Notices

Daily Reflections 3/09/14 -- Surrendering Self-Will

Old 03-09-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow Daily Reflections 3/09/14 -- Surrendering Self-Will

*~*~*~*~*^Daily Reflections^*~*~*~*~*

SURRENDERING SELF-WILL

Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

TWELVE STEPS AND TWELVE TRADITIONS, p. 34

No matter how much one wishes to try, exactly how can one turn his own will and his own life over to the care of whatever God he thinks there is? In my search for the answer to this question, I became aware of the wisdom with which it was written: that this is a two-part Step.

I could see many times where I should have died, or at least been injured, during my previous style of living, and it never happened. Someone, or something, was looking after me. I choose to believe my life has always been in God's care. He alone controls the number of days I will be granted until physical death.

The matter of will (self-will or God's will) is the more difficult part of the Step for me. It is only when I have experienced enough emotional pain, through failed attempts to fix myself, that I become willing to surrender to God's will for my life. Surrender is like the calm after the storm. When my will is in line with God's will for me, there is peace within.

Copyright 1990 ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS WORLD SERVICES, INC.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

"When my will is in line with God's will"

Emphasis in the above quote is mine. This is exactly how I think of it. I don't give up my will, rather I use principles to guide it. Then I seek to find creative ways of expressing it.

Thanks for your service TL.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for this. I can very clearly recount five times that I should have been dead in the last 25 years but for what I now see as Gods grace.
I can't count the number of times I've stuffed up because is self will.
So yes I believe my higher power is looking out for me and loves me enough to grant that I should have free will.
Though I now choose daily to turn it over.