Notices

Twenty-Four Hours A Day for 1/16/2013

Old 01-16-2013, 12:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Arrow Twenty-Four Hours A Day for 1/16/2013

*~*~*~*^TwentyFourHoursADay^*~*~*~*

A.A. Thought for the Day
The A.A. program is more a way of building a new life than just a way of getting over drinking, because in A.A. we don't just stop drinking. We did that plenty of times in the old days when we "went on the wagon." And, of course, we always started to drink again, because we were only waiting for the time when we could fall off. Once we've gotten sober through the A.A. program, we start going uphill. In our drinking days, we were going downhill, getting worse and worse. We either go down or up. Am I going uphill, getting better and better?

Meditation for the Day
I will try to obey God's will day in and day out, in the wilderness plains as well as on the mountain tops of experience. It is in the daily strivings that perseverance counts. I believe that God is Lord of little things, the Divine Controller of little happenings. I will persevere in this new way of life. I know that nothing in the day is too small to be part of God's scheme.

Prayer for the Day
I pray that the little stones that I put into the mosaic of my life may make a worthwhile pattern. I pray that I may persevere and so find harmony and beauty.

(Twenty-Four Hours A Day) Hazelden Foundation 2013
Old 01-16-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I like to think I am slowly making my way uphill. It's definitely an uphill battle...but it's paradoxically as easy or difficult as we would like to make it.

Med - Every single thing is masterfully wound together in God's plan. Pretty crazy when you think about it. Every little thing. From sitting here typing on the computer to sipping coffee before work. I might feel small and insignificant in the grand scheme of the world, but God doesn't see it that way.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"The A.A. program is more a way of building a new life than just a way of getting over drinking"

This is why I attend meetings regularly. Drinking hasn't bothered me for decades. My "ISMs" bother me today and need to be addressed.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 01-16-2013, 07:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Perseverance comes up twice in this reading, and it gives me room for pause on this. I expected fireworks and marching bands in everything I did while I was active in my alcoholism, and I expected it when I got sober. I wanted instant gratification too. I wanted it all without doing anything. But what I have learned is that to get something I need to work for it. I need to stick with things to the end. I can't jump off once things get too hot for me, or when fear hits me. Perseverance isn't sexy, but the results can be. I can see the bearing of fruit in the little things - how I react to something differently, or my outlook on something. These are the measures of my work and the contentment and serenity in my life. I persevere when things are well and when they aren't. I am not in charge anymore. I just do what is asked.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I got on a elevator which had no UP button many many years ago.

I never tried to quit drinking till I was 39. By then I had no idea what life was about and how to live it..

Thank you God and AA for helping me each and every day learn how to..
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
"The A.A. program is more a way of building a new life than just a way of getting over drinking"

This is why I attend meetings regularly. Drinking hasn't bothered me for decades. My "ISMs" bother me today and need to be addressed.

All the best.

Bob R
ISM- Incredibly Short Memory.
must go to meetings to be reminded.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
stepping on my way...

Yes! Perfect!!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Building a new life is an uphill sort of thing. Sometimes it will be hard, but sometimes you can stop and rest upon what you've built. Good work!!