Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism-12 Step Support
Reload this Page >

Attending Women's AA Meetings as a Non-12-Stepper with Three Years of Sobriety

Notices

Attending Women's AA Meetings as a Non-12-Stepper with Three Years of Sobriety

Old 02-27-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Can you call AA central service? Surely they would know?
Old 02-27-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I think I might've found the right church! It's a Methodist church on campus. Tuesdays and Saturdays.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good job J -- I love your persistence. You have great drive!
Old 02-27-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thanks, C.

Yeah, I guess I'm tenacious at times. Always been that way!
Old 02-27-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
~sb

Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 02-27-2016, 10:03 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
It all depends on the particular meeting you attend. Outside of the way AA meetings open they often vary in format, vibe and attendance. I don`t think it`s wise to share right away that you`ve not done the steps yet are confident in your sobriety. You want to feel comfortable and at ease. Say something others might not agree with and you run the risk of upsetting a few members

I recall around the ten year mark I was asked to speak at Pacific Group meeting in Southern Cal. I was a visitor and agreed to do so. Well, about half way through my speech a couple of guys stood up and walked out. My first thoughts were I must be a pretty dull speaker for members to take off. It was after the meeting I learned the reason they left: I spoke about not having a sponsor or having formally worked the 12-steps.

At which point I left upset. My feeling was if the group is so concerned about what a speaker might say perhaps they should vetted me before hand.

In any case that was a one-off experience but I`ve learned to be careful sharing anything which might ruffle anyone's feathers.

I`ll be in a new city for about the next 6 weeks and am looking forward to the meetings. However, I won`t initially share unless asked and if asked I`ll be careful. While I don`t mind discussing some of the more sensitive aspects of AA on-line when I go to a meeting I want to feel comfortable. If the vibe isn`t to my liking I just don`t return.

Good luck with the women`s meetings.
The steps are held quite religiously by some AAs while others,sober for years, may not have touched them. As for people walking out, sometimes it's just for a coffee or smoke. It happens a lot; sort of AA non etiquette.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:20 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I made a phone call to the Methodist church ... and very glad I did. Their schedule isn't up-to-date. (At this point, not surprising, lol.) Women's meetings are held Tuesday evenings now. I finally got my definitive answer. Woohoo!

This has been quite complicated.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I'm going to try this again.

I'm off to the women's meeting at the Methodist church. Will report back!
Old 03-08-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Good luck. It will be interesting to hear how it feels.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Oh my god! Seriously ridiculous... I arrived as women were leaving. The woman told me 6:30. I'll have to go another week before getting into this meeting!

She told me the wrong time.

It was a group of about five women.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Cool

I'm sorry you got incorrect information from the church lady. Perhaps you may try calling AA Intergroup for your area; they may have better, more current info regarding meetings; perhaps even for other women's meetings near you...........I don't know where you live or I would give you some links for phone numbers.............

(o:
Old 03-08-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Seeing as you had the incorrect time, did any of them suggest any alternatives?
Old 03-08-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

It's ok, you guys. I finally found the place. It's just an hour earlier than I was told.
Old 03-08-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Since I've missed this meeting for two weeks now, I think I'll go to the N/S meetings at the Clubhouse. I'll try the one tomorrow, a closed discussion. And on Thursday, there's a N/S closed Big Book meeting. No N/S on Friday, but that's ok, cause I have yoga on Friday. Then, on Saturday, there's a N/S speaker meeting.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Sorry for your troubles. I've had the same issues before. Put a bunch of alkies in charge of something and that kind of stuff tends to happen

Good luck at the meetings.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I placed a phone call weeks ago. They couldn't give me any information on women's meetings, or any other meetings in this area besides the Clubhouse meetings, which I already know about.

Apparently, these extraneous meetings are super-secret, cliques, or for whatever reason, aren't disclosed officially.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I placed a phone call weeks ago. They couldn't give me any information on women's meetings, or any other meetings in this area besides the Clubhouse meetings, which I already know about.

Apparently, these extraneous meetings are super-secret, cliques, or for whatever reason, aren't disclosed officially.
I could also be procrastination or intergroup being far away.
When I started a meeting a couple of years ago I had to go to intergroup and fill out a form and still it was not listed until the next meeting booklet came out (they come out every three months).
Sometimes also, people start a group and just rely on word of mouth and do not bother with intergroup.
Well it has to be a goodie ... you will definitely have to let us know what happens. Been following the saga for a bit now and my curiosity is pricked LOL
Old 03-09-2016, 02:36 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I will, Carlotta. I'm curious, myself.

I called the rehab and they don't have any info on meetings outside of the Clubhouse either.

I think the women's meeting must be word-of-mouth here. Maybe it's for safety reasons.

It's actually located by a safe house where I volunteered a couple of years ago. The two organizations are unrelated but I couldn't help but notice the close proximity.