Notices

Attraction v Promotion

Old 02-25-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
skg

Attraction v Promotion

When I was in "my cups" I lived a thousand lives in my head without ever leaving the garage. I lived in a world of fantasy--of my own making--and was more than delighted to share my thinking with you.

Guys in my homegroup called that Stinking Thinking, as I would learn, and I would also learn that spending time in my head was just another form of selfish self-absorption. If I were to recover, it would have to take actions instead of ideas to change my thinking rather than thinking or talking about recovery and hoping it would stick.

The primary stumbler in most individual on-line recoveries seems to be the insistence to pontificate opinion of thought rather than share experience of results. I have learned in AA that I hide behind my opinion; I stand behind my results.

The difference is principles, not personalities as viewed from here. As with advertising, personality only serves to emphasize the ME in MESSage. Attraction rather than promotion means something to today--even in cyberspace.

So if you're new, keep coming back. This is a Twelve Step Support forum so God's gonna come up. So is Honesty, Hope, Faith, Courage--all those principles that define a successful path to a new way of living in spiritual harmony. Thoughts are free and talk is cheap, but experience is invaluable in recovery. It only makes sense AFTER you DO it...

It works if you work it... It's the 'how' part of staying sober...
Old 02-25-2015, 11:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It only makes sense AFTER you DO it...

That was my experience. I can't argue with anything you have written
Old 02-26-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

[QUOTE=skg;5223883]
The primary stumbler in most individual on-line recoveries seems to be the insistence to pontificate opinion of thought rather than share experience of results.
QUOTE]

Tacit Knowledge is the term I liken to this......

"With tacit knowledge, people are not often aware of the knowledge they possess or how it can be valuable to others. Effective transfer of tacit knowledge generally requires extensive personal contact, regular interaction and trust. This kind of knowledge can only be revealed through practice in a particular context and transmitted through social networks. To some extent it is "captured" when the knowledge holder joins a network or a community of practice."