Notices

Back at Work

Old 09-08-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back at Work

I'm a teacher and returned back to work this week. I was nervous because I'm early in recovery and work (or how I handled it) was a major factor in the progression of my disease.

Some unpleasant situations came up, things that would have set me into panic attacks, caused me to obsess and lose sleep....and drink. The atmosphere in my building is not positive and is toxic at times (it's not a good time to be an educator in my state and specifically my district).

I felt less centered than I have been. But yesterday afternoon, I reviewed my week and was filled with joy. For the first time in years, maybe ever, I truly love my job and enjoy it. I brought what I'm learning in AA and my higher power with me. It's liberating to know that I don't control anything other than my own actions and behavior. (I remind myself this when dealing with my mother as well).

I am so grateful for what AA has brought to my life beyond not drinking. I am so grateful that I'm discovering that it works in all aspects of my life.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Kelltic, I am in exactly the same place as you. A teacher, returning to work, realising how my perceptions of everything have changed.
I have an hours drive to my school, and I've found praying on those car journeys, connecting to my HP has radically changed how I view and deal with my daily stresses.
It is truly a miracle x
Old 09-08-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Coing out of our safe cocoon can be scary. I've found interacting with people, some of whom I just don't like, really tough. It can do a number on my serenity. So I pray and ask God to help me through it.

A great piece of advice I was given early in my sobriety was "restraint of pen and tongue". That helped me not shoot off those nasty emails when someone triggered me. I still live by it as best I can,14 years later.

Keep praying and reaching out here. Chances are someone has been through the exact the same thing and can offer their perspective.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AA has made a huge difference in my own career, as you have experienced.

It allows me to relax a little, enjoy it. Savor the good moments and not let the bad moments take over.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I'm back teaching, too (assisting, so the stress is quite less). So far, the entire staff has been seriously plagued with stress. Yes, we do work with behaviorally challenged students with serious special needs, but I can add that I am not (yet?) stressing.

I'll keep ya informed!

I wish you (all) a fabulously sober school year!!!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Same here Sugarbear, we have identical classes. I'm still smiling too!x
Old 09-08-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds like the same job, which im sure is a difficult one.....Only now the beginnings of seeing it through different eyes.

To me..."life takes on new meaning"......just means life actually stays the same, only its me that gets my mind reborn.....what used to be difficult now seems different somehow...i guess i got re-wired.

great to hear.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have 9th & 12th English & AP Language & Comp...a little different! Though one of my 9th classes is 25% special ed. Props to Jeni & Sugarbear, you must have a tremendous amount of patience!

So far, I caught a senior in a serious incident of academic dishonesty,my horrible former boss (now just a colleague - two of us developed PTSD from his bullying) tried to physically intimidate me, and a bunch of smaller stressors. And I am still smiling and looking forward to work. Glad you feel the same way!

I think part of what keeps some of us active in our disease is the feeling that we are alone or special or a victim. I love the FELLOWSHIP of AA!