Notices

stopped going to meetings

Old 08-31-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

stopped going to meetings

Hi all

2 months sober, but not doing so well.

I've been getting more and more tired lately and can barely stay awake past 8-9 at night. I get up at 5 every day for work too. This is a problem as most meetings are at 8-9ish and I don't drive. So after taking a bus to and from work then going out and taking 1 or 2 buses to a meeting and back im travelling like 2 hours a day plus going to bed late and getting worn out.

I don't know what to do...
Old 08-31-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just an idea---to cut down on travel time, maybe get some numbers at the next meeting you go to or ask others about getting rides to & from a meeting.
I usually do 4 meetings a week and get rides no problem as I lost my license (due to DUI's). Alcohol is a taker my friend. I got tired of having it take everything from me...the meetings are my medicine and they help keep me sober (almost 18 months now). I found it hard to ask for help early on but realized as others help me (like getting rides) I am told it also helps them. Plus I have developed new friendships thru the people who are helping me. Hang in there--you can do it!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey LTD!-

I am also without a drivers license for now. Google AA speakers online and you will get a number of sites with some awesome people sharing their experience, strength and hope. It's like having a speaker meeting right at your fingertips. I am so grateful to have found such freedom on the internet.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Some good suggestions here.

Getting more and more tired ..... have you seen a doctor lately? Are you eating right? Are you really taking care of yourself?
Old 08-31-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

there are also online meetings. if interested, drop me a PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovetodrink View Post
Hi all

I've been getting more and more tired lately and can barely stay awake past 8-9 at night. I get up at 5 every day for work too. This is a problem as most meetings are at 8-9ish and I don't drive. So after taking a bus to and from work then going out and taking 1 or 2 buses to a meeting and back im travelling like 2 hours a day plus going to bed late and getting worn out.

I think your priorities are getting screwed up. I had to put AA at the top of my "To Do" list.

Get some phone numbers at the meetings, I pick folks up all the time to go to meetings. They pick me up too.

If you heard a bar on the other side of town was giving away free beer from 10pm-midnight you would find a way to be there regularly.
AA is giving free recovery. If you want it you'll find a way to get it.

If recovery isn't your #1 job then I think you are in trouble. YMMV.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-31-2012, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

I agree with everyone else. Get numbers and ask for a ride. I take people all the time. I enjoy giving people rides to a meeting.

Make your recovery number 1!
Old 08-31-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Yep.... get #'s, some humility (took a lot of that for mighty ME to ask for help.....), and ask.

What I had to do (was "challenged" to do by a friend in the program with a lot of years) was, when they ask if there are any AA announcements, I'd stand up, say my name, tell roughly where I lived and ask if anyone there goes by my house to meetings to get with me afterwards because I needed to go to more but couldn't drive.

Lemme tell ya......my false ego reeeeeally didn't want me to do that. It wanted me to not go and feel sorry for myself, I guess. Anyway, try it - it made it a lot easier on me when I started "putting it out into the universe" that I needed help. For me, that act had to be overt and out in the open. Just praying for rides didn't work.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I no longer drive due to my limited vision.
Yes..I keep an AA phone list
I've yet to miss a meeting that I wanted to attend.

I agree with PaperDolls regarding checking with your doctor.
The fact you are constanly tired is worrysome..
Old 09-01-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

you ever drink at night or take a few buses to go get toasted?
Old 09-01-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was exhausted my first year of sobriety, so I understand. May I make suggestion?

I'd pick 2 f2f meetings a week......stick to the schedule. You could choose weekend meetings when you aren't working.

And try supplementing that with online meetings. They are around.

That might work out better for you.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

SLIP....Sobriety Loses Its Priority!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I will take this all into consideration. Even when I was drinking I generally wouldn't stay out late. Unless I had some coke or something. I'm just really fighting this extreme tiredness and fatigue.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovetodrink View Post
Hi all

Think about the lengths you'd go to to get a drink.

With myself, even living in a place where alcohol was prohibited by law, 100 or so miles from anywhere, and only accessable by plane, didn't stop me from getting my booze.

I had to be at LEAST as willing to go to the same lengths to get my recovery.

With myself - if I wanted to get sober - I needed to put it first and stop making excuses.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was also very, very fragile in my first year of sobriety. I started drinking older, then sobered up older, obviously.

Think age had a lot to do with it in my case. The fatigue does get better! Find a way to get to meetings on days when you have more relaxed time.

Getting into exhaustion isn't safe for me, anyway. My thinking went South. I must have slept 10 hours a day for a year.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

nikitma..Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 09-05-2012, 06:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

Welcome and thanks for being so honest with your posting.
I know how hard it is to pick up the phone I have a little over 8 years and I still don't do it real well, if at all. The thing about being new is, the disease still has a firm grip on a person and it likes to tell us we don't need meetings, or I am to tired to go, or I work to much, but the bottom line is it just wants to separate you from us so you will pick up again. I have heard over and over again from the ones that relapsed that it started off by not going to meetings. On-line meetings are good but again being new it is easy for us to hide, and when we are doing mostly on-line AA it is an acceptable reason for me to hide. I am speaking out of 1st hand knowledge on this one. I came very very close to drinking by doing only on-line meetings. I have to be around my own kind, that is one of the reasons I liked bars so much way back when. Like the song goes in Cheers, I want to go where everyone knows my name.:rotfxko
I saw a newcomer in a meeting ask for phone number of people who would pick her up for meetings, and so the only ones that put their phone numbers down were the people who didn't mind doing that. Please find the courage within your self to do this we don't want to lose another member over a problem that doesn't have to be one.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I felt bad and finally ended up getting checked out. Turns out I had type 2 diabetes, vitamin d deficiency and high blood pressure.. I never got sick until I got sober; just a medical fact is that alcohol actually lowers blood sugar. ;0 makes no sense to me. Anyhoo, meetings are a top priority for me and I carry a pocket BB in my bag. Prayer is always a top priority as well as gratittude
Old 09-05-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I think everyone covered everything. I hope you get there.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

do you have extra phone minutes? there is great AA workshops on

All Addictions Step Study

some are live, some are pre-recorded.

blessings, Lily