*~*~*~*~*^ BigBookQuote^*~*~*~*~*

"When you discover a prospect for Alcoholics Anonymous, find out all
you can about him. If he does not want to stop drinking, don't
waste time trying to persuade him. You may spoil a later opportunity."

~ Alcoholics Anonymous 1st Edition Working With Others pg. 90~
c Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, INC
Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Seems this is a lesson which everyone who has learned it, has done so the hard way. I know Ive wasted some valuable time on folks who were half heartedly attempting the program in an effort to get out of trouble.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

last night I met up with a very good friends daughter and her husband, I have known her since she was 6 years old. A while back her mother emailed me, concerned about her drinking.

Yesterday I was with them most of the day and she was drinking and smoking like I used to. They know Imhave stopped and I am in AA. They talked about different family me,bets and friends that were drinking heavily or using.
I basically just said if the person doesn't see the problem, it's hard to help them. At the same time I was thinking, my daughters friend does have a problem with alcohol and it's at the root of her problems. How can I help her while she is her for another week. I really love this young woman, she is a great person she is also taking Zoloft.
her aunt has been in AA for 10 years. When she spoke about AA she said but isn't about believing in God.
I said ultimately its a spiritual program. I am sober and my life has become manageable and I am relatively happy through the support of AA and SR..
I want her to come away with at least the seed planted in her mind that there is another way. Drinking is only making her life worse.
Any suggestions?
caiHong
Old 04-26-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

AA is a program for people who want it. There are unfortunately many who need to recover but do not want to. It is better to attract the prospect to the AA solution rather than waste our time with promotion. Timing our approach to reach the prospect when the desire to stop drinking is likely to be the strongest is a good plan. After a binge alcoholics many times regret their actions and truly wish they had the power to stop drinking altogether. This is one of the best times to approach them with the promise of a real solution. The key is that they must want to quit drinking. The best thing I can do is be an example of what a sober life has to offer.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I just ask people do you have a desire to get sober? Yes i sponsor ypu. No, i do not sponsor you. Pretty simplde.