Notices

Terminally ill member

Old 10-07-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaceyDallas View Post
Everyone (OK, most people) in most meetings I attend seem to say things like, "Everything will work out" or "God has a perfect plan for our lives" or "leave it to your HP, he will take care of it." This has ALWAYS bothered me. Am I alone here, or do things not always work out in other people's lives, even when we pray about them? Just last night, I was discussing something in a meeting, multiple problems, and the person said, it will all work out. BUT WHAT IF THAT'S NOT GOD'S PLAN??? Isn't this all a bit misleading? I mean, one of the issues is a lump of unknown origin in my body. I wouldn't tell someone with a lump, "it will all work out." WHO SAYS THAT???
I've experienced exactly how you feel. Until I realized it's not meant to be like a "there, there, you'll have rainbows and bunnies soon." It's meant to basically mean this: stop worrying about it because it's out of your control. It's in God's hands. Let Him take care of it.

Also about God's plan: He's not up there deciding that tomorrow so and so will be struck with cancer, and so and so will be cured of cancer. It doesn't work that way in my opinion. I was taught that cancer isn't from God.

Aren't we just becoming wildly optimistic here? Isn't it almost irresponsible, at some point, to give vulnerable newcomers the idea that EVERYTHING works out? I mean, I'm smart enough to know it doesn't, but I just don't think this is the message we should be sending. Look around! Las Vegas! Puerto Rico! Houston!
It's not meant to be in a "everything's going to be rosy and peachy". It just sort of means that life goes on. Stuff just sort of falls back into place eventually, given the flow of life. We need to stop fighting that flow of life.

Things happens because of nature, because of humans, and that's just part of the ebbs and flows of life. God's not up there making this stuff happen, but He IS in control if that makes sense. But God gave us free fill. And nature is nature.

And the elephant in our own rooms: my dear friend, who now has terminal cancer. They have sent him home, because there is nothing more they can do. Well, you say, everyone has to die. Even says so in the Bible. Still, it's tough to hack.
There's a quote in a movie that says something like "God didn't promise us a pain free life". But, that He is there to protect us, comfort us, guide us, and love us. I guess it's all just part of being human.

Millions of people get treatable cancers every year, but this guy got one that is so rare, there is nothing they can do. It didn't all work out in the end for him. YET NO ONE TALKS ABOUT THIS. Yet people will STILL come to meetings and talk about God's Perfect Plan and how if only you pray, everything will work out.
God's plan I'm guessing is for this man to continue to live, until he's no longer alive. To accept his fate but still get up in the morning with purpose. I'm not explaining it right. One of my favorite circuit speakers talks about a man named "AK". This is a general idea of how the story went (paraphrasing). I think this may help you:

(Prefacing this to say that I am not breaking anonymity here because this circuit speaker uses his first and last name, and he publishes his talks on the internet to carry the message.) One day this circuit speaker RS went to an AA meeting with his sponsor and heard an amazing talk. After the meeting, he said he couldn't wait to hear AK talk again. His sponsor said, "You know he's got 6 months to live." RS says, "No, I mean the guy who just spoke." His sponsor said, "Yeah. He's only got 6 months to live. He's got cancer."

RS was dumbstruck. "But he didn't say anything about having cancer." His sponsor says, "Yeah. That's because he's living his purpose. His purpose is to help others. He's not living out of ego, complaining, or looking for pity, etc." From that moment on, RS decided he wanted to be like an AK.

We can chose to accept our fate, continue to seek God's love, guidance, direction, protection, comfort, etc., or we can chose to fight it, be angry, bitter, in self-pity, selfish thinking, etc. Fight or accept. AK made the decision to still get up in the morning, go to an AA meeting, carry the message to still sick and suffering alcoholics, go home, go to sleep, and if his eyes opened the next morning, he'd start his next 24 hours all over again.
I don't know if I can hold it in, to be honest. If I have to hear that God has a perfect plan for our lives, I really want to mention that I have a lump of unknown origin in my body right now, and my perfect plan sure as hell doesn't include having cancer at 38 years old.
God didn't create cancer. Cancer is not of God. God is love. Anything that isn't love is not of God. God doesn't cause suffering and pain. It's not that God's plan is "perfect" in the regard I think you're thinking. It's that He takes the wheel over and controls it. I think it's beyond human understanding.

