Notices

Interesting Meeting today....

Old 03-17-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Interesting Meeting today....

Today a gent with 51 years picked up a chip!!! Wow..... Another member with 23 years picked up a chip yesterday. The 23 year gent commented today he had never seen anyone pick up a chip with this much time. Kind of puts it in perspective.

A woman shared at the meeting today that she had relapsed after 17 years of sobriety. She's been back out since last August. Very remorseful.......tough to see.

Also a newcomer picked up a 24 hour chip.

If a meeting can get any better than that, I'm not sure how......
Kind of demonstrates to me a power greater than myself.

keep coming back
Old 03-17-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow 51 years that's just amazing!!! I feel the lady's pain with 17 years well somewhat having had four years sober and relapsed. The longest I've gone since then is 4.5 months then relapsed in and out in and out well I drank the last three days I could go out for saint pattys but instead I'm gonna go to a big book meeting. I feel relieved already
Old 03-18-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by dsmaxis10 View Post
Wow 51 years that's just amazing!!! I feel the lady's pain with 17 years well somewhat having had four years sober and relapsed. The longest I've gone since then is 4.5 months then relapsed in and out in and out well I drank the last three days I could go out for saint pattys but instead I'm gonna go to a big book meeting. I feel relieved already
I hope your meeting went well and you've made a decision to stop drinking!
Glad you're back and here with us!
Old 03-18-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love it when I get to be a part of one of those meetings. Gives you shivers. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Timely reminder that no matter how long we go without a drink it only takes one to put us back where we were.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Thank you so much for posting that Flynbuy
Old 03-18-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dsmaxis

it really helps me when people remind me through sharing their relapse stories not to rest on my laurels and that sobriety is a daily thing and not to be taken for granted. I wish you all the best in getting back on the wagon. Would you like to share why it is so difficult for you, did the relapses weaken your resolve and undermine your confidence in being able to remain sober.
Flynbuy did the women of 17 years tell you why she relapsed after such a long time?

CaiHong
Old 03-19-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I remember a guy in my home town that had 50 some years. I could be mistaken. He had at least 40 some years for sure. He was a WWII vet who got sober in the 1950s so he probably had 50 years or more.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by CaiHong View Post
Dsmaxis

it really helps me when people remind me through sharing their relapse stories not to rest on my laurels and that sobriety is a daily thing and not to be taken for granted. I wish you all the best in getting back on the wagon. Would you like to share why it is so difficult for you, did the relapses weaken your resolve and undermine your confidence in being able to remain sober.
Flynbuy did the women of 17 years tell you why she relapsed after such a long time?

CaiHong
Her initial explanations are similar to many we here - stopped going to meetings, stopped reading, stopped prayer & meditation. I think complacency and perhaps an I'm cured attitude play in to it as well.

Yesterday the woman picked up another 24 hr chip. I can learn a lot from her, no doubt.