Notices

Just for today

Old 08-07-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just for today

I'll never forget when the understanding of "one day at a time" finally sunk in to me. When I realized that I had sabotaged countless attempts at sobriety because, during rough patches in the process, I would contemplate having to be sober "forever". Which I equated to feeling the way I was right then, rough, forever.

The understanding came when I entered our fellowship and stopped trying to do it on my own. Those of you about me said "you're not going to feel like this forever". "This will get easier and you will one day come to cherish being sober". And "you just have to stay sober for today. Don't worry about tomorrow". As the result, I thus far haven't had occasion to throw the towel in over the future. Over "forever".

Just for today, I choose to be sober. If I want to medicate myself to death tomorrow, the opportunity will always be there. But, for today, I choose sobriety!
Old 08-07-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post, Mike!!

The one day at a time and don't take that first drink is what keeps me sober, along with daily meetings and daily readings, service work a couple times a week..

I'm like you, I might have a beer some time down the road but I'm not having one today.. I don't miss that crap AT all!! Have a great weekend!!
Old 08-07-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The corollary to one day at a time I have found is first things first.

When I need to break that day down into bite sized pieces, when 24 hours a seems insurmountable - First Things First gives me the opportunity to chew what I'm trying to eat.

Thanks for the post......