I'm sure my friend's plan didn't include being told he has weeks to live and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Sometimes people need to think about the audience that's in that room. Not everything works out in everyone's lives, and it's downright painful to have to listen to this sort of thing when you're struggling in your life and you're praying and doing everything you're "supposed" to do.
Recovery doesn't mean life will not have struggles. Praying doesn't make the struggles go away. It just makes it a little bit easier because we're not alone as we continue to jump through the hurdles of life. Recovery doesn't mean we will never get sick, never lose a loved one, never lose a job, or have any sort of problems.

Again, recovery is not about rainbows and bunnies. Life is life. We have to live it as it comes. Just because you pray and do everything you're "supposed" to do, doesn't mean manna is going to fall from heaven. It's just a way to struggle less because we're letting God do His work instead of getting in His way. Let Him figure stuff out. We stay out of the driver's seat. We can't manage our lives, drunk or sober - Step 1. God's a much better manager at our lives than we ever were. That's what this is all about.
Why can't we acknowledge that God's plan for us is NOT perfect, and for some people, includes a whole lot of pain and suffering? Why do we have to feed into the myth of the happy ending?
A perfect plan does not mean we will not have pain and suffering. No one said we're going to have a happy ending in recovery, but that life will be more manageable when we turn to God.

Al Kennedy still got cancer and died from it. But He had the choice to let God handle it, do God's will during it, or to handle it in the way he would've handled it before AA.

Another guy (an out of towner, so I have no idea who he was) said he's "never had a bad day sober." Well, I would certainly consider the day we pulled the plug on my father "a bad day" despite the fact that I was sober as a judge. Again, what kind of message are we sending?
Exactly what is your expectation of recovery?? Never having a bad day sober means we change our perspectives on things. We stop trying to control things. We stay out of our ego and our thinking. That man who said he never had a bad day sober likely means that when life hit him in the face, he practiced acceptance, love, tolerance, and patience. He paused instead of reacting. He turned to God for comfort and guidance. He didn't drink over bad stuff happening.

People get divorces, lose jobs, lose houses, all sorts of things in sobriety. And you've never had a bad day?
Never having a bad day sober does not mean bad stuff doesn't continue to happen. It means our thinking and reactions to the "bad stuff" changes.

I don't understand why there's Ebola or famine or ISIS or wars or mass shootings.
I remember asking my sponsor this same question, and she said this stuff is not from God but from man or just the environment. To reiterate, anything not of love is not of God. Not everyone is doing God's will on this earth.

But there are. I just try to be happy in the moment I'm in, and not to expect a whole hell of a lot, because life is that unpredictable. Maybe I have the wrong attitude, but it's gotten me 14 years of sobriety.
Being happy doesn't mean you walk around smiling from ear to ear and say that "everything is wonderful!!!" That's very unrealistic. Being happy means we live in the moment, we have gratitude for what we DO have (e.g. thanking God for the gift of this person in your life for the friend h/she was), we be there for others (e.g. we help the person or friend who has cancer to help them suffer less), and we turn to God for guidance, support, comfort, love, etc.

Life IS unpredictable. One of the most important lessons I've learned in recovery is to go with the ups and downs of life and stop fighting it, trying to change stuff I can't change, or drinking over it. It doesn't mean I shrug my shoulders and say "oh well!" but it does mean I waste a lot less energy and cause a lot less drama over stuff I can't change. It's all about attitude and how I choose to react over things and people.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm an agnostic and sober 26 years this month. I ignore facile cliches (you hear a lot of them at AA meetings) and keep my focus on today. Letting go of expectations , learning to stop projecting have been a big help. For me, God = group of drunks which works for prayer. My first sponsor warned "AA isn't a hotbed of mental health" (yea, me included!) and I only trust those who have proven their worth.

I certainly understand resentment and, because it's a painful feeling, ask myself "what's my part in this?" My character defects pop right up and the resentment evaporate.

