Notices

I'm An Ungrateful Alcoholic...

Old 03-08-2012, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I'm An Ungrateful Alcoholic...

Decided to post this issue because the topic at many of my meetings has been gratitude. I'm not quite grateful for sobriety at the moment. I get stuck comparing myself to people my age who have things that I want. Most of these people have never struggled with addiction & I'm jealous. I was never able to establish a career, buy a home ect... because of my addiction. Some days I feel like I will never achieve anything. Other days I think I'm better than other people. I've been sober since Oct. and was sober 90% of 2011. Of course, the other 10% were serious benders. My physical health & appearance has improved greatly, my mental health not so much. At least I don't wish I was dead on a daily basis. I heard a grateful alcoholic will be less likely to drink again so I know it's important.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My sponsor told me not to compare other peoples' outsides with my insides. Or something like that. You never know, they might be mentally tormented or have some other serious issues.

I am sorry you are feeling crummy. But you are sober now, and anything is possible!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
At least I don't wish I was dead on a daily basis.
I'll 'not' drink to that. We have about the same sober date and I sure do know about not having all those things that my old (non-addict) friends now have. I have gratitude that I actually have a purpose, even though I haven't found 'it' yet. The time will come when being sober and of sound mind will be a key in making it happen. Corny maybe, but I now enjoy and am grateful for the little things I 'get' to do (not what I 'have' to do).
Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just wanted to add that if I think about things to hard, I get very depressed too. I am taking action- I am in school, going to meetings every day, working with my sponsor and I am getting ready to really get into planting and yard work. That is something I can really see the fruits of my labor in. If you don't have a yard, how about a patio/pot garden? Plants cheer me up for some reason.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I can't recall how long you've been sober, but I know I went through similar feelings. All my past caught up to me and I wasn't seeing a way out.

My saving grace at this point in my sobriety (and I believe it is different for everyone) is when I met my first sponsor, day 12 in sobriety, this time around. This is my entry into the program of AA, not just the meetings. The step work began. It continues.

I haven't looked at my early posts on SR, but I was recently reminded I really wasn't a nice person. I was a person who was hurting, a lot. It showed. Slowly, things changed for me, my work on me was beginning.

What I do know is that things do change, if you can continue moving forward in sobriety. I once read that smiling fools the body into believing it is happy and creates a series of changes within. Try it. Maybe write a gratitude list, even if it's 1. sober today 2. breathing (alive). Things do change. Give time time.

Just today, stay stopped.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wink

Decided to post this issue because the topic at many of my meetings has been gratitude. I'm not quite grateful for sobriety at the moment. I get stuck comparing myself to people my age who have things that I want. Most of these people have never struggled with addiction & I'm jealous. I was never able to establish a career, buy a home ect... because of my addiction. Some days I feel like I will never achieve anything. Other days I think I'm better than other people. I've been sober since Oct. and was sober 90% of 2011. Of course, the other 10% were serious benders. My physical health & appearance has improved greatly, my mental health not so much. At least I don't wish I was dead on a daily basis. I heard a grateful alcoholic will be less likely to drink again so I know it's important.
keep up the good work Just One day at a time!
Old 03-09-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Cool

Hi Just, Thanks for your honesty. Thank goodness the only requirement is a desire to stop drinking and not any other changable mind state.

I have the desiderata posted on my wall and one line states ....do not compare yourself with others for there will always be lesser and greater persons than yourself. I use this when I can especially in meetings where it seems some personalities attempt to be "more grateful or more sober than another"
Old 03-09-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was very suicidal when I came to recovery. I remember clearly early in the process where I wanted to shoot someone else rather than myself..... I thought "What a giant leap forward !! I don't want to kill me !!!".
It's all relative and I was guaranteed that if I kept coming to AA that things would get better, and they have.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-09-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Compare yourself with yourself. Otherwise you're setting yourself up to fail. Nothing else is relevant -- it's only ego. It takes a while to feel comfortable in your own skin. Time varies for each of us. For me it was the good part of a year.

Once in a while I'll feel like you do now (after 20 years) but I snap out of it quickly because I know I need to increase my meetings. I'm not saying you should, this is my program. It also took a while to understand that feelings change constantly. What I know is nothing can get so bad, so terrible, that a drink won't make worse.

Here's a slogan: Feelings Aren't Facts"

If you don't have a sponsor I recommend one. It's ok to feel ungrateful from time to time, just don't pick over a drink.