Notices

Continued

Old 12-03-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Continued

If I had a dollar for every time I heard the cliche saying "it works if you work it", I would have a nice little nest egg. But there is a reason things become "cliche". They speak a truth. I have absolutely no doubt to the validity that the twelve steps of recovery work. They have done for me things far beyond mere sobriety. Things I never would have imagined. Things I never would have asked for. Nor would I have likely wanted them in the beginning of this journey. The incredible - as well as very humbling - thing is these gifts comes to everyone who honestly goes through this work. Regardless of circumstance or background. It truly is open to all. The curious thing is that - as one of my mentors would say - "it works so good we stop doing it".

Complacency is a literal killer. I recently found some areas I had been slacking off in as the result of talking with a friend who was experiencing negative results from doing the same thing. As we talked and actions missing in his recovery became clear for him, they likewise became clear for me in my own life.

God, let me continue to find the willingness and desire to do what works. To continue being willing to look at myself in the mirror of my fellows. And to not let the things our program has brought to me, take me away from the program.