Notices

what would bill do / as I see it

Old 11-27-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi TSDD thanks for your reply you seem to look at things similarly to me.

I am sober almost 14 weeks I was sober around 5 or 6 when it was suggested I go to aa ( by a friend of mine who is quite a bit longer sober than I am and suggested I couldn't do it alone and should cone to meetings) he is doing really great love's aa and is whole heartedly involved but he doesn't live near me so I rarely see him at meetings.

I'm glad this thread has taken a direction toward honest and open discussion :-) nice to see
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I like the idea that AA originally qualified people to become members. But I also like how it has morphed into a more accepting of everyone place. And because of that, perhaps that's where the rigidity started.

My hope is that I can find a home meeting of intelligent, thinking people. I have not gone to the same meeting twice.

Tonight I am going to yet another AA meeting. I got something out of each of the three meetings I have been to. Not a lot yet. But something.

Maybe it is me that is not putting enough into it.

The last meeting I was at, I found that people were whining about mundane stuff in their lives that did not seem to have anything to do with anything. That was hard to listen to. But there were a few people that talked about important issues, and that made it worthwhile.

The one continuous thread I have found so far, is people being generous and kind to one another. People who want to help each other. An opportunity for me to help other people. And if I want it, people who want to help me.

Frankly, I don't see a problem in any of that. It doesn't have to be that black and white, and rigid, and stick-to-the-program-or-else. I am going to take what I need from AA and try to fluff off the rest.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hey SS-
When I first started AA, I was told "keep coming untill the miracle happens" I held onto that for awhile. I'm reading a great book right now "DROP THE ROCK" it's on steps 6&7.
It suggests to 'act as if' like practicing faith. If I want to move forward with my program, I pray to my HP, and 'act as if' There is a situation with a neighbor right now that I am 'acting as if' I am forgiving and accepting.
When I was out there drinking to blackouts, I didn't care what anyone said to me. All I cared about was if I had enough booze. I sort of used that in my early sobriety. I kept going to AA no matter what I agreed with. There were too many great people in the rooms smiling and laughing and not in pain. I wanted that and I wasn't going to let anyone take my chance at peace Please, keep going untill the miracle happens, you are worth it!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobersanity View Post
The reasons I ask questions here is because they dont get answered in and around the rooms but maybe thats just me.
I suspect the reason your questions don't get answered in the rooms is because people have tried and received the same argumentative attitude we're getting here. The reason you come here is so you have more answers to choose from and sadly, people here insist on investin valuable time into trying to answer your questions which personally I believe is like trying to push a rope. Actually, I'm beginning to enjoy the humor in your way of thinking. Thanks for the entertainment.

Dee, sorry if that's a little over the line but at this point, I can't seem to help myself.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heathersweeds View Post
Hey SS-
When I first started AA, I was told "keep coming untill the miracle happens" I held onto that for awhile. I'm reading a great book right now "DROP THE ROCK" it's on steps 6&7.
It suggests to 'act as if' like practicing faith. If I want to move forward with my program, I pray to my HP, and 'act as if' There is a situation with a neighbor right now that I am 'acting as if' I am forgiving and accepting.
When I was out there drinking to blackouts, I didn't care what anyone said to me. All I cared about was if I had enough booze. I sort of used that in my early sobriety. I kept going to AA no matter what I agreed with. There were too many great people in the rooms smiling and laughing and not in pain. I wanted that and I wasn't going to let anyone take my chance at peace Please, keep going untill the miracle happens, you are worth it!
Great book.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think there's been enough discussion and enough solutions presented to the OP.

This is a 12-step based recovery forum for individuals with alcoholism to share their experiences, strength and hope.

The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose.

This thread is closed under the following rule:

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
thanks

Dee
SR