Notices

Down and out

Old 12-20-2003, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Down and out

Last Monday night I wen't to an AA meeting. I thought it was really cool. All the support and love. I've been to 4 meetings before. Twice with my cousin in my hometown. Once when I right when I moved here and last Mon. The first couple times with my cousin I went in support of him----and I knew I had a problem too, but wasn't ready to quit. The next was here--the new town I live in, but I continued on drinking. On Monday night I felt a sense of peace knowing-----actually seeing people who had the same problem. But all the talk of drinking made me want to drink even worse. I wen't out and drank. Now I really know I am completley powerless over booze. I even drank last night at a Christmas party came home and wrote e-mails drunk to freinds I grew up with----im sure there really impressed. A few freinds called tonite and wanted me to come over---for fear of drinking going on I lied and said I had to go to my Uncle's and would call them later--I feel bad about that----blah---blah---blah. Im going to a meeting tommorow. Im going to be quit and keep it to myself about slipping up, I don't wan't them to think I just pop in when im down. What is the frequency that people go to these meetings? I really need help. More than I thought. If I don't quit this cycle I don't know If I can go on.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi again Fletch!

Dont beat yourself up mate, get back to the meetings.....they say 30 meetings in 30 days , is good, I did not make quite that number, due to other comittments, but nearly . Get some phone numbers while you are there, and , more importantly, use them.

Take the body , and the mind will follow! Dont forget , DONT pick up the FIRST drink.....TODAY, and you will stay sober .

Take the time, after the meetings , to talk to, and get to know the people there , take an adress book, and accept any phone numbers offered to you .

Good Luck mate, you can do it ! one day at a time . They sure add up, those x1 days

HUGX
lee
Old 12-20-2003, 03:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

hi fletch

my name is dotcom and im an addict/alcoholic. DOS 01-17-03. wow! its great that you got to a meeting! keep going back! in the first few months of my recovery, i was feeling to unworthy of meetings...and i was still living in my insanity. i had a therapist to talk to , but it just wasnt enough for me. then i got involved in a small 12 step group. yes, at times i had to force myself to go...and sometimes all the talk about using made me want to use/drink myself. BUT id rather be with them just talking about it than out there using/drinking about it! just me is right, 30 meetings in 30 days if you can. and dont feel bad about slipping up...weve all done it! i wish you the best fletch!

dotcom
Old 12-20-2003, 06:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Face the Music

Originally posted by angelily
Fletch,
I had to go to 90 in 90 if my sponsor was to sponsor me. There were times that I just did not want to go and ended up going anyway. I always heard what I needed to hear and was glad that I had gone.
Just me said it. Get the #'s and use them. Look at the simalarities and not the differences. Listen to the people share and you will find someone that you relate to that could be your sponsor.
Just don't drink today and Don't give up 5 minutes before the miracle.
As Bill Sees It. Page 251."Don't be too discouraged about that slip. Practically always, we drunks learn the hard way. "Your idea of moving on to somewhere else may be good, or it may not. Perhaps you have got into an emotional jam that can't be well handled where you are. But maybe you are doing just what all of us have done, at one time or another: Maybe you are running away. Why don't you try to think that through again carefully? "Are you placing recovery first, or are you making it contingent upon other people, places, or circumctances? You may find it ever so much better to face the music right where you are now,and, with the help of the A.A. program, win through. Before you make a decision, weigh it in these terms.
Old 12-20-2003, 06:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb

Glad to see you are going back.

Old AA saying "Meeting Makers Make It"

Think of them as classrooms for finding sobriety...the more you go...the quicker you learn.

I have been sober awhile...I still go 4/5 times a week.
Makes me feel wonderful!!
Old 12-20-2003, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Paused

Hello Fletch. Keep going to meetings. It took me quite a while going to meetings 5-6 a week before I was able to grab the program. For me, I knew I was powerless over alcohol and admitted many times I was an alcoholic. I used to laugh and joke that I was an alcoholic while I was pouring me a drink. I knew I was powerless. It wasn't until I accepted the fact I was powerless and accepted I was an alcoholic that the fog slowly started to lift. Acceptance instead of admitting was key for me. I wouldn't have been able to realize this had I stopped going to meetings. Take care and know that you do have a choice. Keep coming back.

Nelson
Old 12-20-2003, 09:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Chy

Originally posted by nelson
Hello Fletch. Keep going to meetings. It took me quite a while going to meetings 5-6 a week before I was able to grab the program. For me, I knew I was powerless over alcohol and admitted many times I was an alcoholic. I used to laugh and joke that I was an alcoholic while I was pouring me a drink. I knew I was powerless. It wasn't until I accepted the fact I was powerless and accepted I was an alcoholic that the fog slowly started to lift. Acceptance instead of admitting was key for me. I wouldn't have been able to realize this had I stopped going to meetings. Take care and know that you do have a choice. Keep coming back.

Nelson

Gee I nearly thought I wrote that! Good stuff maynard!
Old 12-21-2003, 09:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Fletch,
You wrote:
"Im going to a meeting tommorow. Im going to be quit and keep it to myself about slipping up, I don't wan't them to think I just pop in when im down."

Are you sure you don't want to be honest just in case you decide you want to go out again?? This is the time to let the people at the meeting know what's going on so they can help you, unless you don't want the help. Maybe you can still figure this thing out yourself....huh?? It's all EGO my friend!

Also:
"What is the frequency that people go to these meetings? I really need help. More than I thought. If I don't quit this cycle I don't know If I can go on."

I was told to work as hard getting sober as I did getting drunk. That meant that I had to go to meetings every day for a while. I drank every day, so it figured I would go to meetings every day. People who "really" want to stop drinking, tend to do whatever it takes. People who don't want to stop drinking, come up with excuses. Many people "really need" help but just as many people "really don't want" help. They think they can still do it on their own. I was given a "NEWS FLASH" when I first came to AA. "My best thinking is what got me here." I needed to try someone else's way. If you don't quit the cycle, you may be able to keep going on but for how long and do you really want to keep going on the way you are going? The proof is in the results. My first sponsor told me, "If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you always got!" My choice, and yours!
Old 12-21-2003, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Paused

Music,
You said it((((((((((That was awsome))))))))))))))).
I was told that if Nothing Changes, Nothing Changes..
You got to want this or it will not work.. Tried it own my on and it got me right back. You have to do step 1 100% everyday.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Fletch

I imagine it varrys with everybody, but I went daily the first few years, now I go 3 to 4 times a week.

Jay
Old 12-21-2003, 12:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I first got to recovery, I was going to at least 5 meetings a week. I have tried less, but even after 16+ years of sobriety, I still attend at lest 4 meetings per week, usually 6. The times when I haven't been able to do that or just didn't make the effort have been roller coaster times.

Music said: "Are you sure you don't want to be honest just in case you decide you want to go out again?? This is the time to let the people at the meeting know what's going on so they can help you, unless you don't want the help. Maybe you can still figure this thing out yourself....huh?? It's all EGO my friend!"

Music has an excellent point about being honest. I would be surprised if you don't find a tremendous amount of understand and support if you do let the group know what happened. You won't be the first!!