I don't think it's about "happy". For me peace of mind is the big reward.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I don't know. I don't believe that we can just "create" our own HP (this is not to the agnostic but the other poster- I get being agnostic.) To me, there already is one God, and it's the God I've known all my life. The God of the Old Testament, who created fire and plagues and famine and floods, the God who created his son Jesus so he would suffer and die for us all. That's God- that's the way He is. And like the song says, Only God knows why.

So, does God create cancer? In my beliefs, yes. God created the world- good and bad, storms and calm, pain and pleasure. That's where AA goes against my beliefs sometimes. Things are happening for a predetermined reason. This is my friend's path. (Exceptions made for someone who works with asbestos and gets cancer from that, but you get the idea). This is his "cross to bear." In his time of suffering, he can be strong so others can learn from him. But it was sent as a challenge from God. God never promised us life on Earth would be perfect. Hence my issue with someone saying "a perfect plan."

This all came out of me reading the Bible and really feeling and believing in this stuff. If I go in there on Wednesday and they tell me I have cancer, that's my cross to bear. I can be mad, sad, angry, etc. in fact, at one time or another, Jesus himself expressed those emotions in the New Testament.

I just can't turn my back on this HP and choose some new HP like I'm choosing a new phone company or internet provider. This HP is the HP there is, and I need to adjust my thinking to Him, not the other way around. I never agreed with that part of AA. I guess it fits well for someone who has no understanding of a God, but it doesn't work for me.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I don't know. I don't believe that we can just "create" our own HP (this is not to the agnostic but the other poster- I get being agnostic.)
In AA I was taught to just lay to the side everything I thought I knew about God, with an open mind for a new experience. My experience was that after listing on a piece of paper the characteristics I was taught God had, vs the characteristics I'd want in my own conception of God, things started to rapidly change in my recovery.

To me, there already is one God,
Are you saying everyone must agree with your conception of God? Or that you're not willing to be open to thinking of God differently than you were taught in your religion? Remember, 12-step work is not about religion, it is about spirituality.

and it's the God I've known all my life.
In Step 2 I was taught the lay aside prayer; to just gently lay to the side everything I was taught about God, everything I thought about God, and to just have an open mind and willingness to see things differently. This was the mustard seed that got me on my way.

The God of the Old Testament, who created fire and plagues and famine and floods, the God who created his son Jesus so he would suffer and die for us all. That's God- that's the way He is. And like the song says, Only God knows why.
Perhaps this is the God of religion. If that's what you choose to still believe going forward in your recovery, that's your decision. If you want to look at God from a solely negative light, and hold on to your old beliefs, that's your decision. I have since seen it all from a different light and a different angle. Your choice. Not all religious people see God this way. Not all spiritual people see God this way. I have heard people say that God created His son Jesus so that He could create himself in human form, so that humans could better understand Him and His message.

So, does God create cancer? In my beliefs, yes. God created the world- good and bad, storms and calm, pain and pleasure. That's where AA goes against my beliefs sometimes.
No one is telling you what to believe. When I wrote that about cancer, storms, etc I was not speaking for AA! We in AA all have different concepts of God. AA does not tell you what to think or believe about God. It's your own conception. If you want to have a negative conception of God, that's your choice. I just share my experience and having a negative conception of God didn't help my recovery at the time.

Things are happening for a predetermined reason. This is my friend's path. (Exceptions made for someone who works with asbestos and gets cancer from that, but you get the idea).
Why would cancer from asbestos be any different than the cancer your friend has?

This is his "cross to bear." In his time of suffering, he can be strong so others can learn from him. But it was sent as a challenge from God. God never promised us life on Earth would be perfect. Hence my issue with someone saying "a perfect plan."
I've never heard the term "perfect plan", although I've heard "plan". I don't think "perfect" means that everything in life is supposed to be wonderful.

This all came out of me reading the Bible and really feeling and believing in this stuff. If I go in there on Wednesday and they tell me I have cancer, that's my cross to bear. I can be mad, sad, angry, etc. in fact, at one time or another, Jesus himself expressed those emotions in the New Testament.
It's all in how we choose to react to the crappy stuff that happens in life. But I don't think God's doing it to punish us to because He's cruel. But that's just my opinion. Again you are entirely free in AA to have your own conception of God.

