Notices

Thoughts Please?

Old 07-31-2018, 02:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thoughts Please?

Can a dry drunk pick up a chip?
Can the alcoholic who has abstained from alcohol, but smoked legal majuanna pick up a chip?
Old 07-31-2018, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think both can as there are no specific rules about that. The AA chips are for "not drinking". They don't measure the quality of our recovery just the quantity of our sobriety. So for the dry drunk, I think they have just as much a reason to get the chip like anyone else who remained sober.

With the legal marijuana I don't know and I don't want to judge as lots of people have very different standards of what they consider sober. There I think the person should really ask themselves if they consider themselves sober despite the marijuana. In the end the chip says it all "to thine own self be true"
Old 07-31-2018, 03:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kevlarsjal2 View Post
I think both can as there are no specific rules about that. The AA chips are for "not drinking". They don't measure the quality of our recovery just the quantity of our sobriety. So for the dry drunk, I think they have just as much a reason to get the chip like anyone else who remained sober.

With the legal marijuana I don't know and I don't want to judge as lots of people have very different standards of what they consider sober. There I think the person should really ask themselves if they consider themselves sober despite the marijuana. In the end the chip says it all "to thine own self be true"
Thanks for your thoughts x x x
Old 07-31-2018, 07:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

can they?
sure.
do they?
sure.
should they?????

you are asking if we think it right...i do not think so, for the mj smoker. but i would not say that to them or others unless i were asked.
not my business.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

On most chips it’s has the serenity prayer on one side. The other side has the triangle with the three pillars. Service, Recovery and Unity..

Around the chip it says, “To Thine Own Self Be True.”

Wishing you the best!! Keep coming back!
Old 08-01-2018, 07:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fini View Post
can they?
sure.
do they?
sure.
should they?????

you are asking if we think it right...i do not think so, for the mj smoker. but i would not say that to them or others unless i were asked.
not my business.
Very well put.

I sponsor someone who took doctor-prescribed opioids when he was undergoing chemo and radiation.

The doctor wanted to keep him on them longer than he thought advisable and he weaned himself off of them even though the doctor wanted to give him another prescription renewal.

I certainly don't think that he needs a new white chip.

Incidentally, when I was reasonably early in sobriety i learned about someone in our group who had relapsed (I was at the meeting when he admitted it) and moved about a 100 miles away.

A friend who went to meetings there told me he had picked up a chip which reflected longer sobriety than i had.

I was shocked, but then I learned that honesty comes harder to some than others.

His lack of it may have played a roll in his relapse.

He is dead now, but I liked him a lot, notwithstanding his misstating his sobriety date.

As they say, not my circus, not my monkeys.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

to thine own self be true.

i know a guy that literally has a drawer full of one month chips.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

1. Yes
2. No
Old 08-01-2018, 09:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
nez

Yes.
Do they have what I want? No.
Can I learn from them? Yes.
Do I wish to emulate them or look to them as mentors? No.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post
Can a dry drunk pick up a chip?
Can the alcoholic who has abstained from alcohol, but smoked legal majuanna pick up a chip?
As was mentioned earlier, "to thine own self be true."

For me smoking pot is a no-no because I believe if I got high I would start drinking again. The only question is when.

A couple of years back I went to an NA meeting where a woman celebrated 10 years. She also talked about the wine she recently drank. The woman said alcohol had never been an issue for her. Her downfall was meth.

O.k. her call.

Sort of like a guy I heard in AA last year who said was at a party and without knowing how a beer bottle was in his hand. He took a couple of swigs before he came to the realization he was drinking beer. He also mentioned he recently celebrated three years.

Again his call.

My all time (for lack of a better term) favorite is a fellow I knew years back . A member who got sober when he was 19 or 20 although when I met him he was in his early 30`s. Then out of the blue he shared about a full blown weekend binder he went on. Drink, drugs, hookers the whole trip. He wanted to see what it was like given he had gotten sober at such a young age.

Now, here`s the weird part. Because it was just for a weekend he had no intention of restarting his sobriety date. In his mind the lost weekend didn't count.

Unfortunately what did count was ten years later when he started hitting the bottle pretty hard.

Don`t know where the man is now or if he`s sober.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What working definition of dry drunk are you using?
Mine is someone who is sober but, in a nutshell, still the alcoholic they always were in every other behavior and thinking. From experience, living with that kind of person is horrible. It is never something I want to be.

The issue of weed comes up a lot and people have varying opinions. Mine essentially comes down to two things- what's the intent behind it, i.e. Is it escapism, etc just like drinking? And ...it's not my business what others do. I don't have any medical reason or possibly legit one (and I am fine with it being legal but that doesn't mean it is legit for me to smoke) so that's an easy no for me.

Drugs are also a much discussed topic. I declined any pain med more than one round (10 days worth) of Tylenol w codeine or such when I had a severe back injury. My psych, ortho and I all agreed in this. If I have any surgery in the future, I will need to have the same discussion and discernment. Using them under this direction, if I do, and with safe guards in place even if it meant my husband giving me the pills or such, would absolutely not mean I wasn't sober.

