Notices

Principles and Suggested Starters...

Old 11-16-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
skg

Principles and Suggested Starters...

At the suggestion of another member here, I put some suggested readings into a 12-Step Principles format. Keep in mind that the steps are in order for a reason, and the principles are to be practiced in that order, as one builds from its predecessor. Some of the titles can easily fit into others, but after reading them I have placed them in the category I believe they fit the best. Your results may differ, and you needn't read ANY of these as you can search for your own titles/spiritual path. I did this because I wanted to understand what the big deal was in the ACTION behind the spiritual principle. I found my relationship (not religion) in the pursuit which is as strong today as when I started this journey. There is no destination, just a determination to understand how to walk with, "His lamp unto my feet."

If you would like a list of The Principles and a quick 'checklist' of questions to ask yourself where you are at any given time, it's posted here somewhere. I'd have to look for it, but I still carry a copy in my wallet today. It will answer the question The ButtMunch (sponsor) used to always ask me: "What part of The Program is not working for you, anyway?"

Keep in mind that these principles are from Alcoholics Anonymous and are the foundation of each of the Twelve Steps. It is my understanding that they are that of EVERY 12-Step program today....

1. HONESTY:
"The Wisdom of Letting Go; The path of the wounded soul"; Leo Booth
“Absolute Surrender,” Andrew Murray, 1897, 2009
“The Victory of Surrender,” Gordon Ferguson, 2003

2. HOPE:
"The Knight in Rusty Armor"; Robert Fisher 1990
"Conversations With God; an Uncommon Dialog"; Neale Donald Walsch 1995
"Getting Better; Inside Alcoholics Anonymous"; Nan Robertson 1988
"Simple Spirituality: Learning to See God in a Broken World"; Christopher L. Heuertz, 2008

3. FAITH:
"Spiritual Quest"; Thomas Hart; 1999
"Essential Spirituality" The 7 Central Practices to Awaken Heart and mind; Roger Walsh, 1999
"Everything Is Spiritual,” DVD, Rob Bell
“I’m Fine With God…It’s Christians I Can’t Stand,” Bruce Bickel, Stan Jantz, 2008.

4. COURAGE:
"Drop The Rock: Removing Character Defects"; Bill P. (Author), et al
"Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames"; Nhat Hanh, Sep 2001
"Man's Search for Meaning," Viktor E. Frankl; 2004
“Trusting God, Even when Life Hurts,” Jerry Bridges, 1988, 2008

5. INTEGRITY:
"The Practice of the Presence of God, and the Spiritual Maxims," Brother Lawrence, 2006 (1895 [1661])
“Mere Christianity,” C.S. Lewis, 1952; 1980
“Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins We Tolerate,” Jerry Bridges, Audio CDs (6), 2007

6. WILLINGNESS:
"Simple Spirituality: Learning to See God in a Broken World"; Christopher L. Heuertz, 2008
“The Dilemma of the Alcoholic Marriage,” Al-Anon Family Groups, 1971
“Let Faith Change Your Life,” Becky Tirabassi, 1997

7. HUMILITY:
“Humility: True Greatness,” C. J. Mahaney, 2005
“Humility: The Journey Toward Holiness,” Andrew Murray 2001
“The Prideful Soul's Guide to Humility,” Thomas Jones, 2003

8. FORGIVENESS/LOVE:
"The Shack," Wm Paul Young; 2007
“The Hiding Place,” Corrie Ten Boom, Elizabeth Sherrill and John Sherrill, 2009
“The Sunflower: On the Possibilities and Limits of Forgiveness,” Simon Wiesenthal,1969
“Night,” Elie Wiesel (Nobel Recipient), 1972
“At The Mind’s Limits: Contemplations by a Survivor on Auschwitz and its Realities,” Jean Amery, 1980
“When Forgiveness Doesn’t Make Sense,” Robert Jeffress, 2000

9. DISCIPLINE:
“Gratefulness, the Heart of Prayer,” Brother David Steindl-Rast, 1984
“Attitudes of Gratitude: “Give and Receive Joy Everyday of Your Life,” M.J. Ryan, 1999
“Listening as a Way of Becoming,” Earl Koile, 1977
“Growing Your Soul: Practical Steps to Increase Your Spirituality,” Neil B. Wiseman, 1996

10. PATIENCE/PERSEVERANCE:
"You Can't Make Me Angry"; Paul O.
“The Way of a Pilgrim and The Pilgrim Continues His Way,” Anonymous Russian peasant, A New Translation, 1978, Helen Bacovcin, Walter J. Ciszek
“Surprised by Grace: God’s Relentless Pursuit of Rebels,” Tullian Tchividjian, 2010, audio

11. AWARENESS:
“The Purpose Driven Life,” (devotional) Rick Warren, 2002
“Andrew Murray on Prayer,” Andrew Murray, 1998
“The Power of the Holy Spirit,” William Law, 1761; Intro by Andrew Murray, 1895
“Experiencing The Holy Spirit,” Andrew Murray (Previously entitled In Search of Spiritual Excellence), 1985.
“How To Be A Christian Without Being Religious,” Fritz Ridenour, 2002

12. SERVICE:
"Tuesdays with Morrie"; Mitch Albom
"Same Kind of Different As Me" Roh All and Denver Moore 2006
“The Freedom of Simplicity,” Richard J. Foster, 1981
“The Naked Gospel,” Andrew Farley, 2009
“Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God’s Will,” Kevin DeYoung, 2009
“The Freedom of Self Forgetfulness,” Timothy Keller, (Kindle)
Old 11-16-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
skg

What Part of the Program Isn't Working?

