Notices

Common Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Common Thread

The other day I sat in a meeting downtown and watched a woman pickup a six year chip. She told a little bit about her story in the beginning and it was heart wrenching. Among other things, she mentioned that when she came into the program, and some people there took her to eat, it was the first real meal she had had in two weeks. She was living on the street. Destitute in every form. Though today she is employed, with home, and sober. A shining testament to the program.

Sitting right next to her at the meeting was one of the most wealthy people in the city. Probably in the state. Both sharing a common problem. And common solution. Something I find incredibly humbling. And one of many examples I am eternally grateful for. These examples have given me the ability to stop looking down on those below my financial standing. And looking up to those above it. Realizing that material existence is ephemeral and man made. Bringing me one step closer to the truth that we are all equal. We are all one. We are all in this journey together.

Our disease knows no borders. Neither does our solution.
Old 01-10-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

very inspiring ..and true!
Old 01-10-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

We are people who normally would not mix. But there exists among us a fellowship, a friendliness, and an understanding which is indescribably wonderful. We are like the passengers of a great liner the moment after rescue from shipwreck when camaraderie, joyousness and democracy pervade the vessel from steerage to Captain's table.
(page 17)
Old 01-10-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
We are people who normally would not mix. But there exists among us a fellowship, a friendliness, and an understanding which is indescribably wonderful. We are like the passengers of a great liner the moment after rescue from shipwreck when camaraderie, joyousness and democracy pervade the vessel from steerage to Captain's table. (page 17)
How true it is.