The alcoholic mind comes up with a ton of crazy things. I won't use the word slip because I think it is self-deceiving. We either drink or we don't and one drink is a relapse. I would have to start over, if I didn't die first in short order be of how fast my drinking would escalate.

All this aside, it isn't not my business the what why or how anyone else determines sobriety. My strong opinions on all this are just that mine. I've got plenty to worry about than monitoring others sobriety or lack thereof.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your thoughts. I agree I think recovery is personal, and I dont think it is for anyone to make a call or judgement whether someone is “sober” or not. Each and everyone of us has our own journey’s and are different x
Old 08-07-2018, 03:50 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
What working definition of dry drunk are you using?
Mine is someone who is sober but, in a nutshell, still the alcoholic they always were in every other behavior and thinking. From experience, living with that kind of person is horrible. It is never something I want to be.

The issue of weed comes up a lot and people have varying opinions. Mine essentially comes down to two things- what's the intent behind it, i.e. Is it escapism, etc just like drinking? And ...it's not my business what others do. I don't have any medical reason or possibly legit one (and I am fine with it being legal but that doesn't mean it is legit for me to smoke) so that's an easy no for me.

Drugs are also a much discussed topic. I declined any pain med more than one round (10 days worth) of Tylenol w codeine or such when I had a severe back injury. My psych, ortho and I all agreed in this. If I have any surgery in the future, I will need to have the same discussion and discernment. Using them under this direction, if I do, and with safe guards in place even if it meant my husband giving me the pills or such, would absolutely not mean I wasn't sober.

The alcoholic mind comes up with a ton of crazy things. I won't use the word slip because I think it is self-deceiving. We either drink or we don't and one drink is a relapse. I would have to start over, if I didn't die first in short order be of how fast my drinking would escalate.

All this aside, it isn't not my business the what why or how anyone else determines sobriety. My strong opinions on all this are just that mine. I've got plenty to worry about than monitoring others sobriety or lack thereof.
Excellent response x Wholeheartedly agree x
Old 08-07-2018, 03:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

“ The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. “
Old 08-07-2018, 04:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

^True. Membership however is different than being to sober to accept chips and such.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I first read the original post I thought to myself, Man, if I asked 50 people at any meeting what the definition of a DryDrunk was I’d probably 50 different answers.

Then our friend August replied, “what working definition of dry drunk are you using?” So just for fun I looked up Dry Drunk in my, As Bill See’s it e-book.. haha, here’s how it was listed.

“Dry Drunk; see Anger, Depression, Resentment
“Anger 5, 39, 56, 58, 98, 113, 153, 179, 184, 268, 285, 309, 320”
“Depression 2, 30, 63, 92, 148
“Resentment 5, 39, 56, 58, 98, 176, 179, 268, 286”

Just wanted to share, interesting..
Old 08-07-2018, 11:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yes, at least as I see it.
I don't think the mood of the sober person is relevant.

As for marijuana, if legal and for a sound medical purpose: yes too.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dave42001 View Post
When I first read the original post I thought to myself, Man, if I asked 50 people at any meeting what the definition of a DryDrunk was I’d probably 50 different answers.

Then our friend August replied, “what working definition of dry drunk are you using?” So just for fun I looked up Dry Drunk in my, As Bill See’s it e-book.. haha, here’s how it was listed.

“Dry Drunk; see Anger, Depression, Resentment
“Anger 5, 39, 56, 58, 98, 113, 153, 179, 184, 268, 285, 309, 320”
“Depression 2, 30, 63, 92, 148
“Resentment 5, 39, 56, 58, 98, 176, 179, 268, 286”

Just wanted to share, interesting..
I just wanted to add here that "Depression" in this context does not include diagnosed "Clinical Depression".
I think what they mean here is like a "self-centered self-pity, feeling sorry for yourself, woe is me sort of thing.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Grateful

When I hear the term "dry drunk" my mind automatically translates it to "untreated alcoholism". It's when someone is basically exhibiting all the behaviors of an active alcoholic minus the alcohol. I would say that person has a lot bigger issues than whether or not they can pick up a chip, but if they haven't ingested alcohol then technically they are sober.

As for the legal marijuana, I don't think it matters if it's legal or not. Alcohol is legal and it nearly killed me. I can only answer for myself and I've only ever smoked weed to get high, so for me personally I would not consider myself sober if I were to smoke weed. As many have said before when these kinds of topics come up..."to thine own self be true".
Old 08-18-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sure, a person can pick up a chip; abstention from alcohol is what matters, and a person is still sober even if using prescription marijuana in my opinion.

I don't subscribe to untreated alcoholism. Untreated alcoholism is active alcoholism according to my definition.

As for being a dry drunk: it beats being a wet one.