Notices

Oldies But Goodies

Old 06-23-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Originally Posted by UpperbucksAAguy View Post
I judge AA all the time. I don't think it is a bad thing to do. AA ( the fellowship especially) is not infallible
"AA"...the program works...therefore, I would consider it infallible.

As far as judging the "fellowship"...the people...I try not to take the inventory of others...I have a full-time job with my own.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

If you're finding fault with meetings or the people conducting them, you haven't gone to enough meetings to find the ones that are "right for you." I was fortunate living in North Jersey...we had two or three meetings each day in every town surrounding Newark. I went to a different meeting every night...sometimes a lunchtime meeting in downtown Newark where I worked...I often went to three meetings on Saturday. I hope you all live in areas where you have a wide variety of meetings where you'll feel comfortable.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

the lazy-bums and con-artists
If you feel there are people not pulling their weight, do you step up and volunteer to help out? Some of the best "meetings" are held before the regular meeting while setting up the tables and chairs, in the kitchen making coffee or cleaning up afterwards, breaking down the tables and chairs after the meeting. Where I come from, this is called "service" and important in recovery.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If you're finding fault with meetings or the people conducting them, you haven't gone to enough meetings to find the ones that are "right for you."
I would say the opposite is true- if you haven't found fault in meetings, you haven't gone to enough. THis isn't a bad thing. People get very defensive over something that needs no defense. It is a miracle that AA works at all, but it works quite well
Old 06-23-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

if you haven't found fault in meetings, you haven't gone to enough.
Unless I didn't have a vehicle and there wasn't another meeting within walking distance, I would find it too distracting to continue to attend meetings with which I found fault...I think it would be detrimental to my serenity and my sobriety.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

That isn't to say every meeting is without fault...that's the purpose of a Group Conscience Meeting...to iron out in a civilized way things that may be interfering with the smooth operation of the group.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

," if it helps them stay sober, then we let them talk." the sad thing was that me and a few others( with a LOT more time in than me) thought we were listening to people talking about their next drunk.
that meeting doesnt exist any more.
That must have been really uncomfortable and frustrating for you. I've heard it said that many new meetings are started by members who are dissatisfied with the way a certain meeting is conducted. There probably is some truth there.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Unless I didn't have a vehicle and there wasn't another meeting within walking distance, I would find it too distracting to continue to attend meetings with which I found fault...I think it would be detrimental to my serenity and my sobriety.
I generally pick out some sick meetings to attend. The fishing is always good there. Hungry alcoholics want the message. It is all in how we deliver it. I never try to fix a meeting unless I join ( I only have one home group)
Old 06-24-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

I generally pick out some sick meetings to attend. The fishing is always good there. Hungry alcoholics want the message. It is all in how we deliver it. I never try to fix a meeting unless I join ( I only have one home group)
"Love and tolerance of others is our code".
(page 84)

Except when in non-literature meetings. Then it is:

Love and tolerance of poopheads is our code".

Old 06-24-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

"Some are sicker than others." Some are also thicker than others. My serenity and sobriety are just as important to me as those "hungry alcoholics"...regardless of the number of years. I had two home groups...one a discussion group, the other an open meeting...both afforded opportunity for service.