Notices

Need Other AA''ers Thoughts Please

Old 05-31-2018, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need Other AA''ers Thoughts Please

I am in early recovery and attending AA meetings and loving it. I don't have a sponsor yet but there is a woman who goes to one of the meetings I go to who I am going to ask next time I see her.

I went to a meeting the other day and they were handing out chips and I got a 2 month one. I was convinced I was 2 months sober and everyone was so pleased for me there. Last night I was looking back at my calender and I thought errr hang on a minute and I am actually 6 weeks not 2 months!! What an idiot!! I feel really guilty. I text another alcoholic who goes to my meetings and she said it was a genuine mistake and to text a few other women to see what they say. It's too early here to do that so came to good old Sober Recovery instead .

What are your thoughts please?! X x
Old 05-31-2018, 10:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I reckon just share it next time you're at that meeting. Laugh at it and yourself and apologise for getting ahead of your self by mistake. It's not gonna be a big deal to anyone there, but it'll make you sleep better at night. Your clan there will understand that youve just done some washing machine head maths and made a booboo. You are human. Humans make mistakes.

Hugs to you.

BB
Old 05-31-2018, 10:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

in 2 weeks you will be two months so nothing to worry about
Old 05-31-2018, 10:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For my own ease of mind, if it were me I would just say that I had made a mistake and mention it. Goodness me, in my early sobriety my mind was like cotton wool. I expect is the same for most of us. Am sure people will understand.

Very well done on 6 weeks.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies. I read a post last night of someone who is facing jail because of her last binge and I thought, really Snitch? Someone is posting for advice because they are terrified about going to jail and you are posting because you are worried about picking up a chip early! But then I thought well there but for the Grace of God go I, and my new way of life is an honest one so being honest about that chip may have saved me from potentially going to jail one day.
I will keep that chip safe and celebrate it in 2 weeks!!
Old 06-01-2018, 01:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snitch View Post
Thanks for your replies. I read a post last night of someone who is facing jail because of her last binge and I thought, really Snitch? Someone is posting for advice because they are terrified about going to jail and you are posting because you are worried about picking up a chip early! But then I thought well there but for the Grace of God go I, and my new way of life is an honest one so being honest about that chip may have saved me from potentially going to jail one day.
I will keep that chip safe and celebrate it in 2 weeks!!
Thank you for this follow up post. A complete pleasure to read. You have made me smile. I will join you in not drinking today.

I found once I got honest in life, it was like a massively heavy weight was lifted off my shoulders.

Glad you are here. Enjoy your day.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

progress- an HONEST mistake!
10th step in plain english- accept i am human and will make mistakes. fix it.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

you`re good,Snitch
hang in there and laugh like hell about it with your friends!
Old 06-01-2018, 12:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If thats the worst thing you have done then I say let them know and have a good chuckle about it.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcutah1 View Post
If thats the worst thing you have done then I say let them know and have a good chuckle about it.
Haha, let's juast say it's the worse thing I have done in my new (2 months!) sober life 😂😉
Old 06-02-2018, 10:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great Job on 6 weeks!! Honest mistake, it's your program!! 60 is right around the corner and 90 is next!

Keep up the great work and good luck with your sponsor search. Keep coming back!!

Great post!
Old 06-03-2018, 01:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by snitch View Post
I am in early recovery and attending AA meetings and loving it. I don't have a sponsor yet but there is a woman who goes to one of the meetings I go to who I am going to ask next time I see her.

I went to a meeting the other day and they were handing out chips and I got a 2 month one. I was convinced I was 2 months sober and everyone was so pleased for me there. Last night I was looking back at my calender and I thought errr hang on a minute and I am actually 6 weeks not 2 months!! What an idiot!! I feel really guilty. I text another alcoholic who goes to my meetings and she said it was a genuine mistake and to text a few other women to see what they say. It's too early here to do that so came to good old Sober Recovery instead .

What are your thoughts please?! X x
This seems to be more of an American thing - the chips - I was told in my local AA a meeting that it is not really done here (in this country) and they don’t see the point of badges or whatever - one guys actually said “how would a badge keep me sober”

The focus is on the steps and anything is just unnecessary apparently so I wouldn’t worry overly about it