just denied employment at one company (a management consulting firm) because the last arrest appeared in my background report. I so desperately want to work right now, not only for income, but also for some stability. What types of jobs should I apply to where my background will not be as big of an issue?

Cubbie
Old 10-25-2006, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe sometime while applying for the job on the application it states have you ever been arrested and why write down why and what your doing to correct it and how long you have been clean. I have been honest up front and even though they do a background check they are aware of it so it doesnt look like I was hiding something. Plus it looks like I lied on my application if I dont and I know they will find out. Most companies as long as they know your clean and working a program will understand as there are alot of addicts/alcoholics out there in the work force who are good members of society they just had a problem realized it and got help for it. That might help in the future I think if your honest and clean your past when you were not clean shouldnt be held against you but then again that is just my opinion. I wish you luck as I know how scared you are right now. KJ
Old 10-25-2006, 03:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

cubbie,
I didnt have a job...my job was full time drinking.I didnt find a job until I finally got sober.
But,my past record was brought up because I worked for the state.
There was a inquiry but I didnt loose my job.

Life sober is so differant,even the way I handle stress is differant.I no longer turn to drinking,I come here when I need to.

Hang in there.Life does get better.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Myself, I've been to jail several times-it's just rest camp, very boring. You'll be OK.

I know of two men that got sober in penitentaries. Both of them ended up working for the department of corrections in their respective states.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Might I suggest you worry about the job problem when it comes....projecting into the future isnt going to solve a problem that hasnt occured yet.

Work on fixing your insides today and your outside situation will fix itself.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Cubbie,
I got a 3rd DUI in 10 years this last April. There is a mandatory 30 day sentence but there is also another part to that statute and my attorney was able to get me a sentence of 6 days. I hope you look into it more before your sentencing. Before sentencing I took initiative and got an alcohol assessment and enrolled in long-term outpatient treatment and attended AA meetings. I showed the Judge that I was very serious about addressing my problem. Jail itself wasn't too bad -- but I had been there once before for 2 days and knew what to expect. You learn who to avoid and who to befriend very quickly. Either someone is approachable or not. I avoided the "loud" hardened women.

As for your job, it really shouldn't be a problem as long as a 3rd DUI isn't a felony in your state. I work for a very large and well respected lawfirm, and I got this job after my 3rd DUI. It wasn't an issue at all. Also, you may be able to get work release while you are in jail -- check it out and have your attorney push for that.

My heart goes out to you because I know the fear and anxiety the situation brings. This was truly my bottom and I now have over 6 months sobriety. Feel free to PM if you want.
Kathy
Old 10-25-2006, 09:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Yup, I've been to jail.
Felony Drug Posession with Intent to Sell.
Bailed out before I had to shower with the guys.
Phew!
I just recieved a suspended prison sentance and probation for it. So I really can't f*ck up this time.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

forget work
who will hire you
if you are going to jail soon
go to AA
take it one day at a time

best
fraankie
Old 10-27-2006, 03:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cubbie
Hello all,

I awaiting a court date for a 3rd DWI offense. There is a mandatory 30 day sentence. I'm not sure what's going to happen. I'm scared that I will be hurt in jail. I am not that big (5'6" 145 lbs). Also, what happens when I get out? Will I be able to work again in the same field? I have heard that incarceration prevents people from attaining professional jobs. I have committed to sobriety, but things are going to get a lot worse before they get better.

Cubbie

Well it sounds like you arent going to "prison". You would be doing yourself a great favor by getting an attorney. The judge also takes into consideration that the defendant has gotten himself into a treatment program such as AA BEFORE the court date. Worst case senario,....going to the kind of jail you would be going to is full of people just like you. With the same offense severity level. Trust me....they arent going to put prisoners that would shank someone in with DUI offenders. You will be ok.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am going tomorrow to do a 30 hour stretch for DUI. Everyone keeps telling me that I can do it standing on my head. I am hoping to avoid the shower thingie too.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Best wishes to you seekingpeace. Just so you know, you'll be strip searched when you first go in. It is fast and not a big deal really. As long as you are mentally prepared for it, no biggie. In the women's section, you could take "private" showers -- they had a curtain and you could take a shower anytime during your "free periods". I'm sure each place is different, but you'll be okay. One day at a time..... you'll get through.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

OK I have done my time and am back out. It wasn't particlurlarly bad, just loud and dull. Don't want to go back though.:sweat