1. Honesty--Honesty will arrest any situation. Am I being rigorously honest?
2. Hope--Can I rely on previous experience? Is there someone who I can ask?
3. Faith—Doing the same thing expecting the same results. Trusting HP?
4. Courage—Must I suck it up, reach for guidance, and walk through this even though I am afraid?
5. Integrity—Do I need to tell the truth about myself into another’s ears?
6. Willingness—Am I willing to change my perspective? Willing to listen? Am I teachable?
7. Humility—Am I trying to be humble and to learn in order to grow? Can I understand?
8. Love--Is love/forgiveness--giving of myself to another without reward—required? Acceptance is Love.
9. Discipline--Do I need to simply follow through and do the next right thing?
10. Patience—Am I doing the work and leaving the results with HP?
11. Awareness--Asking only for HP's guidance and the will to carry it out? Godsense.
12. Service--Am I doing for others without expectation?
Old 11-16-2016, 04:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Thank-you!!
Old 11-16-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
skg

Forum thread with a suggested application for practicing these principles (12-steps in a Dollar)
Old 11-16-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

the principles the big book talks about are the steps.Nothing can be simpler when followed by the big book
Those things complicate
Old 11-16-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
skg

Originally Posted by Tommyh View Post
the principles the big book talks about are the steps.Nothing can be simpler when followed by the big book
Those things complicate
"A.A. 's Twelve Steps are a group of principles, spiritual in their nature, which, if practiced as a way of life, can expel the obsession to drink and enable the sufferer to become happily and usefully whole." 12&12 Foreword, p.15.
For a boolean mind like mine, following the simplicity of The Principles works. Nuff said.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

SKG, I agree with much of what you have posted but your assertion that the principles need to be practiced "in order" is something I disagree with.

It's generally a good idea that the steps be practiced in order, but even with the steps there are sometimes good reasons for changing up the order a bit (an example might be an opportunity to make an amends that might never present itself in the future). BTW doctor Bob did many of his amends on the afternoon and evening of the morning he had his last drink. I would not recommend anyone attempt this, but it's a fact that he did this.

I think the principles are principles and should be used without regard to any sort of order. For example I was hopeful that AA could help me (hope is a principle involved in step 2 as per your post) but without hope I never would have even attempted to begin to work the steps.

Principles are involved in the steps but these principles are not limited to them. I think it's better to think of the steps as an expression of them. Use the principles any chance you get.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

At some point we need to be disciplined in practicing steps and principles before it becomes a way of life , in my experience after having the spiritual awakening and continuing to try to improve and maintain the awakening , I am experiencing a new freedom in the Fellowship of the Spirit and God is doing for me what I could never do myself . Complete freedom in God in everything , means I am not tied to disciplines or rituals, which is similar to bondage .
That is ''way beyond my wildest dreams ''. I believe I have through Gods help achieved this by total non -dependence on all others, AAs , friends, including family , having no expectations of all others , not depending on others reactions or responses .
God first in everything > No Human Power , being of maximum benefit to others and loving my neighbor . Not putting a ceiling on my spiritual growth , not settling for what I have today , improving conscious contact . To me that is keeping it simple .

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 11-17-2016, 01:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Great thread. I find my self agreeing to one degree or another with every poster. That might be a first
Old 11-17-2016, 01:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Brilliant post! I've noted all the titles down. I'm new to working through the steps and I'm working my way through the AA literature but love to supplement it with extra reading!
Old 11-17-2016, 03:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

read The Language of the Heart for a glimpse into AA history and AA in general
Old 11-17-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great post, SKG!! Thank you!!
Old 11-17-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
skg

I don't want to lead the Newcomer astray: I did the Twelve Steps with an AA sponsor who is still sober to this day. We followed the steps and actions associated with The Principle behind each step. We used ONLY the Big Book. When finished with The Steps he suggested I listen to a "Joe and Charlie" CD, and then I picked up the 12 and 12, followed by his recommended outside reading.

I attend AA so I can live in the world, not hide from it in self-centered delusion that AA meetings are the be-all-end-all. What I have is a daily reprieve, contingent on my spiritual condition that will work if I'll work it. Always in all ways relationship not religion.

Thanks for being part of my sobriety today!