Notices

Getting a new sponsor

Old 03-06-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting a new sponsor

My sponsor had to step back a few months ago and I have been putting off getting a new one. Along with that my meeting attendance has dropped (to 2-3 a week). So today I am going to get a new sponsor. I may have to ask if she will be a "temporary" sponsor, but it's definitely time. I need a (gentle) kick in the rear.

Honestly the fact that my one-year sober-versay is coming up on 3/15 is freaking me out - I need a sponsor by then. Asking tonight at my regular Tuesday meeting.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excellent, I know how you feel......Let us know how it went.

In the past, I've gotten married with less analyzing and self-debating than choosing a sponsor.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I agree to sponsor...I ask the woman to sit with me and
we go over the official AA guideline...
Most meetings have them on the free literature rack.here it is on line

Alcoholics Anonymous : Pamphlets

Blessings to both of you as you connect with joy and purpose..
Old 03-07-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think that beginning by asking for temporary sponsorship is a fine thing to do.
Don't shoot yourself in the foot by putting too many expectations on your one-year anniversary. It's a beautiful gift from God and your own willingness has been a part of it, but it is also just another day. Lower your expectations and give the credit to God and you won't have to be screwed up by either excitement or fear. Don't get in your own way. You'll be fine.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Good for you, we all need a kick in the butt sometimes.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I was encouraged to "turn it over" when I figured out I needed to change sponsors. I picked my first one as best I could......he was great for a while but I outgrew him and he, well... he's not drinking but not living a life that I'd want any part of in sobriety. So.... it was suggested I ask God to find a better one for me. At that point, it became my duty to be present at a fair amount of meetings, hit new meetings, do some seeking, and keep my heart, mind, eyes, and ears open.

Sure enough.......one sat AM it struck me to go to a meeting. I found a 8:30AM Sat meeting (ppl serious about AA hit early am weekend meetings.....just a hint if you're trying to avoid MOTR meetings) and on my second time there I stood up during announcements and said I needed rides to/from meetings (I was driving illegally at the time). The guy who became my sponsor was tapping me on the shoulder before I sat down and said he'd pick me up anytime to go to a meeting. The sad part is I had made that same announcement at my homegroup several times and never had anyone offer to help me out.

Not only did I get a great sponsor........I also found a "real" meeting and a new homegroup.