*~*~*~*~*^ Big Book Quote ^*~*~*~*~*

"Step Eleven suggests prayer and meditation. We shouldn't be shy
on this matter of prayer. Better men than we are using it constantly."

Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, Into Action, pg. 85
Old 01-07-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Better men than we are using it constantly."
I am pretty sure that there are millions of better men than you and I are Lili LOL
Seriously, thank you for posting. I have noticed that if I do not take half an hour when I start my day to sit quietly and meditate, I am a little off and my day tends to go South.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know lol. I used to be bothered by the 'sexist' language in the book. Now I don't even notice it.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have a hard time keeping still for 5 minutes, let alone 30 these days. I used to teach meditation but I stopped because it's hard to meditate when you're drunk.

I rearranged my apartment yesterday so I now have a small corner dedicated to meditation.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think the line better reflects an another era but it also still applies today. I'd never go to work and tell the blokes here I pray and meditate daily. It's a personal thing and at best I'd get laughed at worst Id be treated with silent scorn. A lot of blokes view prayer as wimpy thing to do and people who mediate as all pot smoking hippies or Democrats.
The BB tells it as it is. Average Joe doesn't meditate and only prays for his team to win in the finals or for his luck to change. The BB reminds me that hard men also pray and meditate. In fact it's what gives these men their strength. As for the skeptics out there all I can say is "don't knock what you're missing". It's as free as air and it's worth more than a ton of gold.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I often reflect that what was called 'meditation' in the 40's and 50's is more what is would considered 'contemplation'. When we say 'meditation' these days, most people take it to mean something quite different than they did in the 40's, and possibly connect it with buddhism or new age philosophy. Neither is a wrong apporach. There's numerous types of meditation that are beneficial, but it's also true that some forms of meditation are not suited to people living normal, western lives rather than reclusive, religious lives.