Notices

What do you think about court sheets?

Old 04-23-2004, 06:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you think about court sheets?

Hello All, What do you think about people with court sheets? I have one from my therapist, but haven't been actually ordered yet by the court. I really love AA. And I really want to be at the meetings. At a new meeting I started going to, almost no one has sheets. I feel really embarrased having to ask someone to sign my sheet...
Old 04-23-2004, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RE-member- DONT QUIT!

Re: What do you think about court sheets?

I feel you on that one marty. I'm on house arrest, I had to beg my PO to give me time off my braclet so I could attend meetings. she finally agreed but requires me to get signatures. I'm the only one in the meeting i go to with a sheet. At first it was very uncomfortable to me, and I would say "I'm not forced to come here it was my choice" and I would get response like "even if you are ordered to come it's ok" like they didn't believe me or something. lately though I've learned to just let that go. I know why I'm there and thats what's important. don't let it discourage you.
take-care
mike
Old 04-23-2004, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY MARTY,GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU.SOBRIETY IS THE GOAL.THE MEETINGS I GO TO HAVE PLENTY OF PEOPLE WITH COURT SHEETS,I PESONALLY HAVENT SEEN A PROBLEM.I'VE HEARD ALOT OF GOOD THINGS FROM THEM.SOMEBODY MIGHT STAY SOBER BY HEARING WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY,IT WOULD BE A SHAME IF THEY NEVER HEARD IT.IF SOMEBODY DOSN'T LIKE IT WELL THATS ON THEM MARTY.STAY STRONG ONE MARTY! ted
Old 04-23-2004, 08:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yo marty
we're willing to go to any lengths...and i have seen long term , incredible folk in recovery who began with gettin' their signatures. Besides, who in this wacko outfit is really gonna decide I'M the SICKEST!
mackat
Old 04-23-2004, 09:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

my ex sponsor pointed out that ppl coming in thru the courts often stay the duration. that it changes their lives.

so when i see those court slips, it doesn't bother me in a bit.

also, you can usually tell by a person's demeanor whether or not s/he wants to be there.

so don't sweat it!
Old 04-24-2004, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Some of my best friends are court appointed alcoholics. It doesn't matter how you got here.

SeattleDoc
Old 04-24-2004, 11:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dan

Besides, who in this wacko outfit is really gonna decide I'M the SICKEST!
Sums it up for me. The important thing is that you're in the room. Not how you got there Marty.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your posts. I also let my my embarrassment out when I shared at my meeting tonight. Everyone was also very supportful. After the meeting, I was asked by another member to sign his sheet. That felt really good. Its theese little things right now that really make me happy. I love this fellowship!
Old 04-24-2004, 06:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dan

Yeah baby! The little things. First thing you know they add up. Then, you're not only happy, but you're also starting to feel a little bit joyous. Down the road a bit, you're gonna find another bunch of little things and then BANG! On top of the happy and the joyous, you're gonna be free. I can feel you feelin' good right now man!
Old 04-24-2004, 07:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This has been discussed in other groups I participate in with many different viewpoints. When I first got to recovery I actually felt that I didn't belong because I didn't get a "nudge from the judge." Today I know it doesn't matter how you got here, what does matter is that you ARE here! The only time I feel it is an issue is when people come to the last few minutes of a meeting only to get the card signed. If I'm the chairperson for that meeting, the cards only get signed if the card holder was at all, or nearly all, of the meeting.

I know a lot of people in the fellowship with awesome recovery that thank the justice system for getting them into the rooms of recovery.
Old 04-25-2004, 09:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was first sent to AA by the judge, with one of those sheets, I didn't want to be there at the time, but it did plant a seed, and 20 years later when I was done drinking and had tried every easier softer way to quit, I knew were to go.
Old 04-25-2004, 01:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hello, i dont attend AA, but i go to NA once in awhile. it never crossed my mind to think badly about those who come with a court slip. i like to remember the days i came to NA and sat outside jacked and smoking cigs. i try not to think about the other people there when i go. its not about them, its about me. and besides, everyone has their skeletons and most, but not all have records. dont worry dude! you will rock on. in years to come you wont even think about your court slip.

hugs,
dot
Old 04-25-2004, 02:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Your making me feel a lot better!
Old 04-25-2004, 05:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY MARTY,YOU GOT IT MAN.DOT SAID IT WELL,IT'S ABOUT YOU!AS LONG AS YOU ARE OK THAT'S ENOUGH.EVERYTHING ELSE WILL FALL IN PLACE,I BELIEVE THAT TODAY.
STAY STRONG MARTY ted
:beerchug: :uzi2:
Old 04-25-2004, 06:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Doug

Over the last year I've noticed, (and heard talk about), the growing number of court orders showing up at meetings, in my area.

I've never thought anything one way or another about how folks get in.

I treat everybody the same, and it seems others do too.

Nothing to be embarrased about.