I just can't turn my back on this HP and choose some new HP like I'm choosing a new phone company or internet provider.
I seriously don't know what to say to this. That's certainly not what I'm trying to get across here.

This HP is the HP there is, and I need to adjust my thinking to Him, not the other way around. I never agreed with that part of AA. I guess it fits well for someone who has no understanding of a God, but it doesn't work for me.
If you want to hear what I was taught to do, and what I experienced, I will spell it out here:

I came into AA with one conception of God from the religion of my childhood, what I was taught about Him from my parents, etc. It was suggested to me that I put that to the side for now. It was suggested on a piece of paper, I write two columns. In one, I listed all the traits I thought God had. In the second column, I listed all the traits my ideal conception of God would have. This simple task freed me to be on the road to see God in a completely different light. This was Step 2.

It was the foundation I needed to take the remaining steps. This simple task was the mustard seed that completely changed my life. I have experienced God differently, and I see Him differently.

Ten years prior, I was unwilling to even think God had anything to do with my recovery. I was unwilling to read the big book. I was unwilling to see things differently. I went back out, relapsed, and I guess when I returned, I was more willing to have an open mind to what my sponsor was suggesting. When she shared with me how she sees and experiences God now, I was intrigued. I was open to hear more. This was the mustard seed of change that helped me to recover. I'm not recovering, I am recovered. I had a spiritual awakening. That was my experience and that's what I'm sharing here. No one's telling you what to believe.

What you do or think is entirely your decision. AA does not have a monopoly on God. That being said, we recovered members of AA do carry the message by sharing our experience in the hope it'll help others.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Folks...lets remember that we are here to support and help each other, not have personal arguments. Keep that to PM if you must please.
Old 10-09-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

On not having a bad day: sorry. I don't believe there is, or has ever been a human being alive, Jesus Christ included, who has never had a bad day.
LaceyDallas, I think you're misunderstanding some of what the posters have written. In AA, we learn what it means to have a "bad" day. We see that no day is really bad, even if really bad things happen. We're not drinking over the unfortunate events--hence, it's not a bad day.

More so, I don't think it's necessary to perpetuate the myth that people are, or should always be, happy.
No one's said that we "should always be happy." Not at all. There's a huge difference between "we should always be happy" e.g. faking it, versus feeling true joy, peace, contentment, and acceptance. I experienced that when I did my step work.

Trying to always be happy is one thing that lead me into addiction. I had to learn it was okay to be happy. Or sad. Or angry. Or irritable. Or whatever.
I'm sure most people here could say the same thing. We lived in a facade, pretended we were happy, stuffed or drank our feelings down, numbed out, didn't allow ourselves to feel, etc. In my recovery and in therapy I learned to not fear my feelings, and to feel all of them--the negative ones and the positive ones. I now also have tools of what to do with negative feelings so they don't consume me.

I would rather have a newcomer who was an emotional rollercoaster, if that's what he or she was really feeling, than someone who felt that they "had" to be happy every day, because that's what sobriety is about.
Sobriety is so not about being happy every day. It's about peace, serenity, acceptance, letting go, joy, seeing things from a different perspective, reacting to people and life differently, trusting and relying on God, etc.

I believe in being an optimist as much as the next person, but I'm not going to like, or see any positives in my friend's pending death.
Of course there's never any positives about a friend's pending death. I'm sure you will be angry, sad, grieving, depressed but then eventually get to a point of acceptance because there's no other way to be. Your feelings won't change anything.

It turned out really ******, that's exactly how it turned out. I don't have to like it. It's not on par with being miserable as an alcoholic because there's not enough beer or some other first-world problem ruined my day and set me in a foul mood.
Acceptance doesn't mean you like it. Neither is that what AA says to do. It means you've accepted the moment for what it is, without fighting it or drinking over it. If you choose to be in a foul mood, that only hurts yourself and hurts those around you. You can't be of service to others and share God's love. If you're in a foul mood, you might be tempted to drink. If you're in a foul mood, you won't be in a frame of mind where you can cry but at the same time remember happy memories about your friend with gratitude that she was in your life.

