Notices

Being true

Old 01-23-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being true

"To thine own self be true". That's what it says on the coin in my pocket. And what has been burned into my heart and imprinted onto my mind. It has uncovered a conscience long buried under the rubble of my former solution to that problem called "life".

I cannot claim to be 100% true to self. Few throughout history could make such a claim. And those who could, would be enlightened enough not to. But whether I want them to or not, all of my activities today do flow through this filter. Albeit sometimes in hindsight, which is why we have step 10.

This filter can be rather inconvenient when I'm looking to angle a situation to benefit myself. Or shirk a commitment or responsibility through rational-lies. But the end result of following the principle is undeniable. I can sleep at night.

The truth shall set you free. Indeed.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
"To thine own self be true". That's what it says on the coin in my pocket. And what has been burned into my heart and imprinted onto my mind. It has uncovered a conscience long buried under the rubble of my former solution to that problem called "life".

I cannot claim to be 100% true to self. Few throughout history could make such a claim. And those who could, would be enlightened enough not to. But whether I want them to or not, all of my activities today do flow through this filter. Albeit sometimes in hindsight, which is why we have step 10.

This filter can be rather inconvenient when I'm looking to angle a situation to benefit myself. Or shirk a commitment or responsibility through rational-lies. But the end result of following the principle is undeniable. I can sleep at night.

The truth shall set you free. Indeed.
Yes, that's too easily forgotten, sometimes when we're so busy trying to be true to someone or something else - even for good and "selfless" reasons. So, the flip side to rationalization and shirking can be to use "selflessness" to avoid looking at what it even means to be true to my self. And, to do that, I need to look hard (even ruthlessly) at who I am, how I think and act - to find out who that self is, to whom I must be true. We share a common ailment, not a common self; we're not clones, and so - despite some good mirroring we can find in others - we need to search within.

You know, I heard people say that at meetings, but I thought it was just their philosophy. I never took real notice of it on my 1st coin, but did on the 2nd (60 days, last week). Some synchronicity to just see this post. It now becomes my meditation. Thanks.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Whoops, I commented this thread by accident but luckily its another good one!

Thanks
Old 01-24-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My wife just read this to me (by Carl Jung):

"One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. "
Old 01-24-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

yes;
and at first it seems to contradict much in other parts of the program.
until i put it together with "unsuspected inner resource".
Old 01-24-2015, 11:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

I often think of the Authentic Self versus the False Self. Much has been said about Authentic Self, which to me is the self that is shed away from ego and who we are most meant to be. It is almost always coated by the False Self, the one shellacked with ego and pride. I lived my life guided by False Self, which directed me into poor thoughts and judgement. Alcoholism certainly fit into that mould. The 12 steps has guided me and continues to guide me to Authentic Self, anchored by the care of my HP. The more I shed in terms of old stories and ways of thinking / perceptions, the closer I get to Authentic Self. It's not an overnight matter for me, but the more I stay in conscious contact and take heed to His word, the more I am apt to stay and act out of Authentic Self. And that beats the old way any time
Old 01-24-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Paul's comment reminds me of a story along those lines which I've always been fond of. And I'm sure many have already heard it. It's Native American take but could well be Taoist, Buddhist, Hindu, or even Christian Mysticism.

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.
He said, “My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all. "One is Evil – It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.
“The other is Good – It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: “Which wolf wins?”
The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”
Old 01-24-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

The two wolves story was originally written by Billy Graham but was twisted around to be more exotic. Check the tag on that “Indian” story. | âpihtawikosisân
Old 01-24-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

From Hamlet, of course - for me the full quote tells the story. Kind of like the long form of the serenity prayer holds deeper meaning

This above all: to thine own self be true,
And it must follow, as the night the day,
Thou canst not then be false to any man.
Farewell, my blessing season this in thee!
Old 01-24-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzfish View Post
The two wolves story was originally written by Billy Graham but was twisted around to be more exotic. Check the tag on that “Indian” story. | âpihtawikosisân
Interesting. Thanks for the link.