Notices

I went to a meeting last night

Old 03-13-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I went to a meeting last night

This isn't really 12-step support, but it is AA and really don't know where else to post it. Please know that I'm not trying to get under anyone's skin.

It has been a long time for me since I've been in a meeting. I guess poking around this section and reading a bit about Dr. Bob (thanks Aw) got me thinking about spending some time with others like me, in person. And let tell you it was a comfort to sit for a hour with some members of my tribe, just looking at them and them at me it felt like I knew them in a way. A few there remember me from over 3 years ago! That is hard to fathom because I didn't attend for that long and I never said anything at all while I was there. I just sat and listened.

It was a crowded meeting, an As Bill Sees It 12-12 format. A few spoke of a spiritual solution, some spoke of problems in their lives, and most spoke of being grateful for their sobriety. I'm grateful for mine as well. It is funny how we all seem to get along in person . . .

There were a few people there that were still shaky and jittery, I sure remember feeling that way. I put my hand out and greeted one. I told him he didn't have to feel this way again. He looked like he might cry. I was him a few years ago. Anyway, I hope that he finds a way out. I hope they all do.

Have a good day friends.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Well if that's not 12 step support I don't know what is. I see it as experience, strength and hope. Nothing less.

Frankly, I'm very pleased that you liked Dr. Bobs article. I'm very fond of it as well. The only other thing I like more is Carl Jung's letter to Bill W.

Keep an open mind. It will serve you well, and thanks for your post. You made me smile.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Randummy

I went to my first AA meeting on Tuesday and I've attended my third one this afternoon. Each meeting has felt totally different to me so far and I feel very grateful to have finally found my way to the 12-step support. Just feeling like I'm part of a community of people with a common goal is amazing. Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed reading your words.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was helped by the feeling that "it's good to be among people who understand me."

BE WELL
Old 03-13-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
This isn't really 12-step support, but it is AA and really don't know where else to post it. Please know that I'm not trying to get under anyone's skin.

It has been a long time for me since I've been in a meeting. I guess poking around this section and reading a bit about Dr. Bob (thanks Aw) got me thinking about spending some time with others like me, in person. And let tell you it was a comfort to sit for a hour with some members of my tribe, just looking at them and them at me it felt like I knew them in a way. A few there remember me from over 3 years ago! That is hard to fathom because I didn't attend for that long and I never said anything at all while I was there. I just sat and listened.

It was a crowded meeting, an As Bill Sees It 12-12 format. A few spoke of a spiritual solution, some spoke of problems in their lives, and most spoke of being grateful for their sobriety. I'm grateful for mine as well. It is funny how we all seem to get along in person . . .

There were a few people there that were still shaky and jittery, I sure remember feeling that way. I put my hand out and greeted one. I told him he didn't have to feel this way again. He looked like he might cry. I was him a few years ago. Anyway, I hope that he finds a way out. I hope they all do.

Have a good day friends.
Gratitude is action, a verb.