I can choose to be happy, and guess what? I can also choose to be sad, because when I was growing up and people died, I wasn't allowed to be sad. Well, I'm allowed to now. I'm going to feel every single thing I feel until I don't feel it anymore, because I don't want to be a sick person for the rest of my life. Stuffing feelings is exactly what got me to where I'm, quite frankly, AT, because alcohol isn't my only problem. I don't feel like spending the next 38 years of my life avoiding any and all feelings.
AA doesn't tell us to avoid our feelings. It's program helps us to not run from them, stuff them down with alcohol, or numb out from them. Also, AA helps us not be ruled by our feelings, either.

I guess that's what bugs me so much about the whole thing. It just feels like it's not okay to feel anything other than gratitude, because the minute you mention anger or resentment in some meetings, some AA person is on you about it.
That's because we in AA know that anger and resentment lead to drinking. And to drink is to die. Perhaps these people are just trying to help you master your anger and resentments like they were taught to do with their 12 step work.

I need to FEEL my feelings. It's perfectly normal to be sad when someone is dying. It's normal to ponder if life is fair when someone has incurable cancer. And, damn it, it's normal to have bad days.
Absolutely feel your feelings. No one's telling you not to. Every day as part of Step 10 and 11, we have the self awareness of when we feel angry, fearful, resentful, selfish, etc. And we have tools of how to resolve them now. I agree with what Tomsteve wrote about "bad days". We in AA think of it differently than you might be. We have to look at if we are just being "spiritually selfish" and wanting the day to go the way we wanted it to go. We want things to go our way, and yet so much in life is out of our control.

My sponsor was extremely close with her mother. She lost her early on in her sobriety. But since she had developed a God consciousness, she was able to seek God for comfort, guidance, and peace during a difficult time. Was it a "bad day" for her? She'd probably say that obviously she was extremely sad over losing her mother, cried a lot, but she didn't drink over it. And she was grateful that she was able to turn to God for His care and protection.

I hope that helps clarify things for you. I know AA's program can sound confusing. It was for me, until I experienced it. Now in hindsight, I understand it a lot better.

I am sorry about your friend.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Folks...lets remember that we are here to support and help each other, not have personal arguments. Keep that to PM if you must please.
I don't see a personal argument? I'm genuinely asking this person, who, btw, is writing helpful responses. We think differently, but I'm not arguing, I'm trying to figure out why he/she thinks that way.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I don't see a personal argument? I'm genuinely asking this person, who, btw, is writing helpful responses. We think differently, but I'm not arguing, I'm trying to figure out why he/she thinks that way.
I'm glad you didn't think it was a personal argument, either. That confused me. I thought exactly like you did early on. I could've written a similar post years ago. I was desperate when I returned to 12 step meetings, so I was finally willing to be open minded. I was fortunate to have a sponsor who helped me see things in a different light. I'm just trying to carry the message and pass along what she helped me to see and experience. :-)
Old 10-09-2017, 11:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Hi Lacey,
I am sorry to hear of your medical problem. At the risk of stating the obvious, the first thing to do is get to the doctor and find out what is going on. I have had two unexplained lumps. One disappeared as fast as it came, the other turned out to be a cyst. I am no expert but I would think the odds are quite good that it will work out. Medicine has made great advances in these areas in recent years.

The guy that has never had a bad day might make more sense of he were to spell out what he means by a bad day. I have had some awful days, awful periods of weeks or months. But they haven’t been bad in the sense that drinking was looking like an option. They have perhaps been bad in the sense that things were not going how I wanted them to.

My internal spiritual condition is what has stayed ok, in spite of everything going on around me. The sense of connection and being on the right track in the way I try to live. It is a faith built through experience, and perhaps the example of others.

