Notices

half bottle ...

Old 12-05-2004, 01:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

half bottle ...

I went to my bellringer's Christmas Dinner last night. An annual event down here in my part of Devon (UK) - must have been about 24 of us. Unfortunately the "greased pig" contest was cancelled due to the vicar having a bad knee.

Now as I've been in recovery (I was dry this time last year, but drank again) for a bit, I honestly did not want to drink at all. Anyway, the way this lot were drinking (I love them all dearly) it wasn't worth starting.

I sat there all evening monitoring my stretch of the table for how much people were drinking I've probably always behaved like this, but I really noticed it last night. Most people had one or two alcoholic drinks all night. There was much cooing and clucking about how I had stopped drinking and smoking (which I liked) but there was an opened bottle of red wine, half full, in front of me. I didn't want to drink the wine at all, but it was sitting there NOT being drunk. To me, this was amazing, how could there be an open bottle of booze on the table and no one was drinking it.!!?? If I were drinking I would have necked that small offering and ordered two more. It was like having a naughty picture of Britney Spears on the table, my eyes kept wandering to it and then I would look away quickly as if I shouldn't have been looking.

When we got up to get our coats at the end it was still there on the empty table !! Not consumed !! How could these people not have drunk the wine..!! I'm sure I heard a quiet giggle as I turned to leave.

A great sober evening for me and I've learned some more about myself too.

much love
JC
Old 12-05-2004, 01:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Paused

Isn't that something how they can do that JaySee? I really notice those sorts of things also. At Thanksgiving, my sister had a few glasses of wine and left the last one half empty or half full, if you wish, in front of her for hours without touching it. I wasn't tempted, but repulsed by the thought of the taste. It was the pink stuff. Not my favorite, but I would have drank it if I had to. Back in the day. Finally, as I was clearing the table. I asked her is she was going to finish her wine? She said no, she didn't want it and I dumped it down the sink. Yeah, unheard of right? I always think back of how many bottles of wine would have been consumed, if I had been drinking that night. Many more for certain. I'm certainly glad their hadn't been. Yippee for that. I'm off to bed...way past my bedtime. Goodnight and take care.

Love ya, don't forget. Pencil skirt with maryjanes today. You'll be good to go.
LeAnne
Old 12-05-2004, 03:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Happy Christmas!

hi JaySee

Glad to hear you had a good sober evening. A couple of weeks ago I went out to dinner with mates from work and they were drinking my favourite poison, red wine. I had a hard time keeping my eyes away from the bottle going around the table, just like when I was drinking (I was always aware of how much was there and very keen to make sure I got my share)
We all went to the pub afterwards and more wine was consumed. I excused myself a bit early and went home feeling a bit disappointed that I am still so fixated on what people are drinking...I could tell you exactly how many drinks each person had!
I am really looking forward to the day when I don't care, don't notice the damn bottle, because I am just having a good time. At least I was the only one not hungover at work next day! :friday:
Old 12-05-2004, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
spirit

oh JC i am so proud of you mate, beyond words
much love and hugs to you - you are truely awesome hon

love kath
ps what is greasing the pig - and how is a vicar involved or shouldnt i go there haha
Old 12-05-2004, 05:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY MATE.
GLAD YOU ARE SEEING THINGS IN A DIFFERENT WAY.
I'VE ALWAYS BEEN AMAZED THAT PEOPLE COULD DRINK SOCIALY.
ACTUALLY I LIKED BEING AT PARTIES LIKE THAT,IT MEANT MORE BOOZE FOR ME!
NO HEADACHES THIS MORNING BRO,THATS A GOOD THING.
KEEP AT IT JC ..............ted :xmaso
Old 12-05-2004, 05:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go! We are so very proud of you.
I think that in the same situation,if I were there(when I drank) that there wouldnt be any alcohol left at the end of the party,but my self respect would be empty also!

Good for you!
Old 12-05-2004, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jaycee, I'm glad you had a good, sober evening.
Thank you for my morning
Hugs,
Gabe
Old 12-05-2004, 06:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Jaysee; It seems that open bottle of wine was haunting you and tempting you, otherwise you would have ignored it totally.
There will come a time when you will be totally oblivious to these things, but in the meantime give yourself a gold star!
That half bottle of opened wine was symbolic. I bet you will never forget it!
Good on ya

Love Diana
Old 12-05-2004, 06:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad you had a good evening and managed it sober. I have been in situations like that myself and find myself feeling annoyed at those who were there who could drink for wasting booze. I also find that a couple days after having my drug of choice sitting there stairing me in the face I will end up having drinking thoughts and dreams. I really get annoyed at people who can drink and don'r. But that is why they are not alcoholics. lol
Old 12-05-2004, 07:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Good for you JC! I'm glad you had a good sober evening.

When I was drinking, I wouldn't let a half full anything pass me by. Boy I'm glad those days are over!

I, too, would love to know what a greased pig is and how it involves the vicar.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dan

Prayers up for the vicar's knee JC.
Old 12-05-2004, 03:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey JC. People who could drink, yet did not want to drink too much always bugged me too. I hated those people! I did not understand them. Damm did they make me uncomfortable! It forced me to see the big contrast between their drinking and mine.