Notices

AA cult watch... hmmm....

Old 06-06-2013, 07:07 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

In NA we focus on the disease of addiction, doesn't matter what the substance was, the solution is the same. The 12 steps.

At the start of every meeting we read literature that states we believe we must refrain from all drug use and alcohol is a drug.

In the NA groups I have been part of, we asked people to not mention specific drugs and the feelings they get etc so as not to trigger others. We encourage people to share recovery, not using/addiction.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:06 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  

A few spinoffs in the early days of AA
There is a town in upstate NY named "Hankins" which has historical significance.
Then of course there's Jimmy whom wrote "WE DO RECOVER"
The midnite group seems to be going rogue.... mentioning their corporation in the meeting format.
Language of the Heart has a whole chapter on clubhouses, maybe someone should read this......
Old 04-12-2016, 01:15 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  

In the original grey book approval draft (NA) specific drug use is mentioned, it was understood that people needed to identify. I've heard people say that their drug of choice was JUST the last drug they wound up using, it just doesn't have the power behind it.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:03 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

The Oxford Group tried to cover all bases for all people for all things, and it didn't last long (well, there were other reasons for their demise too). Bill W saw the idea for singleness of purpose in this and broke away from Oxford, but used their initial principles. He recognized the importance of alcoholics working with alcoholics only.*
My understanding is the Oxford groups are still around, called Moral Rearmament, working political influence around the world. I sense they are trying to 'hurry' or 'force' the would-be 'fruits of conversion'.

I believe I read that is also where the Back to Basics Wally World style 'AA beginners meetings' have come from, in fact the last living Oxford groupee who knew Bill W. who sells his 'old style improvements' into prisons etc.

I was brought to one such 'beginners induction' by someone well meaning trying to 'save' me, but I found it had all the depth and understanding of a Walmart pep rally. Mass production of 'sobriety'. Dunno. They really seemed to like it. I didn't go back.

I had already read the big book, and got the impression a new life would be between me and my creator.

Also the impression I have is that Bill bailed from Oxford because we alcoholics choke half to death on things like 'absolute purity', surely no would be pulpit master was gonna tell him what to smoke or who to hold hands with!

Drinkers, gotta love em We outthink and outargue our own damn selves, even outlive Jesus and outrun the very devil besides lol! Sheet we could *own* this world! lolol If we could keep a job lol
Old 04-12-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi Cairn Bill W after getting sober via the Oxford tried for quite a while by putting over the principles he learned in the Oxford meetings and was getting nowhere , he complained to Dr Silkworth who said '' Bill stop preaching to them '' and he learned much from that .
Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 04-12-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Great topic, Joe!

You filled the room today.. Good stuff! Glad to see all the faces even the ones with their feathers ruffled..
Old 05-09-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Clancy is just an alcoholic. He's not perfect whatever that is. Calm down anti PC folks. It's ok to ask questions about stuff. Anytime someone calls something out as racist or sexist or whatever here come these stuck in the mud types screaming about stuff being PC. Hey guys, there is stuff that is genuinely f--ed up. It's good to call it out.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun in PG. it really helped me. I also needed to move on and find a less rigid community. PG is like rehab or AA boot camp.

Never heard Clancy say anything about Jesus but who knows. Whatever. Just don't try to make me believe in it.

AA is about as cultish as sports fans are. Except we don't wear uniforms like those hats and Jerseys everyone wears to games.

As my sponsor says: Clean house, trust God, help others.

BTW, my God is reality.

Originally Posted by CousinA View Post
It's good I'm on my way to a speaking commitment so my next contribution may come from a place of love, compassion, kindness and justice ;-)

I have friends who got and are staying sober in the Pacific and Atlantic Groups but I have serious issues with them and Clancy.

Anyway.... off to service for me.

-allan
Old 05-09-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Friend of Jimmy B

My post that you quoted was three years ago when I was on my way to a speaking commitment. Now I'm on my way to work. Whatever bug I had up my butt about Clancy or the PG at that moment has long been forgotten. Like my friend once said "this step crap really works".

I gotta go now.

-allan

Originally Posted by Pressmetilihurt View Post

Anyway, I had a lot of fun in PG. it really helped me. I also needed to move on and find a less rigid community. PG is like rehab or AA boot camp.

Never heard Clancy say anything about Jesus but who knows. Whatever. Just don't try to make me believe in it.

AA is about as cultish as sports fans are. Except we don't wear uniforms like those hats and Jerseys everyone wears to games.

As my sponsor says: Clean house, trust God, help others.

BTW, my God is reality.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CousinA View Post
My post that you quoted was three years ago when I was on my way to a speaking commitment. Now I'm on my way to work. Whatever bug I had up my butt about Clancy or the PG at that moment has long been forgotten. Like my friend once said "this step crap really works".

I gotta go now.

-allan
Ditto .
Old 05-22-2016, 10:47 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Clancy was in AA long before all the PC BS came about. Back then, people used to be able to laugh at themselves. Now, not so much. One of my favorite people in AA is a friend of my wife's whose in the program. I frequently refer to her as my "favorite Jew." We laugh about it which is something I'd suggest you find out how to do.

AA talks about finding a higher power....call it God, Buddah, or even Jesus. If that offends you, don't listen. By the way, Jesus was a Jew and I spend some of my own time with him. Knowing my history and He being accepting of me definately shows He has a sense of humor. Laughing at ourselves is a gift that comes from being sober and not taking life or myself so seriously. Try it you might like it.
PC isn't ********. It's just trying to support people who can't figure out how not to be bigots. If that's so damn hard for you that's a serious problem you got. As for Clancy, I was in his group. It was the first time I felt at home in AA. We laughed hard and played hard. I've heard Clancy say stuff I didn't agree with. I would definitely tell someone who didn't like his message to keep looking. I must say his pitch explained what alcoholism was in a way I could connect with. Even with my disagreements I have huge appreciation for his commitment and work. He's helped ALOT of people.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:19 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Never met Clancy but am friends with a couple of members who were once members of the Pacific group

I didn't dig to deep but one of the fellows was quite upset with the power trip sponsors pulled on those new. There was also some weirdness about his sponsor hitting on someone's wife.

The other guy I know is still a big believer in how the Pacific group does things. Unfortunately he's been in and out of AA after a decade of sobriety.

There's a lot of controversy surrounding the Pacific group.

But no doubt it's quite popular too.