Notices

21 Grams

Old 12-02-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

21 Grams

The first law of thermodynamics tells me that while energy can be transformed from one form to another, it cannot be created nor destroyed. So where does our energy go when the body dies?

In 1907 Dr. Duncan MacDougall conducted experiments to try and quantify how much the soul weighed. He did this by placing the hospital bed of terminally ill patients onto a giant scale having an accuracy to two-tenths of an ounce. At the moment of death, MacDougall observed a weight loss of 21 grams. His experiments have been debated and derided over time. But references to his conclusions have nonetheless found their way into numerous songs, books and film.

I find this relatively insignificant amount of mass attributed to the soul very telling. My total body weight is 150lb's. And it often feels like a proportional battle of David vs Goliath to hear the 21 grams through the 149.9lbs. I have to get very still and quiet. Which is extremely important to do as this is the part of my makeup I wish to center my thoughts and actions around. It means I need to continually seek opportunities to pray and meditate throughout the day.

God, I ask for quiet moments today to establish a conscious contact with that piece of You inside of me. And to live a life based on the intuition found there.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice Prayer !

I heard the late Wayne Dyer talk about the weight of the soul in one of his seminars .

Being sober and at peace lightens the soul in my book .
Old 12-02-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Interesting to me Michael, that the spiritual realm consistently manifests itself in this way. I wouldn't have expected the soul to be measurable with physical means.

One thing I try to remember is that our soul is not limited to time and space. The way you are offering that part of yourself to God, gives him a way to magnify it and use it. Of course, he wants our bodies too.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

One of the really nice thing about AA is, when a member dies, his sobriety lives on among those he has helped, and continues to help still others. That could be worth a few grams