Notices

Recovery

Old 11-27-2019, 06:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery

Hi everyone,

I came across this quote from an old post on sober recovery and it's kind of made me realise something.

"There is a difference between just not drinking and recovery. Which are you doing?"

Its helped me realise that all I've done is stopped drinking and nothing else. I have a hard time putting my thoughts and emotions into words but every now and then I find something on here or at a meeting that I can relate to.
I've recently joined AA and I'm relating to so much everytime I hear someone's share, I seem to leave a meeting understanding myself a little more each time.

My plan is to now learn about working the steps and starting the road to recovery.

Can anyone else relate to this?

I've been sober for over 6 years and only joined AA about a month ago.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
nez

I can definitely relate. To me there is a huge difference between sobriety and recovery. I was stark raving sober for 5 years, but did nothing to address the underlying layers and issues behind my alcoholism.

When I stopped drinking, that took away one problem, but it was like cutting down one tree. The forest was still there.

I returned to drinking, which added another problem back onto my list. Sixteen years ago, I put the bottle down again; but this time I also worked on recovery in addition to not drinking.

All I can say is WOW!!!. I finally found what I was looking for long before I ever picked up my first drink at 18 years of age. The difference in my life is amazing!
Old 11-27-2019, 08:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nez View Post
I can definitely relate. To me there is a huge difference between sobriety and recovery. I was stark raving sober for 5 years, but did nothing to address the underlying layers and issues behind my alcoholism.

When I stopped drinking, that took away one problem, but it was like cutting down one tree. The forest was still there.

I returned to drinking, which added another problem back onto my list. Sixteen years ago, I put the bottle down again; but this time I also worked on recovery in addition to not drinking.

All I can say is WOW!!!. I finally found what I was looking for long before I ever picked up my first drink at 18 years of age. The difference in my life is amazing!
That's incredible! Thank you for sharing.

I loved that stark raving sober line Haha.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

i suggest you work those steps and see what you learn about you! eye opening! and freeing
Old 11-29-2019, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Being in AA and working the steps has been a life changer for me. Not only have I not taken a drink for 19 months but I am changing as a person. I am more patient and tolerant, calmer, kinder,more caring, less selfish and self seeking, my self pity and resentments (I lived in both) are almost none existent but the steps help me to recognise them and work on them when they crop up, I am less fearful and more honest. I love it, I really do. Just stopping drinkng for this alcoholic wasn't enough. No way. I would have picked up a drink before now for sure.

I guarantee you doing the steps will change your life.

❤🙏❤🙏
Old 11-29-2019, 11:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I tried "not drinking" for a while and found it to be........ unfulfilling - if that's even the right word. While I understand that for many people, the ability to not pick up that next first drink is something well within their power, I had very mixed results. While I could muster up some decent dry-time, it was more like a count-down to getting loaded again than it was an accumulation of clean time. I kept hoping that, sooner or later, I'd just like being dry and then go on with my life. Long story short, I was very much like that guy described on page 151 spouting off at meetings, to my friends, and to family, "Now and then a serious drinker, being dry at the moment says, “I don’t miss it at all. Feel better. Work better. Having a better time.”" I figured I could just convince myself I was enjoying not drinking but really, I wasn't.

Contrast that with being a recovered alcoholic and, well... everything's different. The process of recovery via the 12 steps, one I sincerely didn't believe in and would have bet money was a complete farce, did exactly for me what those who had experienced it before me promised me it would do - it changed me into a different person and altered (for the better) my entire outlook and perception of the world around me. Sure, I fall back into old habits from time to time but for the most part, so long as I'm working on the maintenance of my spiritual growth, I'm a new person.

One of the promises is that we can be "reborn." I certainly had my doubts and I had a lot of prejudices as well because my opinion of what that term might mean brought up old childhood beliefs rather than rational adult beliefs. I figured it was probably just something clever the ppl with strong programs bantered about as some pie-in-the-sky that maaaaaaaybe only the top people can accomplish. I see it now, however, as the most important part OF recovery. Am I the same person as I used to be.......just not drinking now? Or have I experienced a complete psychic change? For a long time in "sobriety" my answer was "Nope, same guy......just not drinking."

In all sincerity, were I told I had to relive drinking for a year.......or being sober without that psychic change for a year....... it would be a reeeeally tough choice to make. I'm about 51% sure I'd opt for the drinking. For me, the spiritual awakening IS the name of the game in my recovery. Without it, I'm miserable drunk OR sober.
Old 11-30-2019, 03:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is great awareness and willingness to seek more than just sobriety! I certainly believe that stopping the drinking is just the first (albeit critical) step. There is so much more, to become and live and do and be grateful for, if we indeed seek real recovery. It's what I call the backdrop of my life and that part, not the non-drinking is what truly gives me everything I have in this life.

IMO it's never "too late" or weird to go to and work the program of AA. It was a life or death option for me and I dove in immediately as it was the only program available. Short version of my husband's story is he started meetings with me about once a week, somewhere around 3-4 mo sober. It was much longer before he got a (real) sponsor and worked the steps - in fact, it was just this year as he reached 3 yrs sober. It's working for him.

Glad you are sharing, I hope you pursue an even better sober life, and let us know how you are doing!