There it is.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Everyone (OK, most people) in most meetings I attend seem to say things like, "Everything will work out" or "God has a perfect plan for our lives" or "leave it to your HP, he will take care of it." This has ALWAYS bothered me. Am I alone here, or do things not always work out in other people's lives, even when we pray about them? Just last night, I was discussing something in a meeting, multiple problems, and the person said, it will all work out. BUT WHAT IF THAT'S NOT GOD'S PLAN??? Isn't this all a bit misleading? I mean, one of the issues is a lump of unknown origin in my body. I wouldn't tell someone with a lump, "it will all work out." WHO SAYS THAT???

Aren't we just becoming wildly optimistic here? Isn't it almost irresponsible, at some point, to give vulnerable newcomers the idea that EVERYTHING works out? I mean, I'm smart enough to know it doesn't, but I just don't think this is the message we should be sending. Look around! Las Vegas! Puerto Rico! Houston!

And the elephant in our own rooms: my dear friend, who now has terminal cancer. They have sent him home, because there is nothing more they can do. Well, you say, everyone has to die. Even says so in the Bible. Still, it's tough to hack. Millions of people get treatable cancers every year, but this guy got one that is so rare, there is nothing they can do. It didn't all work out in the end for him. YET NO ONE TALKS ABOUT THIS. Yet people will STILL come to meetings and talk about God's Perfect Plan and how if only you pray, everything will work out.

I don't know if I can hold it in, to be honest. If I have to hear that God has a perfect plan for our lives, I really want to mention that I have a lump of unknown origin in my body right now, and my perfect plan sure as hell doesn't include having cancer at 38 years old. I'm sure my friend's plan didn't include being told he has weeks to live and there's nothing anyone can do about it. Sometimes people need to think about the audience that's in that room. Not everything works out in everyone's lives, and it's downright painful to have to listen to this sort of thing when you're struggling in your life and you're praying and doing everything you're "supposed" to do. Why can't we acknowledge that God's plan for us is NOT perfect, and for some people, includes a whole lot of pain and suffering? Why do we have to feed into the myth of the happy ending?

Another guy (an out of towner, so I have no idea who he was) said he's "never had a bad day sober." Well, I would certainly consider the day we pulled the plug on my father "a bad day" despite the fact that I was sober as a judge. Again, what kind of message are we sending? People get divorces, lose jobs, lose houses, all sorts of things in sobriety. And you've never had a bad day?

I'm not saying my life is miserable, but it is LIFE- it has ups and downs. If I wanted to feel happy all the time, I'd still use. I feel sad, I feel angry, I feel hopeless, I feel happy, I feel joy. It's all part of being human. I pray and things work out. I pray and sometimes things don't work out. I don't understand why there's Ebola or famine or ISIS or wars or mass shootings. But there are. I just try to be happy in the moment I'm in, and not to expect a whole hell of a lot, because life is that unpredictable. Maybe I have the wrong attitude, but it's gotten me 14 years of sobriety.

Right and it can be unhealthy to pretend otherwise. Emotional sobriety is the ability to balance the ups/downs in life.

Nothing wrong with feeling down or upset. The question is how long will I stew in negative until I take some type of action.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:05 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pathwaytofree View Post
I'm glad you didn't think it was a personal argument, either.
That confused me. I thought exactly like you did early on. I could've written a similar post years ago. I was desperate when I returned to 12 step meetings, so I was finally willing to be open minded. I was fortunate to have a sponsor who helped me see things in a different light. I'm just trying to carry the message and pass along what she helped me to see and experience. :-)
]

I'm glad you don't think it's an argument. This has been very helpful.

I guess it wouldn't kill me to see God as merciful at least most of the time.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I don't know. I don't believe that we can just "create" our own HP (this is not to the agnostic but the other poster- I get being agnostic.) To me, there already is one God, and it's the God I've known all my life. The God of the Old Testament, who created fire and plagues and famine and floods, the God who created his son Jesus so he would suffer and die for us all. That's God- that's the way He is. And like the song says, Only God knows why.

So, does God create cancer? In my beliefs, yes. God created the world- good and bad, storms and calm, pain and pleasure. That's where AA goes against my beliefs sometimes. Things are happening for a predetermined reason. This is my friend's path. (Exceptions made for someone who works with asbestos and gets cancer from that, but you get the idea). This is his "cross to bear." In his time of suffering, he can be strong so others can learn from him. But it was sent as a challenge from God. God never promised us life on Earth would be perfect. Hence my issue with someone saying "a perfect plan."

