Notices

New Forum

Old 06-02-2005, 09:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 3legacy
Tracy:
Where did you run into that piece? I agree with some and not with others and it appears to be a personal opinion piece. Who produced and published it?
Dr. Floyd Garrett, and it was a snippet from one of his many articles on this site:

http://www.bma-wellness.com/papers/F...A_Meeting.html
Old 06-02-2005, 09:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chy
If you'd like some recommendations please feel free to ask.
I like sober24.com - what are some other good ones?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Artman

Are you banned from the new forum...or not?

Cathy31
x
Old 06-02-2005, 09:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by TracyAgain
- what are some other good ones?
I like Sober Musicians.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:20 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Dan
I'm sure you are not banned from the new forum...are you?
Cathy31
x
Old 06-02-2005, 09:21 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DangerousDan
I like Sober Musicians.
Whoa! I didn't know that was a site. I thought it was the name of your band

:band

LOL.

I'll check it out.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by TracyAgain

I'll check it out.
Anytime
Old 06-02-2005, 09:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

See you guys. Thanks to everyone who was supportive of me, and a special thanks to Dangerous Dan and Andy F. You guys are like mentors to me.

Peace Out,

Doorknob
Old 06-02-2005, 09:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Doorknob
Are you going somewhere? See you guys as in goodbye...?
Cathy31
x
Old 06-02-2005, 10:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

yep I am band too

I do find all of this a bit strange.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:17 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

but then I did need people who think in cliche and talk in slogans in my early days as well - I thank those who drummed the message into me. I guess it kept me sober.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:19 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Doorknob I hope your not leaving for good.

Dont judge AA by its members - its far more complex and wonderful than what you read here.

this is just people having tit for tat.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

mind you there are so many arguments on here that it maybe good that newcomers dont see us lot bickering and just walk out of the door. s

blessing in disguise?

i love all AA members, even the ones who make me dry wretch, they have ALL kept me sober somehow. but i would argue with them like i would argue with my mates and then hope that no bad feeling resulted.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I don't venture much into AA, but I came across this discussion, and I thought I'd chime in. Speaking as a member of SR (and not a mod), I can see how a new member posting in the AA Forum gets thrown into the mix. Some people do fine, but others post once, and never come back...because their specific problem/question/inquiry is sidetracked and they don't get the answers they need. Because alcoholism hits so deep, any discussion can get very heated. You'd hope that they would persevere...but many come in at their lowest and have very little fight left in them.

I hope the new forum provides them a bit of shelter, and will merely a temporary stop for them...on their way to the main AA Forum.

-pedagogue
Old 06-02-2005, 11:45 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Remember to breathe

Originally Posted by Cathy31
Artman

Are you banned from the new forum...or not?

Cathy31
x
Cathy-

Nope. I can see it when I log on so I assume that I am able to post.

Would a separate forum for "AA Debate" be a viable alternative? Then in the regular AA forum there could be a "new tradition" that our focus will be the program and not our various disagreements with other members about how to practice it, and we all agree in the interest of unity and our common welfare to refrain from debate except in the "AA Debate" forum?

Just an idea. Maybe a crappy one, but an idea nonetheless.....
Old 06-02-2005, 11:51 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

IIRC I think they had something of a AA Debate Forum awhile back (before my time), and it got ugly and closed after a short time.

-pedagogue
Old 06-02-2005, 12:53 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Artman

I am a fervent, passionate, grateful member of AA. I have helped MANY newcomers...I don't want to be on a AA debate forum (in my opinion, there IS no debate...AA is AA...it even tells you HOW IT WORKS, there's not much to debate)

I just am sickened that as a person whose life has been SAVED and TURNED AROUND so magnificently through the grace of God and AA, that here on SR I am not ENTITLED to share it...because of...well, I don't know why not, something quite facist like going on IMHO, whose criteria again got people banned?!

One of the most pertinent principles of AA is the concept of one alcoholic helping another...not one alcoholic that the MOD on SR (non AA, lol!) decides QUALIFIES to help another alcoholic.

Decision Makers, you are doing your members a GRAVE DISSERVICE.

Just a suggestion...are any of the MODS getting too close to the woods to see the trees?? Do we need some fresh blood...can we elect new MODS to give you guys a rest?

Just a thought, cause it's really starting to get pretty regimental...lol we all agreed BANNIG was unkind and unpleasant and now you've done it before anyone posts! LOL! But some people of course, the usual suspects no doubt, are allowed to post. Where is the logic. Very, VERY disappointing.

Cathy31
Old 06-02-2005, 01:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

First of all I don't consider that anyone has been banned. I never come over to this forum unless I receive complaints. When I get here I try to solve the problems so that everyone has a place of recovery. I have been unable to solve the problem and I've really tried hard.

I was considering what my options were. We could censor all the posts and delete all the flames. That didn't seem like a good idea to me. I think your "discussions" are important to you. I then considered making you a forum where you could continue your discussions in a private forum. That wasn't a good idea because through all the arguing there are some good points made in your discussions that will help others to make their own choices about a program that they want to follow. I've asked you guys numerous times to share your experience, strength and hope and not cross talk on every thread and not flame each other. I've also asked that you put each other on ignore if you are really bothered by what another person posts. You have been unable to do that. I can accept that.

The only other option I could think of was a forum for newcomers or others that couldn't handle your arguments and left the board because of it. I didn't ban anyone for bad reasons. It was my way of compromising so everyone would be happy.

I would be happy to delete the new forum and go to censorship if that would make everyone feel better, but know if I do that that all flames will be deleted and this forum will become a safe place for everyone to share and get appropriate support with no flame wars tolerated. I didn't think that would make you guys happy either. That's the problem. Nothing I've tried to do makes you happy. I've spent hours through PM's trying to solve the problems and trying to offer solutions. I guess I just got tired of it.

But honestly I have no hard feeling for anyone and I was just hoping to come up with a solution that solved the problems.

I'm still open to other options if this one causes anyone distress. I went through the threads and blocked the memebers who participated in the "discussions" of the different views of AA. I thought that the newcomer could just get the simple basic information that way without the confusion that the arguments might cause. They can still see this forum and are still welcome to participate here. The members who left this forum because of the arguments will also have a place to go.

I am not AA and am not a member of a 12 step group. I know nothing about indoctrination or the different things you all disagree on. I'm trying to look at this from the outside and solve the complaints I'm getting. It's just that simple.

Old 06-02-2005, 01:31 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Morning Glory

Banning is an option Cathy and you are getting really close.

Old 06-02-2005, 01:39 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

???????????

Originally Posted by Morning Glory
Banning is an option Cathy and you are getting really close.
Really close to what may I ask?