Notices

Passing it On ...Lineage and Love

Old 05-28-2013, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Passing it On ...Lineage and Love

I was meeting up with a sponsee at a nearby coffee shop. I was in line to buy a coffee when I looked behind me, and just a few people further down, I saw my grandsponsor - my sponsor's sponsor. I went over to say hi and to talk a bit. I told him that I was meeting someone there and that it was great to see him, as I don't see him often. His phone then rang, and he said, "speaking of, it's my sponsor" and then he excused himself to continue his own call. I paid for my coffee and was going to sit with my sponsee when my phone rang it it was my sponsor calling. It gave me goosebumps.

A day like that doesn't happen often - a sort of meeting, if you will, of the sponsorship thread that surrounds me and that I am a proud part of. A lining up of the lineage, displayed in a showcase of love, compassion and of carrying of the message. It was a microcosm of what we do in this program, what we do to help save each other's lives. A commitment to our program, to the other men and women who cross our paths for a reason, to ensuring the life and growth of the fellowship and of AA as a whole. It was a snapshot of the continuing line that roughly started with the spark of Ebby and Bill and was fanned and brightened and has been kept as a slow, long burn with every single moment one alcoholic works with another alcoholic.

I guess this is a gratitude post. Nothing deep or new. Nothing that we don't already know that works. It was a reminder to me that what I have is not something that is meant to be kept stowed away under lock and key. It is to be given away, handed out, doled out piece by piece to the still suffering alcoholic out there, in and out of the rooms. It is not mine to hoard, to squirrel away in a trunk. Because if I don't give it away, it withers away. It turns to dust. Seeing the men in my life, hearing them on the phone, feeling that connection...it was very powerful and showed me yet again how we have been given His Grace for a reason. To extend ourselves to others.

And that's all it is for me now. When I get into a funk or don't feel centered, I need to make a call. I need to see how someone else is doing. I need to seek counsel with an old timer or AA friend. I need to talk to a newcomer. I no longer have the excuses I used to have. It's just that simple - being there for someone else.

I am going to be giving that same sponsee his one year medallion in a few weeks. My sponsor is going to be there. His sponsor too. Some old timers I know. My wife. My sponsees family. It's going to be great. I am going to do my best to keep from blubbering like a fool. And if amidst the good cheer, the funny and somber words, the camaraderie, one person in the back row sees that it is possible to get well, to see that life can be seen in a new light, that there is so much possibility out there...then it will be just one more person who can too be another part of the line.

The lineage continues. As it should...as it needs to. And I can't wait to see how far and long this thing goes before it's my time to leave. It's a blessing to be doing this.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing! Very cool!!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's cool when the family gets together...I am packing as we speak to travel with my sponsor to see his sponsor at a "reunion" type deal. Each time this year the "family" gets together and a large group of this lineage meet up for several days of sharing. This year one of my sponsees was supposed to tag along too but bailed at the last minute. Either way it's a blast, my sponsor, my sponsor's sponsor, and my sponsor's sponsor's sponsor

Last year I got to hold the camera and take pictures lol...clearly I was insulted as someone as spiritual as me should be doing much more important things. This year I got promoted to locating the rental car at the airport and driving folks around...I was all excited about the promotion until I realized that sounds way more complicated than pushing the button on the camera or like some of the guys with just a couple months were doing in making name tags.

It sure is neat to look around during a meeting and see descendants(sponsees, grandsponsees, etc...)....it's like wow, some one as useless as me was able to be othercentered just long enough to pass this along to the next and the next....
Old 05-28-2013, 11:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thankyou Paul. I love the idea of 'generations' of sponsors meeting together.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Serenity NOW!!

Thanks for sharing Paul. I had a similar experience last weekend at the little league baseball fields. I ran into a woman from my Weds women's meeting, and we talked for a bit when we realized that a newcomer we both know was coaching opposite my daughters' team. I went to the snack bar for a bottle of water and lo and behold, one of my favorite meeting leaders is working the snack shack! I call these moments "God Smacks" and get chills every time I realize that he is putting these people in my path for a reason.
Good stuff!
Amy
Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Beautiful post Paul - thank you! It reminds me to get off my arse a lot more than I do...
Old 05-29-2013, 08:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Truly an A-Ha! moment...great story, great work. This is what it is all about.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

What a wonderful post, a reminder of how much we have to be grateful for - thanks, Paul!