I just can't turn my back on this HP and choose some new HP like I'm choosing a new phone company or internet provider. This HP is the HP there is, and I need to adjust my thinking to Him, not the other way around. I never agreed with that part of AA. I guess it fits well for someone who has no understanding of a God, but it doesn't work for me.
I agree with your assessment of there being one God and that He is the God of the Old and New Testaments.

Interestingly, I came to that conclusion after being in AA for a good while and independently pursuing a relationship with God and as much understanding of Him as i could glean through reading the Bible, taking classes at church, going to daily Mass for a long time, etc.

This is what the 11th Step directs us to do.

And i follow the 11th Step admonition to pray for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry it out.

I think that the notion of finding one's own concept of God is largely for agnostics.

We will all be waiting to hear from you after your doctor visit tomorrow.

We love you and appreciate your open sharing of your thoughts and feelings.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:28 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Thanks. It's like saying I don't accept Donald Trump (or Obama, or Bush, or whomever) as my President, because I don't agree with how he runs things. So, I'm going to write up my own list of the President I want, and follow that. Donald Trump IS the President- this is a fact. I may agree with everything or nothing the man does, but he is the President. That's how I feel about God. God is God- He is the only one there is. I have to either accept God, or just decide I don't want to believe in it at all.

I will be very happy when tomorrow is over. Found out some good news about the house today, so there's that.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
There it is.
Good for that guy, but in all sincerity- today is a bad day. I'm glad I'm sober, I don't think a drink will fix it, I'm better off than a lot of people- but today is a bad day. There's no two ways around it.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:38 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Good for that guy, but in all sincerity- today is a bad day. I'm glad I'm sober, I don't think a drink will fix it, I'm better off than a lot of people- but today is a bad day. There's no two ways around it.

Of course. We all have bad days or go into a funk. It is what makes us human. Anyone who says different is either lying or delusional.

The question for me is how I handle such emotions.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

don't see how you can compare God/ god to a human being.
as far as knowing or accepting " who" god is, we simply do not know.

as far as bad days, oh yes, there are bad days. had a few last week. especially monday, when i phoned the vet to make the appointment to have my beloved dog euthanized. tuesday was pretty bad also, as that was the day we actually walked into the vet clinic, and then i stumbled out alone. wednesday....no picnic.
none of those days relate to drinking, nor did it ever okay to me to do it,or think about it.
but yes, thoroughly bad days.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:12 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I feel like no matter what I write someone will have a problem with it.

There is one President. There is one God. It's simply a fact- when someone says who is the President, the answer is Donald Trump. When Someone says who is God, to me, there is one answer. I can't create my own. I have to go with the existing one.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I feel like no matter what I write someone will have a problem with it.
its gonna happen.

people can have a problem with my preferring pancakes with bacon over sausage.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I feel like people are just splitting hairs at this point.

Went to the doctor. No ultrasound today. I know absolutely nothing more right now than I did yesterday at this time, but I do like the doctor. Smoke and dye test on the house tomorrow morning.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Lacey,

Sorry to hear about your friend and your own pending diagnosis. I agree with alot of what you have said about the seemingly hypocritical nature of some people in the meetings. That's just people - as Redmayne pointed out with his/her excellent classical quotes. These irritations and frustrations have been going on since forever.

I was taught early in recovery to accept my feelings and let them wash over me. Don't resist them, because what we resist will persist. Just be your true and authentic self, be your best self and the rest will sort itself out. Yes, maybe the other people in the group can't handle the emotional depth of your friend's death - that definitely happens in aa. Just because people stop drinking doesn't mean they miraculously become capable of deep emotional connection and honesty. Emotional intimacy takes work and alot of people don't want to to do it. That's why these common platitudes and overwhelming quotes from the big book are so heavily used, many people rely on the well worn path of often quoted thoughts rather than stop and create their own.

What can you do - just accept them as they are and be the best that you can be. I like to feel the a higher power does sort it all out in the end anyway, and that is where I just turn it over and let it go.